1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bristol/Bath places of interest?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Steve N, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
    The wife has persuaded me to take her on a short break to Bath.
    I've never been before and wondered if anyone can recommend any good AV shops down that way.
    Any other places of interest as well I suppose.

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,231
    how about a weekend off AV equipment and with your wife instead? :thumbsup:

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've spent the past 4 years studying in Bath and it really is a lovely city - you'll have a great time. There's not an awful lot by way of AV shops around there - Radfords next to the Kingsmead complex and Peter Green at the other side of the city on the London Road.

As far as Bath goes, I'd definitely recommend a trip around the Baths, the Ghost Walk and perhaps hiring a boat and rowing upriver as it only takes a few hours and is a nice trip with a nice pub at Batheaston.

There are loads of good places to eat and drink, let me know if you want any recommendations . :)

4. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,833
    Yes please. We've booked a hotel for four days but plan to eat out. Good grub is one our great pleasures when on holiday.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    A walk round Westonburt Arboretum just North East of Bath is nice on a sunny afternoon

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Right, food then. Some of these are quite expensive but you do tend to get what you pay for:

The Eastern Eye for Indian (on a side road at the bottom of Milsom Street).
    Hole in the Wall I havn't actually been there but have heard that it's excellent (at the top of Milsom street).

For pub food then The Rummer is one of the best or you can get enormous sandwiches at The Salamander which is the main stockist of Bath Ales - try a pint of Gem if you get the chance. If you're a cider drinker you need to try a pint of Broadoak at the Old Green Tree which is very small but there's nowhere else like it. The Crystal Palace is behind the baths and does a good lunch offer of a modest plate, a dessert and coffee.

That's a few to get you going at any rate. There's not an awful lot to do in Bath other than stroll around and enjoy the atmosphere - great for a "romantic" weekend as everything is within walking distance. If you don't fancy hiring a boat up the river then there is a powered boat trip which is run from town beneath Pulteney Bridge. A bus tour is also worth it as the guides know everything even if it does feel a bit touristy. :)