1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brits 25 on Freeview looking sweet

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jwramsay, Feb 10, 2005.

1. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Watching this tonight on my 434 and the picture quality is superb through my Pioneer Freeview box. Have they maxed the bandwidth on ITV or what?!

2. WRX.CO.UK

WRX.CO.UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just going to ask the question on the picture quality from the BRITS.

Watched it on SKY with my ageing CRT 29" and it did look superb, crystal clear, excellent colours not faults at all. My problem is I want to buy either the Hitachi or Pioneer, but the mag review quite often slag of the picture quality from SKY. Can't see the point of shelling out £2000 for a worse pic than I already have. or should I wait for SED?

SO whats the view from the Plasma viewers:- perfic pics or what?

Lee.

3. atko

atko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i just wonderd if it was something to do with compression.
    Take eastenders if its filmed 5 nights a week and then shown to the public 4 weeks later it would have to be compressed quite badly,in simple terms filmed in long play to cut filming costs.
    If you look at a one off program like the brit awards or even programs which are shown once a week and are normally live ie frank skinner show or j.ROSS show these types of programs are always shown the next day to the public after they have edited them so this means they are almost uncompressed which means the HQ picture you see on your plasma.
    Thats what i think anyway.

4. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    atko your idea is not true.

BBC/ITV etc can CHOOSE how much compression to use. The time that it is filmed has no indication on what compresion is used.

If the BBC chooses to make A program look bad they can do so. It doesn't matter if it was filmed 4 weeks ago or a day ago. It would not be filmed in long play to cut costs.

BBC/ ITV quality imo is good.

Koing

5. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,685
    Looked great on my Plasma :smashin: . So much so , I comented to myself how good it looked , compared to the usual drivel ITV output (popstar/idol even the CL footie)

John

Disclaimer - I don't watch pop**** - swmbo does/did - the pictue was/is terrible :laugh: still , matched the content :D

6. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I too noticed the excellent quality of the Brits broadcast. I think it may well have been recoreded using High Def equipmenmt (the BBC do use this now as a lot of stuff is sold to other countries). This, in conjunction with high bitrate broadcast would explain the top quality picture. Usually with this kind of event you would see some blocking / smearing of detail with fast camera pans, bright colours and flashing stage lights etc. I saw none of this on the Brits. Just goes to show how good SD broadcasts can look, and how much quality is sacrificed to cram in load of useless channels and interactive content that nobody wants. My worry is that High Def will go the same way in a few years as the channel count increases.

7. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Same here, watching it again just now, looks fantastic on my Pio435.

Have to say there does seem to be a good noticable difference now I have had the screen for a few weeks, seems to have excelled this last week or so.

There even seems to be an improvment when watching the usually lower quality broadcasts such as Eastenders etc. (thats lower quality image, not acting BTW :laugh: )

If any one is reading thinking of buying then the Pio is brill!

Steve

8. IanGW

IanGW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting opinions. I agree that the colours etc were very good. I thought that the general presentation did not feel natural, a little bit jumpy especially when the camera moved quickly. The pickure did not appear sharp to me either. The next day I asked a few other people to see if they noticed, some did, others did not.

I was told this may be due to the filming format.

Did anyone else notice this?

If anyone still has the Brits25 on Sky+, watch carefully again.