Britain's HGV Driver Shortage.

Erlang168

Well that's not really true is it?

Apparently haulage firms have more drivers than they have tankers.

Not really true?
Operation Escaline

The British military will start delivering petrol to gas stations on Monday to assist alleviate the continued disaster after fears over tanker driver shortages led to panic shopping for, the federal government mentioned on Friday.

“Nearly 200 navy tanker personnel, 100 of that are drivers, will likely be deployed from Monday to offer momentary assist as a part of the federal government’s wider motion to additional relieve stress on petrol stations and tackle the scarcity of HGV drivers,” the federal government mentioned in a information launch.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Tanker drivers are well paid and generally there's not a shortage of them. Over the summer, there was a few local shortages due to poor holiday and working time planning, and this then escalated into a full blown fuel shortage due to panic buying.

It's likely a similar thing will happen at Christmas, as all the stupid people will brim their cars and then not use them for a couple of weeks, but hopefully the industry will be better prepared!

trphil

Tanker drivers are well paid and generally there's not a shortage of them. Over the summer, there was a few local shortages due to poor holiday and working time planning, and this then escalated into a full blown fuel shortage due to panic buying.

It's likely a similar thing will happen at Christmas, as all the stupid people will brim their cars and then not use them for a couple of weeks, but hopefully the industry will be better prepared!
I don't understand why it seems to be generally seen as stupid to fill up one's fuel tank. It seems to me to be the most logical way of running a car, fill the tank, drive around until it's almost empty and fill it again.

TheShrike

I don't understand why it seems to be generally seen as stupid to fill up one's fuel tank. It seems to me to be the most logical way of running a car, fill the tank, drive around until it's almost empty and fill it again.
I've never brimmed mine as if you fill your tank you're carrying around excess fuel. Maybe that's a habit I got into when I had much less efficient cars though.

trphil

I've never brimmed mine as if you fill your tank you're carrying around excess fuel. Maybe that's a habit I got into when I had much less efficient cars though.
A full tank (even quite a large one) isn't going to make much difference to the weight of the car, less than an average passenger. I do see your point but I think any benefit would be outweighed by the extra hassle of more frequent refueling, for me anyway.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The problem has been those that normally drive around with a tenner's worth sloshing around in the bottom of the tank, but because of shortages, they've been topping right up. This massively increases the amount of fuel sold over a short period of time.

trphil

The problem has been those that normally drive around with a tenner's worth sloshing around in the bottom of the tank, but because of shortages, they've been topping right up. This massively increases the amount of fuel sold over a short period of time.
Yes, I am aware of this and there was a very simple solution - you're only allowed to refuel if you are on a quarter of a tank or less and you MUST fill up your tank. I queued for an hour and a half to fill up my daughter's car (after I'd given her a lift to work in my car), the person who had used the pump before me spent just over £5.

TheShrike

Yes, I am aware of this and there was a very simple solution - you're only allowed to refuel if you are on a quarter of a tank or less and you MUST fill up your tank. I queued for an hour and a half to fill up my daughter's car (after I'd given her a lift to work in my car), the person who had used the pump before me spent just over £5.
Who is going to police that policy? You'd need several "tank monitors" on the forecourt for all its opening hours - even at minimum wage that is going to be a massive hike in price. I can just about recall when garages had pump attendants to fill up the car for you, but they all went quite rapidly once companies realised people wanted cheap fuel more than someone to pump the fuel for them.

trphil

Who is going to police that policy? You'd need several "tank monitors" on the forecourt for all its opening hours - even at minimum wage that is going to be a massive hike in price. I can just about recall when garages had pump attendants to fill up the car for you, but they all went quite rapidly once companies realised people wanted cheap fuel more than someone to pump the fuel for them.
It doesn't need to be policed now, but every time I filled up during the "crisis" there were staff deployed at the fuel station entrance and directing people to individual pumps, it would not have added to the chaos if they'd had a glance at the fuel gauges (unless everyone was in a Trabant)...

TheShrike

It doesn't need to be policed now, but every time I filled up during the "crisis" there were staff deployed at the fuel station entrance and directing people to individual pumps, it would not have added to the chaos if they'd had a glance at the fuel gauges (unless everyone was in a Trabant)...
Of course it would've added to the chaos - people who had queued up for fuel would have kicked off if staff decided they weren't eligible to buy more. I doubt staff would've been happy to be put in such a position anyway.

Everything Goes

Distinguished Member
Failure is always a option....

Duncan Buchanan, director of policy at the Road Haulage Association, also strongly criticised the recently-announced 5,000 three-month visas for foreign drivers saying "if you were designing a visa system to fail, you would design it something like this".

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
Well the fuel shortages seem to be resolved.

We must have rejoined the EU.
Or the panic buying has stopped.

Mind you, at Sainsburys early last Saturday morning, they were out of unleaded (E5 and E10) on pumps 1 to 8 (out of a total of 14 pumps).

Erlang168

Yes, not true.

There is no shortage of tanker drivers.
There is in the British military right now, who's fuelling the Typhoon's etc?
By the way, the RAF does not keep spare personnel dehydrated and shrink-wrapped in a storage depot for emergency use.

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
I gather according to ITV news tonight that prisoners on day release - from crimes like transporting drugs in lorries will be recruited as drivers...

You really couldn't make this stuff up!

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I gather according to ITV news tonight that prisoners on day release - from crimes like transporting drugs in lorries will be recruited as drivers...

You really couldn't make this stuff up!
Desperate times call for desperate measures, or something like that.

Except it's not desperate according to the government and we should all remain calm....

BlueOrange25

Distinguished Member
A number of people have already seen the truck that went for a swim.

FCPAt9hXoAkRbI_.jpg

Here's a Twitter thread on how complex the job can be with vehicles of this type. Not sure how many people would take on a job like this with the time pressures and stress.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
TLDR:
If you disconnect the air line to a trailer, the brakes lock on. If will not go anywhere, so some drivers don't set the manual parking brake.

When the cab is hitched up, the driver will reverse up, wait for the clank of the 5th wheel, do a tug test, then jump out to connect up. If however, you don't pull the handbrake on, as soon as you connect the airline, the vehicle will roll away.

Probably the most common non traffic related incident, although possibly a close second behind dropping trailers due to not checking the 5th wheel has docked properly...

BlueOrange25

Distinguished Member
Probably the most common non traffic related incident, although possibly a close second behind dropping trailers due to not checking the 5th wheel has docked properly...
o_O This is crazy. How much will it affect the insurance if incidences of driver error occur?

Getting stressed just trying to imagine the effect on schedules if driver, truck and good need rescuing.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
o_O This is crazy. How much will it affect the insurance if incidences of driver error occur?

Getting stressed just trying to imagine the effect on schedules if driver, truck and good need rescuing.
It's sheer laziness not to pull on the handbrake on the trailer - although some sites with a lot of shunting moves leave them off all the time as it slows down their operation if shunters have to pull the trailer brakes every time they want to move it.

Leaving the handbrake off in the cab is an easy mistake to make, but most trucks now have an alarm that will sound if the handbrake is off, but the driver leaves their seat. This truck was probably too old to have this.

Having nearly had a 200KG mixing console fall off a ramp onto me when a truck rolled away due to the driver not applying the hand brake, I have first hand experience of what happens when things go wrong.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
Well this certainly isn't helping the situation.

Can anyone organise a single piss up in a brewery in this country?

Where's Grant Shapps when you need him?

maddy

Distinguished Member
Not directly relevant, but this is a great thread on what's happening in the ports in Los Angeles, where ships are anchored waiting to unload:

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett