Britain is Great

Synchronicity

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok,admittely Ive had a few ales but I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread to counter some of the negative views expressed in that lovely"britain sucks"thread :hiya:

Theres a lot of people here that I dont doubt have the means and funds to leave this land of ours if they chose but in spite of all the chavs,high taxes,petrol prices,crappy goverment,expensive AV gear,shoddy law enforcement,over zealous Labour party bouncers,etc we still stay here.

So,why do you stay in this apparently abysmal hell hole of chavdom?I am going to ponder for a while,in a quiet drunken stupour. but please feel free to share why you think Britain is Great :thumbsup:

I'm here cause I love the place. :thumbsup:

In my opinion i love this place, i have been to quite a lot of countries admittedly i haven't been to all on this earth but out of the ones i have been to i love this place. People may slate the NHS but i think its great, fair enough there may be long waiting lists, but when its for free with no discrimination to its patients what do you think is going to happen. Also i think we have a great police force and overall i feel safe and thats the main thing in my eyes, i also happen to think the education system is brilliant and more importantly is affordable to a lot more people than not. it may have its negative points but in my eyes the positives far out weigh the negatives. i live amongst wonderful neighbours and frankly couldn't ask for more. although i was born here my parents wasn't and come from a really poor country and what this country has helped them to achieve is outstanding!! there will be people here who don't agree with what i think, and you can quote all you like and criticize all you like from this post , but frankly i don't care, i love this place and no ones elses views are gonna change that!

The society at its core is fundamentally good. The people are not easily manipulated and society not government is the ultimate power.

Can you ever imagine British troops putting down a popular uprising against the government?

Can you ever imagine a politician being regarded with anything but disinterest and mild contempt by the majority of people?

Its a rich , varied , evolving society and it has been for many decades.

You can do anything you want in Britain. You can have a career doing any job its possible to do within this one country.

It has artists, scientists, writers, statesmen, musicians, designers , doctors, inventors, architects, sportsmen, engineers and too many others in fields too numerous to mention that are renowned throughout the world.

Yet ...we do not take ourselves too seriously and we are our harshest critics and cynics.

I also believe we are the most succesfully integrated multi-cultural country on the planet in spite of (or maybe because of) the often grim portrait painted by the media.

We are self-considered whilst other countries are arrogant.

We are self doubting whilst other countries are blindly jingoistic.

These are all good things.

Mr.D said:
The society at its core is fundamentally good. The people are not easily manipulated and society not government is the ultimate power.

Can you ever imagine British troops putting down a popular uprising against the government?

Can you ever imagine a politician being regarded with anything but disinterest and mild contempt by the majority of people?

You can do anything you want in Britain. You can have a career doing any job its possible to do within this one country.

It has artists, scientists, writers, statesmen, musicians, designers , doctors, inventors, architects, sportsmen, engineers and too many others in fields too numerous to mention that are renowned throughout the world.

Yet ...we do not take ourselves too seriously and we are our harshest critics and cynics.

I also believe we are the most succesfully integrated multi-cultural country on the planet in spite of (or maybe because of) the often grim portrait painted by the media.

Thats the spirit old boy,this is the sort of thing Im looking for :smashin:

Bravo Mr D. Think he's said it all........... Um, Britain has best football team in Europe? :D

Um, Britain has best football team in Europe?

See, I was enjoying this thread til then ;) Seriously though, I watched the champions of england the the european cup winners play eachother the other night... crap, negative, play-for-a-point football at its worst, not exactly a good advert for this country's football is it? :(

Footballing fun aside there's not another country I've ever been to that I could consider living in. Spent the first 4 months of this year living in america and have got to say that despite all the cheap electrical stuff you can get, great snowboarding and amazingly varied geography you'd have to be mad to want to live there - the small minded bigots who make up most of the country away from the coasts are insufferable. oh and they also have an strangely lax attitude to drink driving - if you don't have at least 3 DUIs to your name by the age of 23 there's something "wrong" with you, the third one often carries a custodial sentence, but this means booking into the local police station/"jail" for 3 nights (only at night mind) on a weekend that YOU chose! oh yeah, and they sell guns in ASDA...

What do I love about Britain?

The working class heros that helped build this nation to what it is. I'm not saying other classes didn't help. But who was at the core of our society through two world wars? If they weren't on the battle front they working for virtually nothing in the factories. Were it not for our working class, this would have been typed in German!!

mrtbag said:
What do I love about Britain?

The working class heros that helped build this nation to what it is. I'm not saying other classes didn't help. But who was at the core of our society through two world wars? If they weren't on the battle front they working for virtually nothing in the factories. Were it not for our working class, this would have been typed in German!!

Here here! Well said!

For me its has to be sense of humour- the best, ale , curry, diverse food , the peoples incredible patience and tolerance, just thoroughly good eggs really!Countryside,olde towns and villages and despite our reservations about the Governement I'd ratherb this lot than any other in developed world( Chirac Berlosconii Bush Scrhoder????? :eek: :eek: )

I think that the thread starter was referring to contemporary Britain and not the Britain that existed 65 years ago which is almost unrecognisable now.

I'm another well traveled member who has lived in other countries.
Britain is my country of choice as well as my country of origin.

Masterful mr D, bloody masterful! :clap: :thumbsup:

I watched the champions of england the the european cup winners play eachother the other night... crap, negative, play-for-a-point football at its worst, not exactly a good advert for this country's football is it?
Careful owain, you'll have the 'Liverpool FC thought police' on your case pronto making comments like that......... ;)

I know our roads aren't perfect, M25!, but at lest drivers in the UK in general don't just overtake and cut straight back in.

I don't want to start another argument but do you all live in a parallel universe or something? All of you have described a virtual paradise! I'm simply lost for words.....

result. ;)

I don't want to start another argument but do you all live in a parallel universe or something? All of you have described a virtual paradise! I'm simply lost for words.....
No. But we don't all spend our time looking for reasons to run the country down.

If you really think this country is SO bad I suggest you start looking elsewhere. Then you might find it isn't after all.................. ;)

I think personally the 'dicatorship' comments are hilarious. While I do find Blair and Clarkes obsession with going OTT on anti terror laws seriously annoying, and do resent the erosion of our liberties, the fact that so many people here can put down such strong views makes a mockery of the whole 'we are under the thumb' claim. Trying posting views the likes of which we see here in a countless number of countries around the World (with plenty in Europe) and see how far, and more to the point, how long you get.

At the same time the constant moaning about taxes must seem comical to the Irish. You want heavy taxation? Go to Eire. Tax is a killer there.

As for yobs, I went to Berlin a fews years back, and the nightlife there, while fun, can turn ugly pdq. Having a ponytail and beard was a red flag to some seriously ugly customers there. :D

Wherever you go there are problems.

In fairness to knightshade though, you will hear similiar comments made in those countries as well. The Spanish love a moan about how their yobs have 'dragged the country' down. :) What's worrying though is, a reasonable minority of Spanish, and in Germany as well, see the answer as being to go back to the 'good old days' of fascism.

It shows in this country how much more mature we are politicaly or less open to extremes, that such solutions are only suggested by a mindless minority. Another reason to be proud of our people.......... ;)

I've lived in 4 different countries, non of them perfect, the best things about Britain are our mates, sense of humour and language.

I wont be coming back though because my kids are being raised with better education and healthcare and in a more respectful and laid back society, + many of the so called great things Britain has that have already been mentioned are available elsewhere.
If I didnt have a family to worry about it would be different.

Mr.D said:

Steady on old chap. Rather blowing our own trumpet a bit, aren't we? Let's just quieten down and have a nice cup of tea.

Pip pip,
Liam

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom