• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Broadband contingency when BT Line is down.

dobhrai

Standard Member
Hi,

Our business BT line is working intermittently due to a BT fault that will not be rectified for 8 weeks.

I would like to know if there is a alternative solution to internet enabling my network until this problem is solved.

On my network, I have 5 desktops, 1 server, 2 voip phones, pdq machine and a printer. All are cat5e wired back to a switch and then the switch is connected to the BT hub 3. We are not heavy internet users.

I was wondering if there was a way of internet enabling the BT hub (ie: via a 4g dongle) and then everything connected would automatically be enabled too.

Thank you for your time and any assistance would be appreciated.

dee.

NB: Virgin do not provide broadband in our area. If I had a backup line from any other provider, chances are that line would also have been knocked out by this fault.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The only idea at the moment is mobile broadband that is shared on your network.
You would need someone familiar with this kind of thing but it would be one desktop with the mobile broadband set to share it's internet connection to your network and that would be seen by other PCs.
A big problem could be the amount of data - VOIP will use an awful lot.

MarkE19

There are some routers that you could use instead of the Business Hub that has a USB port for connecting a 3G/4G USB dongle to. Then if the BT broadband goes down the 3G takes over and as it is connected to the router.
I have setup Draytek and TP-Link routers with 3G and it does work well. However as said the VOIP phones would eat up your data allowance.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom