British & Irish Lions 2021 tour to South Africa

gavinl1967

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Squad announced at lunchtime today:-

Backs: Josh Adams (Wales), Bundee Aki (Ireland), Dan Biggar (Wales), Elliot Daly (England), Gareth Davies (Wales), Owen Farrell (England), Chris Harris (Scotland), Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ali Price (Scotland), Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales), Finn Russell (Scotland), Duhan Van Der Merwe (Scotland), Anthony Watson (England), Liam Williams (Wales).

Forwards: Tadhg Beirne (Ireland), Jack Conan (Ireland), Luke Cowan-Dickie (England), Tom Curry (England), Zander Fagerson (Scotland), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), Jamie George (England), Iain Henderson (Ireland), Jonny Hill (England), Maro Itoje (England), Wyn Jones (Wales), Courtney Lawes (England), Ken Owens (Wales), Andrew Porter (Ireland), Sam Simmonds (England), Rory Sutherland (Scotland), Justin Tipuric (Wales), Mako Vunipola (England), Hamish Watson (Scotland), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales, capt).

Some big name omissions, Sexton, Navidi, May, Sinckler and some curve ball inclusions, Price, Van der Merwe, Simmonds and Daly.

As a Scotland fan, I'm over the moon to have 8 players included.

Thoughts?

A few surprises in there for me. Farrell for one. His kicking is always good but he didn't have the greatest Six Nations. At least he can cover the inside centre and fly half positions. Bundee Aki is another surprise pick. I wonder would he have been going had George North not picked up a serious injury.

Like you I'm surprised at Ali Price's selection. For me he's a little too predictable, I thought Tomos Williams was in with a shout. I'm glad to see Maro Itoji is going. He didn't have a very good Six Nations and I think he's an outstanding second rower. Worth taking for his nuisance value.

I think the problem that Farrell & the Saracen players faced was lack of game time for the 6 nations.... boy did that show.
He is a quality player, but a little hot headed. Surprised that he is England captain.

Farrell is has been a world class player and a big game player for years now. He has to be in the squad even if he didn't step foot on the pitch once. I think he starts at 12 as biggar and russell cannot be trusted on their own to manage the game.

Not at all happy that the TMO is a South African.....
Lions by 7 for me.

I think this test will be particularly brutal
Better to veer on caution & not lose him 20mins into first test. Think it's sensible not to jepordise him for the rest of the series.
He won't be happy, but wrap him in cottonwool for a week.
The man is a warrior.

Apologies to you sir.
I thought it was Alan Wyn Jones injured. Not the prop Wyn Jones.
But of course still a massive lost.

What a side the Springboks are. Absolute class, technically brilliant.

Pen count is a bit worrying.
As is the lineout

Excellent start. Game on.

To be fair I don't know how on earth the TMO has called that as definitely being ahead.

Another one here....

It's been some 2nd half turnaround.

That guy whose just taken the ball to the face. What a brick shithouse :laugh:

Great comeback, but some panic defending.
Definitely forward from SA, but we are certainly riding our luck here.

Great win, albeit a bit of a lucky win IMO. I've only just finished watching the match as we had our niece and nephew at the beach this afternoon - staying away from social media has been a struggle o_O

Superb start to the series.
Lawes & itoje were gladiators.
There will always be disagreements about team selections but Gatland called it & the team responded after a poor first half.
I love the Lions & refreshing that all 4 of our countries were represented.

Looking forward to this.
I think the Lions changes all make sense.
If we stay disciplined & watch that pen count I can only see one outcome.
Lions to win by 10 & the series.
🦁

What a 1st half that was. Absolutely bonkers.

Do you think it will be 15 v 15 at the end?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom