1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Britain sucks!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by roversd1, Sep 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does and you all know it...

Just got back from Rhodes, Greece - no worries about fuel, its 60p a litre.

No worries about Medical services, we needed to see a doctor quite urgently, 40 Euros for the Dr. she then immediately made an appointment for us to see a gynaecologist. One taxi ride later to Rhodes town, a CT scan and 240 Euros later, we were back in our room with all the correct medication.

Why mention this? Our local £100K a year GP mis-dagnosed the problem.

Beer - £1.20 - £2 a pint

Food - decent meal - about £12 including beer/ wine.

This country really, really takes the **** - you get a government you didnt vote for, you pay through the nose for everything, you pay for services you dont recieve, get taxed beyond a joke and we are expected to be lovverly about it all.

Now Greece has its troubles but they're nothing compared to what I came back to.

They speak better English for one thing, trying to explain that I want a feckin Cornish bleedin' pastie at Kings Cross station was a nightmare...

A taxi from the station to my village, £10... a coffe and pastie for two, £10 quid...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Well phrased and proving your own point. Is it that the Greeks speak English so well or that the English speak their own language so poorly.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I know how you feel reversd1.

I lived in the UK for 15 years and I had enough.
    Currently live in japan and even though it has its problems, I would rather stay here than go back!

But thats just me. I like traveling and cant stand to stay in one place for too long.

I love British people, but taxes and high costs for everything is just too much for anyone who isnt minted!

Last year I came back for a visit.
    Before I left, buying a coke from an old machine at my local arcade was more expensive than getting a coke from a shop.

When i came back for that visit, the coke machine was suddenly cheaper than going to the shops, even though the machine hadnt changed in price!

Shows how quickly prices rise in the UK.

Thats withing 5 years mind.

At least in japan taxes are only 5% to 10%.

is it still 17.5% in the UK or has it gone up?

Not only prices, but we always get everyithing last. And its worse due to things like PAL. A good example is the XBox and PS2 not supporting 1080i or 720p in the UK.

I just got so tired and frustrated that I had to leave! Got tired of being shafted all the time.

If more Brits traveld and lived in other countries they would see how bad they have it in the UK.

I would say that the best countries to live in could be other EU countries, US or perhaps even Japan. Australia and NZ could also be good.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,250

Ricky Ponting would definitely agree..... :D

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Why do you slaughter everyone, all of the time?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hey guys, look on the bright side - we did win The Ashes, and we do have Eastenders to watch on the telly ! ;)

Where's that flights catalogue ? :rotfl:

7. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just back from rhodes as well, all very nice - but I wouldn't want to live there

8. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Would the grass be greener on the other side?

I read a post somewhere - eludes me now, that we actually pay around 68% tax when you factor in:

V.A.T. / tax on food/clothes/fuel/inheritance etc etc etc.....

Taxes to be introduced soon: 'pay as you go motorways' on top of road tax?

I wonder what the government will tax next?

I guess the grass could be greener elsewhere, trouble is I love the c#ap weather, poor roads, expensive public transport, biased media coverage, unstocked shelves, long e.t.a's on ordered 'everything' oooh and the BBC licence fee thats real choice! Hell I'm packing now! :D

9. andrewjh009

andrewjh009

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I'm proud of my country and am happy with the current state of play generally. I think with the uk being an island and having a smaller population than japan/america etc it explains alot of the reasons why we pay more for electronics, companies are taking more of a risk with european markets etc. alot of these tourist places in europe were set up by us, english style bars, cafes etc, thats all you guys are generally seeing unless you venture out of the tourist areas.

There was a program (tonight with trevor mcdonald) mentioning people who were buying property abroad were getting shafted by the spanish government who have the power to take their land to build businesses on without compensation, alot of these places arn't run effectively.

The beer in these places is usually watered down crap and you'll find the imported bottled beers and spirits are just as expensive.

Personally i've seen nothing tv wise in europe as good as the sky system over here.

Our education system is the envy of the world, anyone can build a decent career coming from a lower class family as even minimum wages are somewhat acceptable assuming two working parents, in parts of europe your practically forced into manual labour/farming etc.

Can get a decent meal at the local pub for about £12 so no different really.

10. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,250
    there's much more to life than money... reading so far, Tax seems to be the only gripe people have with living here?

11. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't so long ago that we were panicking about petrol costing a pound a gallon :)

12. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Tax and the stupid weather.

13. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,250
    yeah... but the weather just keeps getting better every year.. ;)

have you seen all the 'new' bugs we have flying around this year?
    there's sumer insects flying around in September up here.. I'll be playing golf with my face painted up like Shane Warne by this time next year.. :D

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    I think we do not bad in the UK. Its a reasonably well balanced society in comparisson with a lot of countries ( US included). You can pretty much end up doing anything you want to if you put your mind to it.

The poor tend not to be horrifically poor ( or at least have no reason to be) , whilst money does not make you superior than the less well off.

We don't live in fear of our government . I say you can tell how much freedom a country gives it citizens by how much contempt they exhibit for their government.

The more contempt you see the more freedom: and most people in this country regard officialdom as stupid and pathetic and would die of embarrasment if you suggested they fly a flag off the front of their house. These are all good signs of a fundamentally healthy national mindset.

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I don't think we can moan too much about the weather either as we don't get the extremes of a lot of other countries :)

16. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,250
    dunno about that JohnG... It's extremely nice up here today! :clap:

17. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I don't like the censorship of TV, movies and books/newspapers

As long as you don't go to state schools and want to be a doctor/pharmacist/vet

I live about 2 miles from a little village called Boscastle

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    That's one event in the last few years, it's not like we live in hurricane-alley though is it ! It's also hardly an extreme weather event, more like a village being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A "weather event" ?

What you mean you have to buy tickets to see it ?

It's the weather - you've been watching too many American movies :)

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    I've got mates who are doctors and came from the same sort of background that I did ( working class at best).
    They had access to grants and bursaries and student loans. They also worked their way through college .

I've got a crazy job in the film industry that I reckon you would only be able to do as a serious career at anything approaching the top level in about 3 countries worldwide.

I cannot think of any career or profession that you categorically could not do somewhere in the UK.

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851

The full bit you should have quoted was "an extreme weather event" - do you work for the Sun misquoting people like that :D

22. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    By the way, I accidentally pressed Edit instead of Quote the first time I answered you so my initial reponse was in your post :blush: So I deleted my post from within yours - that why it says last edited by JohnG, sorry !

23. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    Good point

24. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Just read a very interesting article in the Mail (I think) about the place voted the best country in the world to live by the UN. Norway. Based on stats like birth rates, infant mortality, access to health care and education etc,etc Norway comes out well. The UK manages 15th. What the survey does not take into consideration is cost. 65% top rate of tax, £8 a pint, 25%VAT, £30 pizza, cars costing 2-3 times that of the UK. We complain a lot here, but when you balance benefits against cost we actually fare quite well because to get the utopian country the UN would like to say is the best costs a lot and when Norways main source of wealth disperses (North Sea oil) you will see them slide down the table pretty sharpish.

25. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    You weren't there, I was, never seen rain like it (except in Florida in the hurricane season)

I agree, no censorship in Norway, and I don't really care how much tax people pay.

26. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    OOps sorry

27. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Just read a very interesting article in the Mail (I think) about the place voted the best country in the world to live by the UN. Norway. Based on stats like birth rates, infant mortality, access to health care and education etc,etc Norway comes out well. The UK manages 15th. What the survey does not take into consideration is cost. 65% top rate of tax, £8 a pint, 25%VAT, £30 pizza, cars costing 2-3 times that of the UK. We complain a lot here, but when you balance benefits against cost we actually fare quite well because to get the utopian country the UN would like to say is the best costs a lot and when Norways main source of wealth disperses (North Sea oil) you will see them slide down the table pretty sharpish.

28. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I would suggest trying to live there before favouring it over our country. They have:-

Strict licencing laws that result in the male population becoming VERY violent on the rare occasions they can get beer.
    The society is very closed by comparison with our own (with the obvious problems for outsiders).
    It is also highly religious and would not tolerate people enjoying the sort of religious freedom we have here.
    It also has real problems with 'cults' (several murders have been attributed to them in the last ten years) due to it's strict religious lifestyle.
    Certain parts have to spend very long periods without any sun at all hence a fairly healthy (in the negative sense) suicide rate.

These are based on the comments of Norwegian friends, and my sister-in law who lived there for a year with them.

It IS a nice place, but like everywhere you go, it has downsides that would soon bring me back to dear old blighty! In particular the religion bit.............. :rolleyes:

29. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Sorry mate, I got that far and realised what you did there was an oxymoron! :eek: :rotfl:

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    No it doesn't. As someone who has lived in numerous other countries including the USA (Georgia and Florida), France, Canada, Germany, Corfu, Crete, Greece (Volas), Italy and Japan - not to mention dozens of other visits lasting weeks/months during my military service - I can safely say I would never consider living anywhere else but the UK. Maybe that's just me - but you appreciate the place alot more when you have spent years living away from it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.