British Gas Safe and secure intruder alarm - my review

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by shahedz, Aug 4, 2013.

1. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    I thought I would post my review of the British Gas safe and secure alarm as their are often threads asking for recommendations on alarms. I am currently renovating a bungalow. You can see it at Build my Bungalow! I need to buy an alarm for the place so shortlisted a few and went with the British gas safe and secure system.

System requirements

1Wanted to be alerted when the alarm was triggered
    2 Ability to monitor remotely and set alarm- helps in case I forget to set the alarm.
    3 Ability to install additional motion senors , door sensors etc

Wired or Wireless

Wired tends to be more reliable than wireless, however fitting a wired system is best to do when you're redecorating , or renovating like I am so you can chase all the cables in the wall. Retro fitting a wired system can often be quite a messy task. Wireless technology has hugely improved over the years , and with improved battery performance I was leaning towards a wireless alarm.

A wireless systems were quoted cheaper due to the little amount of time it takes to install.

I contacted a few companies local to me but the quotes were coming in for around £1000- that was with me getting my builders to run any cables first too.

If I wanted to be alerted that the alarm had gone off I was looking at a around £25-30 a month in monitoring fees- this I thought was pretty expensive. Especially because the police would not be called straight away. Someone phoning me to tell me my alarm had gone is no more useful than a text or email.

I looked at ADT, Yale alarms , alarms on ebay etc.

The monthly fees ruled out ADT, Yale didn't have a remote app to set the alarm or check on it remotely. I didn't trust the quality of the alarms on ebay.

I discovered that British Gas have entered the home security alarm market with , their alarm is called Safe and Secure.

This ticked all the boxes for.

1) Low monthly fee for Text alerts £8- ( If you don't want the text alerts you can save £8 a month)
    2) iphone and android app to remotely monitor the alarm and activate / deactivate the alarm.
    3) Easy to set up self install this is due to the fact it is also a wireless system
    4) Not expensive

So what do you get?

For £199 you get the starter pack

1 hub- this is connected to your router via a cat5 cable. This can be hidden anywhere
    2 two motion sensors ( these can be upgraded to pet friendly sensors free of charge )
    3 2 remote fobs- to turn the alarm on and off, like a car remote . I preferred this over having a keypad on the wall of the hallway like most alarms.
    4 Smart plug- you can plug a light/radio etc to into the smart plug and remotely turn it on and off from the app. Smart plug also acts as a signal booster for all the sensors and home plug.
    5 - Decoy box- looks like an external siren but doesn't actually make a noise

I didn't want a fully monitored service with police response as I am having IP cameras installed inside and have bought CCTV outside which can be remotely monitored. If the alarm goes off, I can remotely see if the bungalow has been broken into via the cameras and call the police myself. The alarm can also email a second person so I can give a family member access to the CCTV and they can see if anyone has broken in too.

I am awaiting for the walls to be plastered and then will install the alarm and go into more details on the interface.

Any questions please fire away and i will do my best to answer.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. steponte

steponte
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

How did it go? i really liked what you have wrote, i agree that the market is an expensive one and theat BG offer a good deal on the safe and secure system.

I work for British Gas, but the energy side, so know nothing about this device and find very little customer feedback which one can assume that its a good product, because we all know when its bad you see it everywhere :)

I would be interested to hear how you have got on with it, i did speak to the team that deal with it and they said i could upgrade the outdoor siren to a real for one for somewhat £70-£80. not sure if that is worth it.

Please respond

thanks

Steve

3. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    Hi steve, actually installing all the bits this weekend as running behind on the build. Will update thread. I'm going to go for the internal siren and possibly outdoor one too

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    Hi Steve

Installed the safe and secure yesterday. An absolute piece of cake to install. A genuine self install. Took me less than 30 minutes to install 3 motion sensors and 2 door sensors. You literally plug the hub in, put the batteries in the sensors and then stick them up.

The online and android app interface is excellent. Very simple to use and allows you to re label each sensor.

It comes with a smart plug which you can plug a light etc into to , so you can control it remotely (as well as work out how much electricity a device plugged into uses)

You can add devices at a later date too. So will buy the internal and external siren. I love the fact you can remotely turn the alarm on or off. Helpful if you're like me and can be quite forgetful. Also it tells you if you someone is inside the house so you don't turn on the alarm by mistake.

Overall very, very pleased for the money I don't think anything else comes close.

5. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    A day later it's pretty addictive. As I haven't moved into my new place yet I am keep to see how well it keeps heat in. Every sensor has a thermometer built in so you can see how well each room retains heat during the day. (Sad I know). Very simple to set up full "away" mode and also "Night" mode so you can activate the downstairs and not the upstairs sensors.

6. c man

c man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi shahedz,

Great info - thanks! I've been looking at this solution today - but surprisingly cannot find a link to buy on the British Gas website. Has the product been discontinued?

How have you been getting on with it?

Thanks in advance.

7. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    Hi

It's not been discontinued as far as I an.aware. I googled "British gas safe and secure" as it was a nightmare finding it on their website. It's a great bit of kit, no false alarms etc. App has come in handy as I've gone to work forgetting to switch it on before, so great to be able to turn on

8. c man

c man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for the quick reply.

We also struggled to find it on their website, in fact we still can't! Google only brings up their help/support pages, rather than the product page itself. E.g.: a URL pointing here: http://www.britishgas.co.uk/myhomeprices now ccomes up with the following msg: "The requested URL /content/britishgas/products-and-services/safe-and-secure/starter-kit/our-prices.html was not found on this server."

As there seems to be no clear way to order we thought it had simply been discontinued.

A question regarding your setup: what is the alert mechanism? a SMS msg? If you opt out of the £8/month fee to enable the SMS msging, is there zero alert facility, given that the original kit is supplied with a 'false' external alarm?

If so, we would probably have to upgrade an get the internal/external sound alarm too.

9. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    Really odd, I searched for it and couldn't find it either.

You get both text and email alerts. I think if you stop the £8 a month you lose the text alert but get the email.

10. c man

c man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks for that.

I called up British Gas today to be informed this product now falls under their Dyno-Rod business (I guess they bought out Dyno-Rod - yep the drains/plumbing people!). So I called up Dyno-Rod, for prices at least, who weren't very helpful, stating that calls after 1800 are for emergencies only . They did confirm however that they've taken the product on.

11. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,950
    Had no idea that British gas owned dyno rod. Odd they have taken over the Alarm, I would have thought BG has a bigger audience

12. Jigga Jackson

Jigga Jackson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +378
    £199 sounds pretty reasonable for a starter kit.

13. c man

c man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I've not picked this up since November but the last I understood was DynoRod knew little about this solution; it doesn't even appear on their website..??

Anyone have any recent info?

14. dmd1357

dmd1357
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

don't know if this will help anyone but the Dyno Secure telephone details are 08002949844

I have not rung it myself and may only be for installations and monitoring of alarms which I know they do as well.

15. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +555
    Dynorod are separate from British gas now having been sold to G4S.

I believe the british gas alarm referred to has nothing to do with dynosecure

16. Mark160171

Mark160171
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so where do we as consumers stand with this as I cant even set up the hub but I will have another go at the weekend

17. EAW

EAW
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been offered an upgrade on my system that was installed 15 years ago what does every one think should I shell out or not

18. Newbieibwen

Newbieibwen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, someone sold me one on eBay for £15, only problem is British Gas have stopped supporting it to new customers, so I need an old email and password, if anyone can help I would be so grateful, I could then just change the email and password. There must be someone who can help me. Thanks guys