1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bringing back US spec receiver ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by homebound, Oct 16, 2003.

1. homebound

homebound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After living here in California for the past 10 years, it looks like I'll be heading home next spring following a nasty motorcycle accident earlier this year.
    I plan on bringing back most of my home theater, M&K and Mirage speakers and a Sanyo Z2 projector ( currently on order ). I have buyers for my HDTV, DVD player, Mirage subwoofer and Denon AVR 4800 receiver.
    I'll get a new SVS sub with 240v power supply but I would really like to bring back a new Pioneer Elite, Denon or Harmon Kardan receiver. I know the FM radio isn't compatible but using it as a surround sound amp with a voltage converter should work fine, correct ?
    Is there anyone on the UK AV Forum using a US spec receiver in their home theater ?
    Thanks to anyone that chimes in .
    Cheers, Rob.:smashin:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    no reason why it shouldnt work....

ad

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You might not be allowed to import the receiver if the tuner doesn't have the same band as tuners in the UK.
    As well the Denon does AFAIK have a RF remote control function, if that band is licensed either in the UK you might not be allowed to import it, too.
    A power converter for the required consumption of an amp in this class would be fairly big and expensive, as well the amp might not be able to deal with PAL signals (depends perhaps on make and model).

4. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep. I second that. My dad did it a couple years ago without any trouble.

Let me just add two pieces of advice. Make sure you bring over a sturdy-ish power converter and an outlet strip (from the likes of Radio Shack, for instance) that you can hook any US AV electricals into before plugging into the 240V mains in your new UK residence. Otherwise, you'll experience an almighty bang and no more AV equipment (up in smoke).

Second, you will want to declare the stuff you are bringing over with UK Custums (actually, you'll want to declare everything you bring over of any worth or value - your shipping company should be able to help with this). This is not a problem, and should cost you nothing if you are moving over here - it's just if you declare stuff when you move over, like your AV equip., then if anything goes wrong with it and you need to send it back to the States for repair (don't know if UK places will repair US stuff), then you will have proper documentation that you purchased it whilst living in the US and you will then not have to pay any VAT on the original cost of the machine - only on the repair value. Take it from me, this is well worth it - I got smacked with a Customs VAT charge on something I had to send back, and not having this documentation it was a bit dicey for a while as to whether I'd have to pay full VAT on the full cost of the product (a lot of money).

Hope this helps. Post back if you have any other questions.

Jim;)

5. homebound

homebound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.
    Does anyone know what the Euro equvalent of the Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi is ? Do Pioneers have audio delay ? I'm concerned about audio sync with a LCD projector.
    Also should I be concerned about the 50/60hz cycle difference having an effect on the receiver ?
    Thanks again, Rob.:smashin:

6. Rainbow6

Rainbow6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Rob. Can't help you there. Mabye someone else here knows???
    Jim