Bristol HiFi Show & Pioneer DV-939A

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by WSquared, Feb 24, 2001.

1. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got back from the Bristol HiFi show. I was amazed at how many DVD-Audio players were on show. Players which you can actually buy. There was also a wide variety of released software they were using to demo the players. I listened to about ten different released disks. There are lots of titles available on the web now, just not on the high-street. Two of my favorite players that I listened to in depth were the Pioneer DV-939A and the Meridian 596(i think). Anybody who thinks DVD-A isn't going to important to have is mad! I certainly wont buy another DVD player unless it's DVD-Audio capable.

2. bawheid

bawheid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sounds like good stuff, I wish I could have been there.
    Were there any combined SACD/DVD players and how did they compare?
    I really hope a universal player will come along soon (SACD/DVD-A/DVD). Does anyone on the forum know of any such players?
    [​IMG]

3. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    pioneer dv-ax10 should be released soon.
    sacd,dvd-v & dvd-a for about £3500 - £4000.

4. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    what did denon have to show for themselves with regard to high end dvd. anything about a replacement for the 5000. not really tempted by the 3300.

5. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was a bit dissapointed with Denon at the show. They were much more interested in demonstrating movies via the A1SE amp, which incidentaly was the biggest Home Cinema Amp I've ever seen.
    Nothing big in the way of High quality audio demos. Although the 3300 was there if you looked for it.

6. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, there was a multichannel demo of SACD in the What HiFi room. It was the first in the UK that I know of. It was very good. I know SACD is theoretically better than DVD-A, but to be honest, my ears must not be golden because I could not actually tell that it was any better than DVD-A. And I heard the SACD demo straight after the Meridian DVD-A demo. I think when you get to that level of quality, the mastering of the disc makes more of a difference than anything else. Also, from what I've heard, when buying a SACD some royalies may have to be paid to Sony or something because of the licencing of SACD. Not sure though.
    Anyway, I would love to have a player that could play DVD-V,DVD-A,&SACD, but I wouldn't pay £3k+ for one. Wouldn't pay more than £700 unless I won the lottery.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that Toshiba will be releasing two DVD/DVD-A players priced at about $400 and $500 USD (sorry dont know what that is in pounds)

I am waiting on these models to come out before making my next DVD purchase.

Oh BTW they are both progressive scan too. [​IMG]
    If you want more info, drop me an email.

Micmar

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    Nice to know there is another person avidly awaiting affordable DVD-Audio players.

I'm assumng the players you're talking about are the SD500E and the SD900E.?? I think HCC reviewed the SD500E a few months ago with good results. From the info on the web site, it appears that only the 900E has progressive scan. Not terribly important in the UK, but it would be a nice feature to have. Links are: http://www.hello.toshiba.co.uk/products/html/sd500e.html http://www.hello.toshiba.co.uk/products/html/sd900e.html
    I'd like to see how much they actually sell for in Sterling.
    Cheers,
    WSquared