1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bring it all together, advice please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by welton, Oct 30, 2005.

1. welton

welton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ladies and gentleman,

I am about to install an AV system into a new build house and need a little info.

I want to connect

sky plus
    DVD player
    Xbox
    PC

all to a plasma.

Can i get an AV amp that i can input all the full signals into (sound & vision) that i can control with one remote? What sort of prices do these start at (im in the UK)

Thanks for your advice

Welton

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    ok, dont know exactly what connections some of your stuff is likely to have, but this example might work well...on these assumptions
    Plasma has HDMI, DVI or VGA, Component, S-video inputs and Scarts

Sky+ direct to Plasma by Scart so you get RGB
    DVD player direct to plasma by HDMI
    X-Box direct to plasma by component (i dont know if X-Box has component, for the moment im assuming it does, if it doesnt then use Scart or s-video)
    PC direct to Plasma by DVI or VGA (if graphics card is twin DVI, just get DVI-VGA adaptor)
    Then for all the above, use the best sound output they have to the AV receiver, so digital coax, or optical, if not use analogue RCA phono leads (for the PC you will need 3.5mm to stereo RCA splitter cables)

That will give you the best picture and sound connections available, you can get one decent learning remote to control both TV and receiver, plus all the other boxes.

However, if you want everything switched through the amp, unless you spend (currently) a lot of money, you wont get the best quality picture.....but it would go like this....
    (on an amp currently between £500-£1,000, possibly cheaper by now i dont know)

Sky+ by s-video to amp
    DVD player by component to amp
    X-Box by component if it has it or if not by s-video
    PC to amp by s-video, if no s-video then if graphics card supports it get a DVI to component convertor, they do exist but are not easy to get hold of and require certain software programs on the computer to work properly.

same as before send all sound by best available option.....
    then get a component cable from output on amp to plasma (at this price the amp should upconvert all signals plugged in to it to component, it doesnt make the quality better, its just changing the signal type).

However with some newer amps coming on the market or more expensive current models, you may be able to connect the DVD player by HDMI to amp and have amp upconvert all signals to HDMI output instead of component.

Basically, because amps dont normally accept RGB signals, most things like Sky+ and consoles need to be connected straight to the display to get the best picture....
    likewise things like DVD and computers need to go straight to display because they use HDMI or DVI which again, amps dont generally make allowances for, upcoming models will begin to as the HiDef era takes off, but they are still not cheap.....

at the mo i think you need to fork out around £3,000 plus to get both HDMI and DVI input/output.....so unless you looking at that price range, putting most of your vision straight to the display is probably wiser for quality......use the receiver mostly for the sound.........because my projector is on the other side of the room from most of my components tho i have my stuff in the receiver with one long component to the projector, but my Sky+ is connected to my TV direct with RGB scart....(but to my amp by s-video for use on PJ)

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    btw, should add, s-video output from a graphics card on a computer will only give you a certain fixed resolution, cant remember what it is now tho.....either 800x600 or 1024x768.....it wont output native widescreen....and the picture quality wont be much cop either quite often........you really are better off finding a way to use DVI or VGA