Bringing Mission 752s into the 21st Century!

lauraann

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I’m looking for some advice on where it would be best to spend my money on the next step to upgrading my setup.

I have a pair of Mission 752s and I really love them (no current plans to replace). I have them bi-wired to a vintage Technics SU-X101 and I regularly listen to CDs and vinyl on the matching SL-PJ27A and SL-J110R.

I have my tv (Panasonic Plasma TX-P50GT50B) connected to the Technics Amp Aux input using the tv’s optical out and an inexpensive DAC. It works fine, but I have to control the tv volume on the amp and obviously the vocal clarity when watching tv is not great.

My budget is around £500 and I’ve been considering a stereo receiver, either Denon DRA-800H or Marantz NR1200 which are both currently on sale for £399. I have also read multiple opinions that a full home theatre AVR would be a better option even if I only use 2 of the channels in terms of future proofing.

Would appreciate any advice on the best next step for 50/50 music and tv with a stereo setup.

Thanks! Laura

If you only really listen to stereo sources and have no desire to go for a full 5.1 surround system then stick with the stereo amps. They will give you a far better sound quality than an avr would. Future proofing against something that you would never use is not worth it.

You can still connect the stereo amps to the tv if you are wanting to use the Missions as you do now but with the NR1200 you can connect to the tv via the arc hdmi socket so that the tv's remote would control the amp's volume.

With this upgrade (getting a new stereo amp) you would be able to use your current equipment in the same way that you do now but with the benefit of hdmi arc control of the mission's volume through tv remote and the sound quality would be far superior to any avr that costs the same amount as the stereo amps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom