Bristol Rugby vs. Bath Rugby.......27/12/2006.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Bristol Pete, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    In many ways, I hated every second of tonights shoot. It was a funny one in that it was live on sky at Ashton Gate, home of Bristol City. Total sell out and THE biggest Guinness Prem crowd ever. Was weird as I felt emotional tonight as they had a guy singing before kick off and was great experience again.

Tog wise there were maybe 20 there with Getty etal there, so 'the big boys' were out to play. 400, 500 and 600mm all evident and some serious hardware that makes my 300mm 2.8 look small, but hey, it gets the job done well. Funny that the sports beat dude loved my 85mm 1.8. Overall though it was one of those nights were I was thinking is all the effort worth it....the market it saturated....

The light at Bristol Citys ground was awful - really, awful. Not so much in that the average shutter was 320 ~ 400, the worst thing is that it was so variable and my exposure was jumping up and down like a virgin on prom night. One thing I will mention now for others to note is that I usually take two 'on the fly readings' one in the light, one in the shade so to speak so that you can quickly adjust as and where the ball moves. Tonight it seemed to have light and dark spots everywhere which = nightmare. Still, job done I think and looking forward to my trip to Manchester so I can actually shoot in the sunlight...yippee.

Anyway, another fine win for Bristol over Bath. Some rain, not too bad a night all told and not cold at all.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Pete, again you demonstrate an ability to take pictures in the dark!

In fact, in #1 the noise artefacts almost look like a bokeh effect IMO.

Are the big boys at any real advantage though? f/2.8 is f/2.8 - there's no faster lens longer than 300mm as far as I know. You should feel comfortable in the fact that you are already a well rounded photographer who's managing to ride with the best of them and you've only been in the sports game a short while. Show them some of your portraits or landscapes - more so the portraits - and watch their jaws drop as fast as ours have on here.

Or maybe you've outgrown it already and are destined for even greater things... Royal portrait commisions? who knows!

Keep it up mate. :thumbsup:

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Funny one really. Have travelled all over and met some serious kit snobs. The fact is I upgraded to Mark II n's for the water sealing, nothing else. Personally I think my 30 would have got these as I have never shot 8.5 frames in burst, maybe four or five. The difference is when it hammers down, the mark II n just keeps on trucking.

I think 400mm is ideal for modern stadia, but then you would need a 300 too. It really is crazy. One pro I have rolled with carries a 400mm, 300mm and a 1.4 with three bodies. I can understand why however. 400 will net you shots but also cost you shots too and you need not 'wait' for the game to come to you. Places like the new Arsenal stadium need a 400mm I think....

With regards to exposure and bokeh, I agree. You can see the difference in 1# and 2#in that 2# is bang on, 1# just off, but in print, whether cleaned up in readiness for gloss or on a newpaper run, it would look dandy.

Appreciate the compliements. I am just a humble guy who likes taking pictures....

Pete :thumbsup:

4. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Well you're a talented guy who obviously appreciates what he's got and truly earned and deserves it.

I think you could get Canon really worried saying things like that about the 30D compared to the 1 series!

How does the 1D mk II N compare to the 5D for other subjects, like landscapes? Do you still have one? (no gear in your sig any more - my bad! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)

5. sivraj494

sivraj494

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I always look forward to your photos of sport. I find sport is quite a hard subject to capture so really acknowledge the work that you do.

I was even more so looking forward to these photos, being a Bath fan myself. That aside, I think you always do a really good job.

Well done Pete.

Jarvis

6. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    The Mark IIs are essential for the WFTs, hence why we (Getty) use them as much as we can (it obviously takes a while/costs a lot to upgrade all of our cameras so there are still some Mark Is out there).

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Valid point. Totally forgot about that..... DOH :rolleyes:

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309

Boo hiss boo :rotfl: :thumbsup:

A fan of neither but my alligiance is rapidly turning Bristol-wards :lesson: :thumbsup: