Britain tops digital tv chart

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by satinder, Mar 18, 2006.

1. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello all

Just repeating what i found out today, apparently 70% of tv watched in Britain is now via digital means. Also 7/10 of digital tv households use freeview, and as a final point there are more people with Sky subscriptions than households watching analogue tv. Now this doesn't suprise me, what i would like to know if the analogue switchoff will happen earlier because of it? I think that it could be usefull to do so if only to use the frequencies used by analogue for HDtv.

Sat

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It's unlikely the government or it's regulators will ignore the published time table for regional analogue shutdown, it would get too messy since there will be a few million who remain analogue for one reason or another and then it's get political:)

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Amen to that but with a fixed timetable every sector of the industry accepts in place they are not going to rock the boat.

Murdoch wasn't that extravegant, he just bought capacity on existing communication satellites the same ones the government and BSB thought were not suitable for analogue broadcasting:)

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I think we must be careful with percentages. I guess they are talking about percentage of the population and not percentage by area. More than half of the county of Norfolk cannot get a Freeview signal from either the Tacolneston or Belmont transmitters. There are numerous small transmitters, but there are no early plans to include a Freeview signal in their transmissions.The DAB radio service is pretty patchy as well with most of North Norfolk getting nothing at all, and no prospect of an improvement. I guess there are whole areas of the UK in a similar situation.

5. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    the statement about most households having sky does not surprise me,Just walk down any street and count the dishes:eek:

6. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think the percentage figure means that of the households that watch tv (pay for lisence) 70% of them watch digital tv :thumbsup:. I remember that when i went to uni in Middlesbrough most houses in the area couldn't get freeview, so it meant that a lot of people had NTL or Sky.

Sat

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I get your point and am fortunate in having the choice of all three sources of digital broadcasts. However, there was a report in our local press that pointed out that thousands of households are paying for services (extra channels and radio) that they cannot receive. Cable is not an option outside of major towns. People on lower incomes cannot simply afford Sky, even the 'one off' payment for a free to air satellite service.

Unless the coverage of Freeview radically improves or there is a, very cheap, satellite option then many households will lose tv altogether. I believe the BBC and independent broadcasters are looking at options for a Non-Sky satellite service. Has anyone any information on this ?

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

A subsidy for pensioners is on the cards, the case for helping out low income families is more of an issue but considering £30 gets a basic Freeview box it's not that big of a problem, aerial upgrades may not be that big of an issue either when analogue is shut down and power levels and therefore coverage increases.
    Of course the idea the BBC should be part of the solution and not the government who will receive the Billions in spectrum sales is a bit of a joke though.

The non SKY system still requires you to buy a dish and a STB not to mention the issues of no CH4 or Five (perhaps until 2008). Given the cost of a basic STB and dish install the difference in price is marginal and certainly not significant for the consumer.

9. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think everyone can agree with me when i say that cheap + satellite doesn't happen in the Uk at least. I remember when analogue cable was promenant in the mid 90's and there was a certain decoder box which would allow you to access all the channels. That was the last time ive seen cheap tv apart from freeview of course.

Sat

10. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I think you may be right......

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,306
    .......and then along come the *bright* schedulers at the BBC and once again do something unnecessary that means that we all have to resurrect our analogue tuners in order to watch our regional programming at Breakfast time.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317955

12. DishMonkey

DishMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I know lately we've been offering customers a digibox installed for £80 and advised them to get the sky freesat card for £20 which I wouldn't say was so expensive. Like to know what others think.

Dish Monkey

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

If it covers your costs then that's a good deal.
    The consumer will get the basic channels that are on analogue with the addition of many others (some good and some bad). It's not a direct comparison to Freeview but if you can't get that for whatever reason it's certainly a viable solution and price.

Even if that is only short term solution until analogue shutdown is finished it still makes sense and then come 2012 the consumer (well 98% of them) can then get full DTT coverage and who knows in the mean time there may be more FTA Dsat channels appearing.

14. satinder

satinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thats a good price for an alternative to freeview. But i am really on about the so called premium channels, not Playboy :D i mean the sport and movie channels. I know Sky are really making some money but what about the customers, they have an unacceptable monoplay which allows them to charge what they like:thumbsdow . We all need a rival company to create some competition, maybe NTL will step-up and take the challenge?

Sat

Sat