Britain's HGV Driver Shortage.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
I just got some blood tests ordered by my GP and told it'll be at least 6 weeks though before I can hope to get an appointment because of the blood vials shortage. All non-urgent blood tests have had to be suspended because of the shortage of supplies.

I think private companies are getting drivers easier as they can offer to pay more and can then pass it onto the customer, whereas essential services are less flexible and can't compete with the better offers from luxury bathroom fittings suppliers.

I just met a lorry driver yesterday who said she can currently very much pick and choose which jobs to take, and hasn't earned nearly as much since before the financial crash.
Regardless as to the causes, things like severe shortages of blood vials should be treated very seriously by the government, and they should be doing everything possible to alleviate the situation.

The fact that they are doing nothing for the short term speaks volumes.

And the same goes for the collapse in supply chains generally. It's threatening to do untold damage to businesses and the economy, and there is nothing from this government to tackle the problem in the short term.

A disgraceful dereliction of duty.

Grandad1943

Get a life shoppers.... so instead of 10 brands of peas ..theres only 6 etc ... people just have to moan about something!

Adjust your diet...try new things... its not rocket science :confused:

I do not recall being told during Brexit campaign that should Britain leave the European Union I would have to change my entire life to meet Britain "taking back control".

Although in that, the UK now seems to have far less control over a great many things than it had prior to Brexit, but I am still expected to change my entire life strategy and pay a great deal more for it.

Very strange and confusing this "taking back control" when you are not actualy "taking back control" I am finding.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
Get a life shoppers.... so instead of 10 brands of peas ..theres only 6 etc ... people just have to moan about something!

And what if amongst those 4 missing brands of peas there's a cheaper basic or supermarket own brand, forcing people to buy a more expensive brand? What if that scenario is replicated across other food products? Do you think that the families who are just about managing to put food on the table (and to get their children to eat it, and knowing how finicky some children are) will be able to afford the extra costs? Are you happy to tell people to "get a life" if they are being pushed into food poverty?

richp007

Distinguished Member

Your drive-by posts are getting increasingly more comical. Do you actually have a clue about anything people are talking about?

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
And what if amongst those 4 missing brands of peas there's a cheaper basic or supermarket own brand, forcing people to buy a more expensive brand? What if that scenario is replicated across other food products? Do you think that the families who are just about managing to put food on the table (and to get their children to eat it, and knowing how finicky some children are) will be able to afford the extra costs? Are you happy to tell people to "get a life" if they are being pushed into food poverty?
They are peas! Let’s keep some context, cook them fresh or grow them. Get fresh seasonal food.

Maxatoria

While peas are great it's not going to solve any problem by itself and where I live its right by the site of an old smelter and the land is basically toxic for food production unless you want to use grow bags and then that requires the effort of shipping them in....

We may have too much choice and quite often I'd bet that 70% of the peas come from the same farms anyway and are just packaged up differently to sell to different markets.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
They are peas! Let’s keep some context, cook them fresh or grow them. Get fresh seasonal food.
From that reply, it's not me that needs to keep some context.

And peas were used as an example by another poster, however the concept of shortages & having to trade up to more expensive brands (even if available) applies across many foodstuffs. But then again, if you have a comfortable income or the time, space and wherewithal to tend a vegetable or fruit garden (and to plan sowings of multiple varieties to ensure a degree of crop continuity), then such problems will simply be brushed away.

Last edited:

TheShrike

Can't recall the last time I saw fresh peas for sale probably about 20 years ago. They always had a very short season and unless picked from your own garden were never fresh. Thats why frozen peas very much led the frozen food revolution of the 1970s.

Grandad1943

Can't recall the last time I saw fresh peas for sale probably about 20 years ago. They always had a very short season and unless picked from your own garden were never fresh. Thats why frozen peas very much led the frozen food revolution of the 1970s.

Peas are the least of the supply chain problems at present I feel.

As that problem is now affecting the medical supply chain I believe that we should all be looking at the situation and the possible means of solving it in a very rational and pragmatic manner

richp007

Distinguished Member

As that problem is now affecting the medical supply chain I believe that we should all be looking at the situation and the possible means of solving it in a very rational and pragmatic manner

You ask far too much of this government.

Ron Hilditch

You ask far too much of this government.
There has been unprecedented demand on some medical items. Especially as many of them have to be imported and Governments are making sure home demand comes first. Just as with CV19 vaccines, Canada has ordered 8 times more than it needs. While Africa has only given 1 shot of the vaccine to 3% of its population.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
There has been unprecedented demand on some medical items. Especially as many of them have to be imported and Governments are making sure home demand comes first. Just as with CV19 vaccines, Canada has ordered 8 times more than it needs. While Africa has only given 1 shot of the vaccine to 3% of its population.
All the more reason then for the government to take firm & decisive action to try to stabilise the supply.

But they have done very little.

MrsArcanum

Distinguished Member

I may get lynched as I have a blood vial given to me from the hospital to get a kidney function test in a few weeks time. The nurse had to collect it from locked storage.

richp007

Distinguished Member

I'm appalled at the situation with regards vaccines, and those countries that aren't getting supplies when richer nations are hoarding. No disagreement there.

But as mossy says, with winter approaching and the situation with regards medical items far from ideal, all the more reason to do whatever necessary. Even if only a short term measure.

FleetDS

I know this not just about peas, but they take about 16 weeks to grow! Just saying grow stuff or change your diet, is not the solution. And with shortages, prices rise! This is a lose lose situation at the moment, which ever way you look at it.

Ron Hilditch

All the more reason then for the government to take firm & decisive action to try to stabilise the supply.

But they have done very little.
Governments can only do so much. The Worldwide production of the glass vials can't meet the demand. So what do we do? Wait our turn or pay black market prices for them and deprive poorer Countries even more.

Erlang168

Governments can only do so much. The Worldwide production of the glass vials can't meet the demand. So what do we do? Wait our turn or pay black market prices for them and deprive poorer Countries even more.
Civilized nations could join together and take control of the production using economic strength together. Then arrange equitable distribution, or alternatively just squabble.

hamsters1

Wow that's rather an ignorant post, many people don't have a garden or balcony where they can just grow things, as someone has pointed out it's rather hard to get hold of fresh peas, on the rare occasions I have spotted any it works out better value for money to buy frozen.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
This government has done ..... Sweet FA. Nothing. Zilch.They haven'y even tried to do anything.

No, we just have to suck it up and act as if it's just a minor inconvenience.

Ron Hilditch

Civilized nations could join together and take control of the production using economic strength together. Then arrange equitable distribution, or alternatively just squabble.
Civilised Nations can't increase production overnight. Factories take years to set up before they get into production and when the pandemic is over, what do we do with all the unwanted factories?
Can't argue with the morality of your post!

RobinOfLoxley

During hospital in-patient visits over last 2 years, the doctors relied on blood tests
I seemed to be permanently on a drip for vitamins and sodium, and other salts, had 4 units of blood, for aneamia on last admission

The Blood Staff seemed to visit daily for another 2, 3 samples, not just me.
They had names for the whole Ward
(they wear red uniforms lol)

I am much better now, thank God

Treatment at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
They are Angels, but you are kicked out when no longer in Danger of Death :)

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Wow that's rather an ignorant post, many people don't have a garden or balcony where they can just grow things, as someone has pointed out it's rather hard to get hold of fresh peas, on the rare occasions I have spotted any it works out better value for money to buy frozen.

You get used to it :)

It was Casjen who brought peas up too, and I'm honestly not shocked in the slightest that he picked peas :laugh:

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Whilst being noble, this is not grounded in any kind of reality as per usual. As a nation changing our eating habits would take years to accomplish, and no government wants to actually tackle the health crisis we have either. That's too much hard work.

But how would you realistically propose we move away from the "concept of supermarkets"? How many people live near farm shops for example? How will they afford the prices? Could our farms produce enough to sustain a population that chooses to shun the supermarkets?

We rely massively on imported produce, we cannot produce enough of our own. Our reliance has been increasing over the years, not decreasing. Have you been speaking to John Redwood by any chance? ;)

And what are these other options you speak of?

With regards Lithuania, if only we had a way whereby we could with ease hop over there to go shopping at one of their markets for all these delights....
A person walks into a supermarket, the product they want is not available. Another type of shop they don't usually visit has the item they want a substitute.
What choice are they going to make, saying, the shop I usually visit has no stock is a narrow view?
No shops have what they want, what is the shopper going to do about it?
For me, it's finding an alternative.
There's always a choice.
I wish people would stop framing the argument that supermarkets exist to 'Feed the nation', that was the reason they become so popular. That's just a marketing slogan, people have bought into this idea that not only are supermarkets convenient, but they're also actually saving their lives.
The socio-economic benefits to society and ethics of nudge theory which supermarkets use to entice customers to buy products are hotly debated.
The consumer is bombarded by BOGOF deals when they enter the supermarket, such as 8 Bud and a pizza, is that ethical?
Here's an article on SSFC.
Previously we had an array of shops, butchers, fruit and veg man, bakers, etc, etc. I think there's room for them all.

My builder brother-in-law is having terrible trouble getting materials. He buys plaster whenever he sees it, timber is in short supply and he's had to travel 20+ miles to get plasterboard. He's in Kent, but only few miles outside the M25, so I guess the same sort of distance from London as you.

His daughter works in a builder's merchants, but she's not allowed to put stuff aside for him!

The guy who's coming to do a fencing job for me tomorrow has had trouble getting stuff, too.
Yes of course they're having problems, the mines and timber yards, etc around the world closed. Shut, zero production during covid.
Raw materials are in short supply.

RobinOfLoxley

My sister came to stay with me.
She went out and trawled every supermarket and local/Express shops in town and still came back with missing items or unsatisfactory substitutions

Multiple times in last 4 months
She came back exhausted and angry
2 hour trips which should have been 30 mins

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+