Broadband advice

AdamD10

Standard Member
Reaction score
Been with BT for years and thinking of a change now I am out of contract. Not overly impressed with the service and speed, oh and price! Out of contract so now £48/month inc BT sport for Fibre 2. Very expensive.

Considering virgin media’s M100 at £24/month which is up to 108mbs so a lot more than BT. Admittedly it doesn’t include BT sport which I would like but I’d prefer a faster, more reliable service so could get rid of this if needs be. I work from home so need a decent connection. 18 months which is better than BT’s 24.

Any thoughts on virgin?

Any other decent options? Don’t really want cheap and cheerful and have a rubbish service but also unsure I’m getting value currently.

Oh and I like the idea of the backup options they both offer (can’t remember what the virgin one is called), halo 3+ is the bt option. What I can’t seem to see is the difference between halo, halo 3, complete broadband etc. with bt

Help needed!

We recently changed from BT to virgin and the speed difference was amazing. We now get 400Mbps download speeds. We also changed my daughters sim contract to virgin as you get a healthy discount when you are a broadband customer.
The only bad thing is the wireless router they provide doesn’t have great WiFi coverage. In the rooms furthest from the router the speeds were dropping to half of what they were next to the router. A mesh system has sorted that out but that was obviously An additional cost.
I haven’t had any need to contact customer service so can’t comment on that but I assume they are all terrible.
672E1B3E-4C38-4A7A-B59B-A9990B660957.png

In my years of dealing with BB providers, virgins customer service is worse than abysmal
With BT just now and CS is ok
Was with SKY and there CS was excellent

Please use the search function as General Chat isn’t the most appropriate forum.

I wouldn't be worried about alternatives being cheap and cheerful. BT is already a discount ISP that's not known for it's knowledgeable customer service.

Virgin operate on the same up front discounts, every rising prices business model as BT so if you go down that route you will need to swap again soon after the minimum contract is up.

I wouldn't be worried about alternatives being cheap and cheerful. BT is already a discount ISP that's not known for it's knowledgeable customer service.

Virgin operate on the same up front discounts, every rising prices business model as BT so if you go down that route you will need to swap again soon after the minimum contract is up.
Yes their prices do go up but in near 30 years a quick phone call has always sorted out a good price.

Although I didn't have many issues with virgin BB itself I did with the billing and Customer services when I was with them. They also employ traffic shaping which BT don't.

I've been with BT now for about 6 years and every time my contract is up I simply phone up and ask them if they can give me a better or similar discount deal to the one I'm on, and they always do pretty much without hesitation.

I've never paid more than £35. In fact they suggested I put a date to contract them in my calendar so I could phone and negotiate a new deal at my contract expiry.

You may be out of contract but I am pretty sure a phone call will secure you a pretty good discount if you choose to renew.

Although I didn't have many issues with virgin BB itself I did with the billing and Customer services when I was with them. They also employ traffic shaping which BT don't.
I know people say this but from my own experience I haven't seen any evidence of this. It might be for torrents maybe but I run those through a VPN.

I know people say this but from my own experience I haven't seen any evidence of this. It might be for torrents maybe but I run those through a VPN.
I've not been with VM for some time, so not sure how it is these days, but when I was with them OMG! come evenings around 6pm games would lag, I'd get server disconnects, it was always a nightmare to game online at peak times. I don't know about torrent but I wouldn't imagine they would matter much since they are not response time or necessarily bandwidth dependent, but games back then! pfft! forget about it.

In fairness I don't know how it is these days but, as i said I only left them for the billing problems I had (double billed 3 months in a row each time told they had fixed the problem only to have it reoccur)

6pm was they used to switch from metered to unmetered in the days when they had data caps. No such caps these days. And I think WFH has smoothed that transition where people would come home and go online at roughly the same time. Of course there is still peak traffic in the evenings and if you are in a oversubscribed area the time you are mostly likely to get slowdown but nowhere near as bad.

They still do deep packet inspection so illegal stuff more likely to get blocked but most of that traffic is encrypted these days.

Why don't you go with someone like Cuckoo Broadband who offer FIXED prices unlike a lot of these other providers. Their contracts are also 30 day rolling, or 12 month contracts. After the contract ends, you are always put onto the new customer price.

And just subscribe to BT Sport via their Sports Pass which is a rolling contract and use their app to access it on your TV/Firestick.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom