Bringing it all Back Home - Dolby Demonstrates Atmos for the Living Room

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve Withers, Aug 13, 2014.

Tags:

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,081
    2. djnickm

djnickm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +419
      Excellent review of domestic Atmos. Looking forward to how this is implemented within the Datasat RS20i.

Having had Auro for the last week, I'm super excited to hear object rendered sound.

Thanks guys!

3. COPPER585

COPPER585

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      this should be promoted as an exciting addition to 4k blu ray discs, really setting them apart from either dvd or standard blu ray, rather than putting them on blu ray discs, the industry are really gonna struggle to promote 4k to the masses who are happy with standard def tv and dvd listening thru their poxy tv speakers or at best a soundbar.

4. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,525
      Great write up, and it's promising that you felt the upwards-firing idea worked.

Steve W

5. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +229
      Very exciting indeed, i do like the new speaker design could save a lot of trouble and strife in my household. any word on the price of theses new speakers yet?

6. supahyp

supahyp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +164
      This sounds like a great new codec . I reckon I could get four in ceiling speakers in where I currently have spot lights that I never use , so hopefully installation should be okay .
      My only question is whether less expensive in ceiling speakers would do the job or whether speakers at least equivalent quality to the sides will need to be used .

7. True Romance

True Romance
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,942
      Can't see many studios ditching dts just to put a atmos track on? From my experience 80-90% of discs I watch come with dts hd audio. Why is this? I'm guessing licencing is a lot cheaper than dolby??

8. NM20

NM20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +178
      There is my Christmas present sorted.

Shame people with pitched ceilings (I.e. me) won't be able to have the speaker on speaker version. We will have to drill holes.

9. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +354
      Did I miss it? How many speakers were used at the demo? 7.1.4?

10. mattkhan

mattkhan
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,252
      No difference in cost, just dts authoring tools were easier to use early in the life of bd.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    11. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      Completely off-topic, but it must suck to work in dolby offices, you are working inside a building with probably the best cinema setup (and now home cinema setup) in the country and have to go home on an evening and settle for whatever personal setup you have, no doubt a faction as good, and since their work is about audio, I assume they will notice the difference and it bug them.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    12. probedb

probedb
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +180
      You're right it isn't mentioned in the article. Steve?

This only becomes an option for me if the upfiring speakers can be put on top of my floorstanders as I'm not about to replace them :)

13. hodg100

hodg100
      Previously Mark Hodgkinson

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,450
      Does this help...

"In the case of this demonstration, Dolby were using a standard 7.1 configuration with four overhead speakers and they also had special Dolby Atmos speakers over the front and rear left and right speakers, so that we could compare the two approaches to adding overhead sounds."

14. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +320
      Those Dolby Atmos speakers on top of the floor standers look very similar to the design of the Kef R series speakers. If they are actually 'Kef' add ons, I wonder if Kef are about to bring out some extra speakers to complement their existing range or if they were just made for Dolby.

I admit that I was very cynical of the 'effect' the add on speakers would make but after reading this review and other reviews I am now very much looking forward to hearing Atmos.

Interesting times ahead :)

15. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      Being a little cynical, I wonder how much the room dimensions being just right to the angle of the addons comes into effect. They are bouncing at an angle, and so depending on the size of the room and the height of the room there has to be a chance that most of the sound bounce off the back wall, after the ceiling, before hitting the listening. Effectively making the front heights sound like rear effects.

I should add that I was completely sold on Atmos by the podcast with Andrew Jones from Pioneer Speakers. Yeah I know its in his personal interests to make it sound like a worthwhile format, but what he said seemed to make sense, and he appeared from my perspective to be fairly honest in what he was saying.

The frustrating part for me, is that I have rosewood MA speakers and the current version of rosewood from MA is a different tone and so even if I got MA addon speakers, they would look stupid and a pair of black ones would probably look worse. Ok my fault for not buying plain black speakers I guess.

A pair of rear addons would look fine I think, since rear speakers are out of the normal line of sight anyway. I wonder if there would be any benefit from only running rear atmos addons and nothing for the fronts.

p.s. Steve do you have any pictures of the rear speaker setups, I can only see the fronts?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    16. True Romance

True Romance
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,942
      So will studios now swap over from dts to dolby just to include a atmos track? Can't see it happening any time soon as atmos is going to be a very small market for some time imo. As much as I love the idea of atmos until we know that most studio's are on board I'm hanging fire on upgrading.

17. mattkhan

mattkhan
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,252
      Apparently content announcements will follow at cedia. Personally I will wait until dts-uhd is there and the first few generations of kit have passed before jumping in.

18. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      If what they are saying it true and it really is a lot easier to master with, then sure why not switch over. In theory it should also be easier to down convert from a cinema designed sound to a home setup using an object system.

I also can't see DTS just sitting there and not hitting back with their own system in a new future, which might be a reason to hold off investing, until both formats are out.

19. dckoppen

dckoppen
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Very facinating read Steve. And good to hear that the ATMOS speakers perform well!

I only have one question on which I can't find the anwser to. I recently bought a Pioneer LX-77 and i'm very happy with it, but no I feel I miss out because of this new sound format. I remember in earlier press releases that they spoke of existing receivers to receive a firmware upgrade for Dolby ATMOS. In this article you referred to it once again. But is this because certain new atmos enabled receivers need a firmware upgrade later in the year? Or can existing receivers with 9 channels like my LX-77 do ATMOS after a firmware upgrade. Hope you can clarify this.
      Thank you in advance!

20. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      Dckoppen have a listen to the home theatre geek podcast with the guy from Pioneer.

In short, unlikely you will be able to upgrade, the new format needs significantly more processing power than the current format and so only AV amps that were designed to be upgradeable to Atmos (the ones released in the last couple of months) will be upgradeable.

I am guessing the real top end ones will be, but they can have their processing units (modular design) etc replaced.

21. probedb

probedb
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +180
      Oops, yeah it does help when I'm scanning for 7.1.4 ;)

22. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +171
      DTS-Neo x anyone....

23. NM20

NM20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +178
      Isn't Expendables 2 the only film that used this?

24. JGM

JGM

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +228
      There were a couple of other films that had been optimised for it but it can be used with any sound format. I prefer it to the equivalent Audyssey DSX.

25. NM20

NM20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +178
      I have everything matrixed to NeoX. However it would be nice to get some authentically designed material, hence why I will be jumping on the Atmos bandwagon.

26. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +572
      One thing I am curious about, which sounded better, the overhead speakers or the modules?

I assume the overhead but re-reading the write up and I only read about almost sounded like the speakers were overhead, but doesn't mention which sounds best whether sounding overhead or not.

27. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,081
      I do mention in the article that Dolby were using a 7.1 setup with 4 overheads, so 7.1.4

28. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,081
      I think the overheads sounded slightly better but it was hard sometimes to actually tell the difference, so if you do go the Atmos speaker route you won't be disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    29. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,525
      I'm still sceptical, but I hope I remain open-minded.

One problem I foresee is adding speakers to older set ups - and not all that old.

People (well...erm...me :( ) like to keep their speakers matched - hence I have all Monitor Audios from the same series. The series is now close to defunct. If I decide to upgrade to Atmos in a couple of years, I may well not find matching speakers.

In addition, my front 3 speakers are in-wall (fairly rare, I'll admit), whilst my 4 rears are di/bi-pole wall mounts, already quite a long way up the wall. Adding upward firing add-ons to these would be at least difficult, and more likely impossible. In short, I'd have absolutely no option but to add in-ceiling speakers, and there'll be many in my position.

Actually, that wouldn't be quite so bad for me, as my room is on the top floor with a loft above - I already have all of my speaker cable going through there - but for anyone with their cinema room not on the top floor, it's going to be tough.

BTW, just checked, and I think 4 MA in-ceilings would set me back c.£540, which I don't suppose is a fortune.

But finally, there's still a part of me thinking...so what? At what point do I say "TOO MUCH!".

Is it impossible to imagine a future system requiring 5 fronts (some have this already) a couple on each side and a couple on the back wall, 4 above, how about 'below' speakers? You know, sound from volcanoes, earthquakes, the road beneath a car, the x-wing beneath your spaceship?

Even if all of these are very valid, and do indeed do what they're supposed to, and do it well, at what point do we say we've come far enough?

Ask me in 5 years. :D

Steve W

30. big boss

big boss

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +354
      Thanks for the info. I must be blind....I still can't see where you've mentioned in the article!