1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bring back Elite on New gen machines

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Malone, May 11, 2005.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I do not believe I was an avid follower of this game, but...... I do remember playing this and getting a real feel of an expansive universe through which I could travel and do as I wish. At the time I could only dream of a game where you could travel between planetary systems with graphics to match, the apparently open ended gameplay.

Surely now we have reached this generation of machines, in the same light that only in the last few years has it been possible to do the trilogy 'Lord of the Ring's ' any justice, we can produce a game that gives us the option to approach a planet request landing authorisation then slowly travel through the atmosphere down to an reasonably accurate land mass to land at then maybe travel in a lighter craft into a city and do business in whatever way we see fit.

As others have posted on another thread imagine this online where you could group together a set of friends on XB live where you can put your self earned cash towards bigger better ships/weapons etc etc to travel through a universe together doing as you wish. The potential is enormous. Please Please David Braben perform your magic. :smashin:

Matt

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    I don't know if that really sounds fun? What happens if your request is denied or the beaurocratic penpushers at city hall decide to make you wait 3 hours while they get the forms printed out in triplicate and do a customs survey on your ship?

Personally I would love to see an update to Elite of the Archimedes version with just updated graphics and ship AI. I don't see the need to have loads of planets to visit and walk around on because all it will boil down to is just visiting the same old places and it will be more like a timesink. Menus on a spacestation do me.

I don't think realism or complexity lends itself well to Elite as then you lose the beauty of the original game.

Besides you couldn't have some of the realism that was mentioned in previous threads as it is impossible to travel through singularities (wormholes) without being ripped apart, and warp is a very dubious fictional creation.

3. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The beauty of Elite 2 though was that much of the galaxy was generated by a seed, with a couple of dozen handcoded systems - all withing 700KB. With today's technology it's possible to create an even more advanced seed that can produce incredibly more complex worlds and give them far more individualisation, not to mention those that can be handcoded. With AI and MMPORPG elements it would extend it further.
    In Elite 2 there were two rivals, The Federation and The Empire. An all out war between the two can open up a whole load of options and the game will no longer be mostly about trading and hunting pirates.
    First Encounters also had a very loose plot, by following a specific set of missions that can only be found at one system at a specific time, you're led into a first contact scenario with the Thargons. With thousands of loose plots like that there can be a huge amount of freedom and adventure that doesn't become repetative.

The multiplayer game would have to avoid anything close to real physics, just to keep everyone on the same time and date. An offline version could be closer to reality, despite having to depend on warp. Warp in Frontier takes days to accomplish, but because of the time accelerator/hybernator unit (I've forgotten what it was called) it only took a matter of seconds for the player. It's not realistic but it's closer.

4. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I must say that I probably do agree with Sinzer, even though it was me getting a bit carried away with my ideas on the previous thread. The things with these amazing sounding ideas is that they almost stop being a game and start being another life. Elite was a work of genius because when you played the game it sucked you in and you felt extremely involved in the game. Yet on the other hand you could play it, then turn off and perhaps come back to it a few days later to recommence your life as a space pirate!

I guess when you bring the whole complexity of the MMO aspect into it, it becomes harder to break away from the game as it can't just be saved to pick up again. When the whole world generates a life of it's own there is a huge compulsion to stay in that world as long as possible to progress as far as you can and to ensure that you don't "miss out". Then again if you can devise a game that focuses less on the time you spend in the game world but more on how well you play whilst in that world then the time sink nature of these games would be reduced a fair bit.

I still think that if this game was to be produced then the X-Box 360 with it's controller and it's Live service, would be a great system to do it on.

I guess having fully detailed planet surfaces would take up a lot of info and maybe add a complexity that isn't required by the game. There is also the aspect of allowing too much freedom in a game so much so that it becomes a struggle to know what to do and where to go.

I feel that i'm sat right on the fence with this one at the moment though. On one hand i'd love to see this sort of game, but on the other there are so many practical issues that need to be resolved so that it continues to be a game, avoids being a huge time sink and is open ended enough whilst keeping some form of structure so that gamers don't spend all day trying to find out just what to do!

5. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the beauty of the seed system. It'll randomly generate a planet with very litttle memory. If there are thousands of preset plots going on it's not likely you're going to miss out, and I don't see why many of these can't be repeated later on in game time with a slight tweak of locations, and you'll never beable to access them all whether you're online or not.
    I don't want it to be like typical MMORPGs though with rare-items and pointless leveling up. Newbies should be safe enough - in Frontier the major systems were well "policed" and you get fined for piracy or even firing a lazer, so I can't see how an online version would be different - newbies should be safe enough to trade items and develop their ships without having to get into a skirmish. If they are attacked, like in Elite 2, the pirate will get fined and will have dozens of police ships chasing after them.

6. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,336
    Ugh, which thread are we meant to discuss this in?

I only ever played the C64 version, but did make it all the way to Elite status :thumbsup: , eventually. I agree with Sinzer that you shouldnt be assigned jobs, much like in the GTA games you just do what you want when you want, you dont have to start a Taxi Driver job before you can start earning money in a taxi.

One thing which would be good is a computer for general flight, or even combat. Then if you're making a simple cargo run it knows to head for the space-station automatically, and could at least have an attempt at fighting off a single pirate. The number of times i'd be making a cup of tea and get blown up because i wasnt really watching... Should probably have different music than "The Blue Danube" just so you know which computer is engaged.

Not so keen on planetary missions, but being able to disable and dock with another ship, and say jump into a 3rd/first person mode to hijack/steal cargo/take hostages could be interesting. Oh and missions should show on the star map, the C64 version you just had to wander and check out each planet in each of the 8 galaxys was a bit of a chore.

The MMO option is interesting, but that can so often break a game due to the competitive nature, and thus arse-wipes that must be "elite" will sit there all day every day making it bad for others; O my deity(s) can you imagine the variations on "1337" the kiddies will use in their handles?! Maybe the way forward would be like Guild Wars where its quick to top-out, and missions are contained, and hence less world effecting than a true MMORPG. It would solve people spending hours getting the good weapons, yet annlow a learning curve.

Obviously vector graphics arent the latest thing anymore... :rolleyes:

7. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Can the MODS please close this or whatever is relevant or link etc to the other thread in Other Gaming PiePie had the 1st :thumbsup:

This is other thread to keep alive.
    Cheers
    Matt

8. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Edit: I replied to the wrong thread, do'h

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I was a totally over the top Elite fan. I played it on every system it was available for I think with one or two minor exceptions like the C+4 version which was never an official version.

As much as I liked Frontier I never liked the realistic dog fighting of it and would prefer to see the less realistic Elite style dogfighting without grafity. First Encounters was just constant crashing and problems for my pc so never really got into it.

If nothing else I'd like to see a XP compatible Frontier screensaver game so you can toggle between normal browsing and a quick 3 mins or so on Frontier at an instant. The same could be true of the next Xbox. Taking only about 2meg of rom or hard drive space it would be nice to have a version of Frontier hardcoded and included with every console perhaps with network features enabled.

Perhaps a version of Elite with absolutely amazing graphics with incredibly detailed ships and scaling would be good. This would continue the classic simple gameplay but also offer bang upto date eye candy graphics.