Bristol Aztecs Youth shots - something different !

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
So today we went to take some unique stylised images of the youth team at the Bristol Aztecs. I set up a D3, a 24.70 lens, three flash guns and a brolly but it was too windy so the brolly came back down. Tried some different stuff and got some nice photos. Thanks to my friend Ad's for the help in carting all the kit about. For reference, I exposed the sky but under by about three stops to get the drama and that kept that figure in the mind, then when I shot this, as I sourced the exposure from light the camera under exposed the subjects but the flash guns dealt with them nicely. Though all dialed in to suit.

Also, I have decided not to call this 'strobe' work, I prefer flash. Strobe reminds me of the time I went to a rave when I was 15, did a load of 'e' in a field and nearly bit my tongue off due to those bloody lights. (joke about the 'e' by the way, I think it was crack). ;)

Love to all.

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Different and terrific set of photographs, the 2nd from last is a bit special:clap:

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Great shots Pete - I really like the toning.

I think 1 and 3 work the best, with 3 being the stand out shot for me. The rest are good, but these two have the best overall balance and composition.

The group shot seems to have left one guy in the dark a little.

Great stuff though.

bluesilver

amazing shots. I take it that you're a pro photographer? :clap:

Is there much much post processing work done on these?
And I know you gave a description at the beginning, but can you break it down a bit more for us beginners please because I still don't think I could replicate your shots...

Tobers

Good work. I'd take #2 as my fave. I still find flash quite confusing so I know you've done a good job with this lot.

denno75uk

Well out of a great set I'm picking #4. That lad has some real presence and this capture just seems a bit bolder.
:thumbsup:

onefivenine

Novice Member
Very nicely done. Great lighting and excellent subjects too. Very dramatic effect, they really suit the mean and moody shadows.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Well out of a great set I'm picking #4. That lad has some real presence and this capture just seems a bit bolder.
:thumbsup:
I'll second that :thumbsup:

Another amazing set Pete - great work :clap:

Farno

Novice Member
Always love seeing your work.
#3 & #4 are the stand out shots for me.
Its a difficult choice but #4 stands out for me. The dude in #3 wouldnt look out of place in Puff diddles crew

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
amazing shots. I take it that you're a pro photographer? :clap:

Is there much much post processing work done on these?
And I know you gave a description at the beginning, but can you break it down a bit more for us beginners please because I still don't think I could replicate your shots...
Thanks for the compliments all....

Nope, not a pro.

Firstly, I wanted to create a dramatic sky so I looked at the sky and read what the exposure would have been if it were spot on. I then under exposed by three stops as i knew that this would bring out the rolls on the clouds when I set the exposure up to shoot my subject. Naturally, with this they were dark as under exposed. However, I had three flash guns firing at them. One from my left, one from my right and one from my camera. The left flash and the on board flash guns were set at about full power, and the gun to my right was about 1/4 power, hence the right side as we see it being darker than the left.

Ideally, I wanted a brolly above them but looking down as this would have diffused the spread of light nicely, but it was literally too windy.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
Yet another great set Pete. You seem to be coping very well with using 3 flash heads! I strugggle with one! Love the muted tones.
Yes, I am literally hammering them to understand them. Seems to work for me mate and hopefully understanding flash will help me take my photos to another level.

Cheers.

ksten

Novice Member
... hopefully understanding flash will help me take my photos to another level.
I think it already has!

Really excellent results.

I'm not sure if using an umbrella would have been a good thing anyway. Maybe to lift the shadows slightly but I think the hard light you used suits the subjects perfectly.

Cheers.

scharf_10

Novice Member
I really liek all of these shots. Interesting that you post these because I'm taking pictures of a band soon and i'm planning on buying a couple of flashes for myself soon.

A couple of questions. What do you use to trigger all of the flashes?

And I'm assuming you just set them on a light stand?

Thanks, Scharf.

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
Cheers. these are for an ad campaign with drops of text. This one (2) is thirsty work based on the summer season. Less is more etc.

that film what women want is a nice watch into how the ad people work and what we/I were given as a remit.

Here is an example - text says nothing more than

Wide Receiver - Catch me if you can.........along with the club website and my name. Going into local publications various places as a recruitment drive.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2506249888_dcd2928184_o.jpg

Bristol Pete

Novice Member
I really liek all of these shots. Interesting that you post these because I'm taking pictures of a band soon and i'm planning on buying a couple of flashes for myself soon.

A couple of questions. What do you use to trigger all of the flashes?

And I'm assuming you just set them on a light stand?

Thanks, Scharf.
Hi,

one sb800 and two sb600s. The 800 triggers the 600's. The 600's were on tripods, the 800 on the camera or off shoe cord. All set manually. :smashin:

Holowlegs

Hello there

Great set Pete:thumbsup:

Home PC on the blink so looking at these on the work lap top, really do like the tones in these. Last one is very good and like the way you have cropped it.

The use off water has worked very well for me especially in #2 and #4.

Cheers Holo:smashin::smashin:

springtide

Distinguished Member
Pete,

Been looking at these on Flickr etc.

These have all worked really well.

I particularly like #1, #3 & #5 and I like the last crop of #1.

Like the "glassy" look of the "hard light". Were some of the flashes diffused or all used without diffusers?