Bristol S&V show 2008 questions

mossym

Distinguished Member
hey, looking for feedback from previous attendees...loking at booking flight from ireland to go over to this for the day. can be there at 10 but flight options back are 4pm or 10 that night. just wondering how long on average people spend there? is there enough to take all day up to 5? or will 4/5 hours do it? don't fancy sitting around for hours waiting for a plane, especially as i have to drive after the plane ride so can't even go for a beer!!

also, how far from the airport is the hotel time wise in a taxi?

Alan_Be

Novice Member
There is a vast amount of stuff to see, easy to fill a day, you could probably do a second day and not see everything!

The airport is a bit of a distance away, I'd check the taxi prices first

mossym

Distinguished Member
cheers for that, guess i'll take the late flight then!!

sneill

Hi Mossy M,

I’ve been to the Bristol show 3 times in recent years & like it a lot.
Some of the rooms can get cramped but that’s always the way at these shows.

Main thing is the Bristol show is well attended by manufactures & they often have product releases here. (The What Hifi show sounded a bit disappointing from the AV Froum podcast review.)

I see you’re a PJ man; you’d have SIM2 / Projection design / JVC & possibly Marantz/ Meridian Projectors to check out if your feet get tired :D

I flew in/out same day last couple of times & chose the later flight each time.
The Airport’s a good distance out but there's actually a regular shuttle bus that takes you to Bristol Meads train station that departs every 15 mins 8.00/GBP return:
http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/getting_to_bia/by_airport_express_link.aspx
& it's a 10 min straight walk to the show from there.
BTW: Nothing of interest in the airport so grab some brochures on your way out :devil:

stuart1976

I've never been before but will be this year, am looking forward to it.

Do they have trade stalls there? If so, hope I can pick up an Onkyo 705 a bit cheaper.

mossym

Distinguished Member
flights booked...ended up booking for the saturday, looking forward to it now..was at ces as well working so will see how it stacks up!!

antsims

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know the kind of discount (if any) you get on the day.

I am after a Onkyo 705. I have one or order at £510 with Hifix, but they have been out of stock for 3 weeks now! They will honour the price but if I can get it any cheaper on the day, then I will cancel my order with them.

Thanks

Ian J

Banned
The discounts are variable but it's highly unlikely that you will be offered a discount on something that's in short supply anyway.

I'm planning on going on the friday. Never been before.

Do you think I would be able to pick up a BD player?

Do the big boys attend Sony, Samsung, Panny etc?

hornydragon

Does anyone know the kind of discount (if any) you get on the day.

I am after a Onkyo 705. I have one or order at £510 with Hifix, but they have been out of stock for 3 weeks now! They will honour the price but if I can get it any cheaper on the day, then I will cancel my order with them.

Thanks
THe official show sales are Run by the organisers (Audio-T, AudioX) and discounts can be good to nothing special, if you go on the last you find alot of exhibitors will sell the demo stock at chepaer prices to save them lugging back to the office so if you want a bargian chat up the reps on the stand and have Cash t pay and you can walk out with 3 day old kit for a song.

marty2005

Novice Member
Don't see Panasonic, LG and Samsung on the list.

Is is because the UK is too small for them to bother?

Ian J

Banned
Don't see Panasonic, LG and Samsung on the list.

Is is because the UK is too small for them to bother?
There are plenty of major names who don't exhibit in their own right for a variety of reasons but i would imagine you will find screens by one or more of those listed being used by other exhibitors

per-Sony-fied

Novice Member
..... if you go on the last you find alot of exhibitors will sell the demo stock at chepaer prices to save them lugging back to the office so if you want a bargian chat up the reps on the stand and have Cash t pay and you can walk out with 3 day old kit for a song.
Shoosh ;) Done that before first thing in the morning (when I got there), & in the eve but boy it can be hard to haggle.

Basically don't worry about the offers, if your interested in a particular product just haggle. Particularly if it's an item on a stand to be bought there and then.

thompma

Novice Member
if you go on the last you find alot of exhibitors will sell the demo stock at chepaer prices
I bought a new centre channel when Stands Unique had a 5.1 system in a room and not on the coffee area for a good discount, already run in as well. :thumbsup:
So its worth having a chat with the staff.

aliencinema

i hear denon are showing there monster pre/power amps does anyone know if they are gonna demonstrate them or are they gonna be sat in a glass stand like the last couple of years (waste of time)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett