British Superbikes at Donington

Tobers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My 2nd go at bike photography, the first being Brands a few weeks back which got me into Fast Bikes mag which was very pleasing (though they miscredited me which wasnt).

This time round I was primarily trying to get my panning sorted out, and working out what shutter speed to go for. Tricky business, but I found 1/250th seemed to work quite well. Sometimes I went to 1/30th but that gave me a really poor hit rate. Getting the pan centered on the rider is really tough and takes a lot of practice which I haven't had.

Lots of photographers there too, including many behind the fence with some really rather superb kit, some of whom I'm sure we've seen on here already. One of the pros was lucky enough to be at the bottom of Melbourne Loop as the first BSB race started and he got the whole Guintoli crash beautifully captured, flames and all. Shot of the day for sure. Bizarrely I'd gone to the end of the back straight having recalled a similar dramatic crash at a MotoGP a few years back when it was still the 500cc GP, where someone ran into the back of someone else (Scwantz?) and caught their front brake lever. This gave 100% max front brake effectively pinging the rider up in the air as the bike somersaulted. Nothing as dramatic for me, but this one chap chose the right spot yesterday for sure.

So here's a few pics. Apologies again for the copyright logo which is there due to rights holder's regulations which cant be infringed by accredited togs.

#1 Tom Grant squeezing his rear tyre into the tarmac.
546806824_jD7rz-M.jpg

#2 Patrick McDougall grinding the track away.
546805494_C4AV9-M.jpg

#3 Maxxis ladies. Somehow my camera slipped down a bit from their faces.
546810040_vvCcJ-M.jpg

#4 The KTM RC8s definitely sound the best of the lot
546810852_SP84S-M.jpg

#5 Camier wins 1st race
546815468_RNezJ-L.jpg

#6 Plater managed to stay on for once
546801917_A8GrD-M.jpg

#7 Ellison leading race 2 with a looooowwww shutter - 1/50th I think. Pure luck to get the rider sharp. You're not seeing the 15 others that were all blurry. Still - you make your own luck I guess.
546803822_TQUtz-M.jpg

#8 And lastly, a different sort of shot that I quite like.
546815181_oWWAY-L.jpg

The jury is still out on how enjoyable I'm finding this sort of photography. There's something a little lacklustre about it compared to pro rugby, but I do love the pictures that come out at the end of the day. Plus you've got to walk miles and miles - I was knackered at the end of the day. Still learning though and seeing as I actually really enjoy bike racing I cant complain.

Cheers

Tobers

Excellent set, theres a couple there that are really outstanding :smashin:

Some cracking shots there, I especially like the spark off the peg shot :)
It's a shame it was overcast by the looks of the last photo it might of brought out some real punch to the colours, thats British weather for you and summers supposedly on the way :)

Mike.P®;9591160 said:
Excellent set, theres a couple there that are really outstanding :smashin:

YEah - I really like that "outstanding couple" too :rotfl:

Are there anymore shots after number 3?

Mike.P®;9595787 said:
Ahhh, am I THAT transparent :rotfl:

As transparent as Nikkor quality glass! :D

Hello there

Another great write up Andy.:thumbsup: and great set yet again:thumbsup:

Do like that last one.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

Quality stuff again. I love the smoothness and position in #7. Nice one.

The comment about the sound of the KTM's wouldn't be coloured by your personal ownership-based bias would it?;)

Cracking write up again tobers. Love #2 and strangly drawn to #3 :smashin:

I am off to the Isle of Man end of next week for the TT.

Never done bikes before so this pan stuff should be ineresting, Any more tips Andy:)

Doug

Never done bikes before so this pan stuff should be ineresting, Any more tips Andy:)

You'll have a great time at the Isle of Man. Loads to capture and plenty of space too.

For the panning stuff, you need to sort your shutter speed out first. I went from 1/40th like in shot #7 to 1/250th like in shot #5. The slower the speed the harder it is to get a decent image. Remember that the bit that is sharp will be the bit that is in the centre of the lens, so it's best to be zoomed out a bit and crop in later to get the right effect.

When panning, try and be smooth and "follow through". I used a monopod for some of mine but you can have problems on corners as the camera tries to follow a horizontal line but the bike is moving up & down as it crosses the frame. Use a tilt head if you have one, or just handhold. Bear in mind I had a 300 2.8 on which is a bit heavy :D.

If you have a head-on shot, freezing the action will be better so go for a higher shutter speed (1/1000th or more) and use the biggest aperture possible to blur the background.

BUT...before you even press the shutter, sort out your location, and specifically your background. There's nothing worse than a load of hi-viz jacketed marshalls getting in shot even if they are blurred. Scout the location first, decide on your background, then worry about the pics.

Also, try and get down low as bikes look cool looming above you. Lie on your front if you have to, or get in a ditch.

Have fun!

A good set ! and the bike pics are good to !! :thumbsup:

You'll have a great time at the Isle of Man. Loads to capture and plenty of space too.

For the panning stuff, you need to sort your shutter speed out first. I went from 1/40th like in shot #7 to 1/250th like in shot #5. The slower the speed the harder it is to get a decent image. Remember that the bit that is sharp will be the bit that is in the centre of the lens, so it's best to be zoomed out a bit and crop in later to get the right effect.

When panning, try and be smooth and "follow through". I used a monopod for some of mine but you can have problems on corners as the camera tries to follow a horizontal line but the bike is moving up & down as it crosses the frame. Use a tilt head if you have one, or just handhold. Bear in mind I had a 300 2.8 on which is a bit heavy :D.

If you have a head-on shot, freezing the action will be better so go for a higher shutter speed (1/1000th or more) and use the biggest aperture possible to blur the background.

BUT...before you even press the shutter, sort out your location, and specifically your background. There's nothing worse than a load of hi-viz jacketed marshalls getting in shot even if they are blurred. Scout the location first, decide on your background, then worry about the pics.

Also, try and get down low as bikes look cool looming above you. Lie on your front if you have to, or get in a ditch.

Have fun!

Woosh. Thank you. Lots ot take in. Lets hope for good weather and some cracking shots:)

Thanks agiain.. prints out to keep in pocket :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom