Bringing it all Back Home - Dolby Demonstrates Atmos for the Living Room - article discussion

One thing I am curious about, which sounded better, the overhead speakers or the modules?

I assume the overhead but re-reading the write up and I only read about almost sounded like the speakers were overhead, but doesn't mention which sounds best whether sounding overhead or not.

One thing I am curious about, which sounded better, the overhead speakers or the modules?

I assume the overhead but re-reading the write up and I only read about almost sounded like the speakers were overhead, but doesn't mention which sounds best whether sounding overhead or not.
I think the overheads sounded slightly better but it was hard sometimes to actually tell the difference, so if you do go the Atmos speaker route you won't be disappointed.

I'm still sceptical, but I hope I remain open-minded.

One problem I foresee is adding speakers to older set ups - and not all that old.

People (well...erm...me :( ) like to keep their speakers matched - hence I have all Monitor Audios from the same series. The series is now close to defunct. If I decide to upgrade to Atmos in a couple of years, I may well not find matching speakers.

In addition, my front 3 speakers are in-wall (fairly rare, I'll admit), whilst my 4 rears are di/bi-pole wall mounts, already quite a long way up the wall. Adding upward firing add-ons to these would be at least difficult, and more likely impossible. In short, I'd have absolutely no option but to add in-ceiling speakers, and there'll be many in my position.

Actually, that wouldn't be quite so bad for me, as my room is on the top floor with a loft above - I already have all of my speaker cable going through there - but for anyone with their cinema room not on the top floor, it's going to be tough.

BTW, just checked, and I think 4 MA in-ceilings would set me back c.£540, which I don't suppose is a fortune.

But finally, there's still a part of me thinking...so what? At what point do I say "TOO MUCH!".

Is it impossible to imagine a future system requiring 5 fronts (some have this already) a couple on each side and a couple on the back wall, 4 above, how about 'below' speakers? You know, sound from volcanoes, earthquakes, the road beneath a car, the x-wing beneath your spaceship?

Even if all of these are very valid, and do indeed do what they're supposed to, and do it well, at what point do we say we've come far enough?

Ask me in 5 years. :D

Steve W

I do mention in the article that Dolby were using a 7.1 setup with 4 overheads, so 7.1.4

Thanks for the info. I must be blind....I still can't see where you've mentioned in the article!

I love the thought of below speakers Steve.

Imagine watching a horror film with scratching and screaming coming from below the floor...

Dolby Atmos IIIY TrueUltra HD...

...to go back to an earlier question from dckoppen Pioneer will issue a Dolby Atmos firmware update later this year for the following models SC-LX88, SC-LX78 and SC-LX58 only.

Anyone seen any forums with pictures of the rear of the room, I am curious to see how the 4 rears plus 2 rear modules are setup

I think Dolby Atmos is a great technology! Everyone has the choice to take up this new surround sound format or not.
For me I see an opportunity to expand my home theatre
pleasure too many benefits to pass up.
And those of you who are annoyed with using too many speakers or the placement of them, there are choices to choose from! and if not you don't have too.
Most have not heard this Dolby Atmos I would wait to have a demo first and then decide. that my 2 cents worth.

For those interested, KEF have released more details and indeed pricing for their R series Atmos modules:

Hi-Fi Speakers - R Series - Fact Sheets - Dolby Atmos - R50 Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers - KEF United Kingdom

The KEF R50 Dolby Atmos speaker modules will be available from early November, with a price tag of £600 per pair.

KEF are also suggesting that the R50 speaker modules are suitable for use with any make or brand and are not just for use in conjunction with other R series speakers.

One reviewer's opinion on Atmos using the Onkyo TX-NR838

'On the strength of the Onkyo TX-NR838, I predict the days of buying a non-Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receiver are drawing rapidly to a close. The future of home theatre begins here.'

One reviewer's opinion on Atmos using the Onkyo TX-NR838

'On the strength of the Onkyo TX-NR838, I predict the days of buying a non-Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receiver are drawing rapidly to a close. The future of home theatre begins here.'

Easy to say if you are willing to put up with the additional speakers or even able to accomodate them. AV receivers aren't that popular to begin with so introducing a new format that requires a setup that dominates even more space isn't gping to make them any more popular. I doubt Atmos will break any new ground when it comes to populising home theatre or that anyone who isn't already dedicated to home theatre would want it.

There are far too many factors besides Atmos that dictate home theatre's future. The sound is only of any relevance if you can impliment it. Atmos is only the future of home cinema until the next big thing is unveiled by those who need to keep reinventing things in order to keep making money.

The way things are moving, soundbars are far more likely to be the future of home theatre than Atmos.

I've got a Yamaha RX-A2040 in for review at the moment. I'm expecting the Dolby Atmos firmware update any day and I'm in the middle of attaching speakers to the ceiling, so I should be able to give you guys a real review of Atmos soon.

I've got a Yamaha RX-A2040 in for review at the moment. I'm expecting the Dolby Atmos firmware update any day and I'm in the middle of attaching speakers to the ceiling, so I should be able to give you guys a real review of Atmos soon.

Looking forward to your review Steve. How many ceiling speakers are you going for?

I'm going for four, so I should be able to do a 7.1.2 and 5.1.4 configuration with the Yamaha.

OK getting into this -

We already have 7 speakers in the ceiling- do we need to have the front speakers lower ??

That will not make the wife happy !!!!

OK getting into this -

We already have 7 speakers in the ceiling- do we need to have the front speakers lower ??

That will not make the wife happy !!!!

Ideally the bed 5 or 7 speakers should be placed close to ear height, so that it is easier to differentiate the Atmos (overhead) effects.

does ear hight mean half way up the wall ?

We can get the speakers close to the sitting area, but in the wall would be a issue.

It means placing the speakers at a height similar to that of your head while you are seated in your primary listening position.

Atmos cannot work with the 5.1 or 7.1 speakers also being at ceiling level and only the additional Atmos speakers should be on or in the ceiling.

Last edited:
Oh,

That`s going to be interesting in our house !!

Least it will be easy for us to do a test to see if our ears can tell the difference.

However need some really nice speakers, my wifey will not complain about !!!

My original plan was to have a 7.1.2 system with in-wall speakers for fronts and centre and in-ceiling speakers for the rest.

Room dimensions: 12'4" X 16'1". Viewing distance: about 15 feet.

AV receiver: Yamaha RX-A2040
Speakers: MA WT280-IDC for fronts and centre, CT265 for side and rear surrounds, and CT265-IDC for 2 Atmos speakers.

Based on the recent comments, I've now decided to go for in-wall speakers for surrounds as well, and Atmos for the ceiling.

Here's my dilemma:

- Ideally, I should go for a 7.1.4 setup, which means an upgrade from Yamaha RX-A2040 to 3040, an additional stereo amplifier as well as 2 additional speakers, which is a significant cost increase.

- In order to stay with a 9-speaker system without disturbing my budget, I can either go for 7.1.2 or 5.1.4. Which one is better?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom