Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Bring All the Sport back on the BBC and ITV

Discussion in 'Sport' started by LewGrade, Aug 24, 2005.

1. LewGrade

LewGrade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a petition for you all to consider signing about bringing all the sport back on the BBC and ITV www.petitiononline.com/bbcsport/petition.html because I think you should all be entitled to watch it on the terrestrial channels because the Sky coverage of sport is bloody awful. It covers all sports - football, cricket, golf, tennis, rugby etc.

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Stop snorting the coke mate Sky coverage of sport is miles better than the beeb and itv :lesson:

Adrenochrome.

3. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Couldn't agree with Adrenochrome more. Don't really watch many other sports, but the football coverage on Sky is fantastic! :thumbsup:
    Nothing on BBC/ITV comes close

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What I dislike about sport on terrestrial tv is that they never have any time for build-up or analysis - the broadcast will go on air a couple of minutes before the event/match starts, and then end a couple of minutes after the event/match finishes.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Why should anyone be "entitled" to watch anything on terrestrial TV :confused:

6. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I fully understand why people want to watch sport for nothing.

Who in their right mind would want to pay for it if they didn't have to ?

However,are terrestrial tv broadcasters really going to have specific channells for sport like Sky ? Are they really committed to the sports they cover - & I'm not just talking about money.

I doubt it & until they do I can't take them seriously in terms of competing with Sky.

By & large the terrestrial tv coverage of sports is pants & Sky very good.
    In particular ITV is generally shocking in it's coverage of sport.
    I'm no fan of F1 but didn't they recently cut to an advert on the last lap when all the action was taking place?

There are a few exceptions on both sides of the coin i.e Cricket on Channel 4 is excellent & SKY certainly over hype various sports/events.

However,on balance SKy is excellent & fully committed to sport & as a general sports lover that's good enough for me.I just don't see that commiment from BBC/ITV etc because they have a remit to take a broader view & worry about Molly missing their fill of East Enders or worry about getting their ads in etc.

I just cannot relate to the statement "Sky coverage of sport is bloody awful".

If it was left to the BBC/ITV etc - coverage would still be in the dark ages & any minor improvements they have made have been on the back of following Sky's innovations.

When I'm convinced that the terrestrial tv broadcasters are really committed to sport & have specfic channels I would have little hesitation in signing your petition.
    However,until that happens there is not a cat in hells chance of me signing up.

Cart before the horse in this instance.

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    quoted for truth

now if they just get rid of Andy Gray for when it starts in High Definition it will be perfect coverage

8. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,212
    MC Hammer
    When I'm convinced that the terrestrial tv broadcasters are really committed to sport & have specfic channels I would have little hesitation in signing your petition.
    However,until that happens there is not a cat in hells chance of me signing up.

Couldn't agree more.

How anyone can support BBCs' coverage is beyond me.
    The open golf this year was one example. They stopped coverage on the second day just as the leaders were about to play the last hole.

Another example is the World championship Snooker. You get a couple of hours in the afternoon (interspersed with racing), about an 45 minites around 6:30, then you have to wait til about 11:30 PM to catch with the conclusions of the days play - BUT - you have to watch hi-lites first of the earlier coverage you have already watched. So, unless you go to teletext or have seen it on Eurosport, you have to sit up until about 12:30 in the morning to find out whats happening.

9. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,894
    Exactly what happened after ManUtd won the ECL :mad: . I can remember watching RTL on analogue sat for post match interviews

John

10. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,472
    Yes I remember thinking that I would be very annoyed if I was a United supporter, it annoyed me enough as I like to see the celebrations no matter who has won.
    Another ITV cock-up was a recent Grand Prix when they went to an ad break and missed a few laps right at the end of the race, absolutely shocking in my view and ITV should leave sport presentation to the professionals :mad:

11. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,894
    What made it even worse imho , was the manner in which Utd had won it . Still everything has to stop for Corrie :suicide:

I remember it , ITV got their arses kicked for that by ofcom (or whatever they happen to be now) , poochmeister posted a link iirc

John

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,428
    BBC and ITV aren't perfect, but are watchable. Five though.....

13. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    ****** to that mate.

Was never any Rugby League on terrestial and now Sky do a sterling job.

Football - Sky have transformed coverage of this and are light years away in their approach. By chocice if the same match was on terrestial and Sky then I would be watching on Sky without a second thought.

Cricket - No comparison.

Boxing - No comparison.

Infact, is their any sport coverage that terrestial had previosuly that sky don't do bigger and better???

Branny

14. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,894
    You forgot Aerobics Oz Style , no chance of that on BBC or ITV . Maybe 5 tho' :devil:

John

15. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    I dont mind Sky having sports, but i do object to them having all most of the England games in whatever sport. For me terrestrial should have the rights to all major tournaments and whenever the national side are playing.
    Having watched some coverage on cricket on sky and watched most of it on four i must say i think channel 4 is miles better.
    Oh and as for the 'build up' etc. its only sport at the end the day, sky from what ive seen make it out it to be world war 3!

Rant over..........

16. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    But both are miles better than BBC ever used to be.

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    I agree with the last post. England international should be on terrestrial so that all the young kids in our country can watch them.Same goes for rugby and cricket indeedc all major sports Currently Sky only has about 7 millions subscribers which is hardfly surprising given the amount of rubbish they produce.I disagree that they do sport better any way . The commentery is infuriating CliveTyldesely's constant blahterings about this and that reduce me to a state of apoplexy. Why cant he stick to who is passing to who instead of going on about a players past or what his missus did the night before. I get so angry I want to throw something at the telly. :mad: As for the presenters A Gray and the other bloke, dont even get me to go there.The intro and outro at an hr each are far too long, endlessly analysing a match,bleating endless platitudes. Its so irritating it almost turned me off footy but then Match of the day saved the day showing me as much as I want to see of each premiership match and with good concise commentary. Linekar Hanson and the other bloke.Barry Davies and John Motson.AND NO COMMERCIALS :thumbsup:
    Champions league should stay with the ITV as well where it belongs. I say stop that Murdoch getting his greedy mits on all our sport.

18. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Disagree R Benaud and Geof Boycott did a reasonable fist of it as did the late Jonh Arlot, Fred Trueman another great.Then there was that famous spinner also sadly deceased. :thumbsup: and can one evre forget the incomparable Jonno.
    I'm nmot saying Sky and Channel 4 do it badly, but miles better? Never!Much cheaper too.

19. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,894
    If you don't like Pre and Post match analysis , don't watch it . No ones forcing you to . I like it , I watch it . If you don't , then just tune in for kick off .
    Thats the beauty of a dedicated sports channel , there is no pressure from anyone to show "the Simsons" or "corrie" or "Animals do the funniest things" or any other crap filler ITV put after CL footie

John

20. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    I am simply expressing an opinion thats all as you are. I think Sky pundits are rubbish not a patch on Beebs lot and I wonder how much nonsense can be spouted about a particular match :rolleyes:

21. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,022
    I just read this post...what a stupid petition. That's all I have to say about that.

22. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    "The commentery is infuriating CliveTyldesely's constant blahterings about this and that reduce me to a state of apoplexy"

Agreed - Trouble is he does the main ITV commentery.

"Champions league should stay with the ITV as well where it belongs."

ITV's coverage is bar & large pants - namely the commentery above & their picture is even worse than pants.

"Disagree R Benaud and Geof Boycott did a reasonable fist of it as did the late Jonh Arlot, Fred Trueman another great"

Arlott must have died close to 20 years ago & never worked on Test matches on TV.Nor did Trueman work on TV.In addition he was about the worst person I've ever heard on the radio as he hardly ever commentated on the game as he was too busy telling everyone what a great bowler he was & how he would have mopped up the oppostion for 50.

The BBC did have the great Benuad & Jim Laker but their in depth anaylysis was rubbish.Particularly for those new to cricket.Both channel 4 & Sky are excellent & with the noteable exceptions leave BBC TV standing.

I repeat, if those moaning about sport being on SKY they need to worry & campaign to - firstly - get ITV/BBC to take their sports coverage seriously.For them to even hope to do that they need at least one each dedicated sports channel.

23. branny

branny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Mind you ITV did a great job on Freeview a few seasons ago. Oh yeah, thats right they ****ed everything up....****ed loads of teams up and didn't show the last remaining matches.

Champions league on ITV. 42 inch plassie (and 32 inch Wide B4) and what do they do, show the match in 4:3. Crap.

As for Sky, love it, watch Sky Sportorts & SS News all the time. Never had that option before.

Branny

24. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,428
    didn't the EU make a ruling saying live Prem games need to be shared more for next season?

'cos Sky had a monopoly, breaking competition rules?

Edit: could be 4 2007?

25. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +499
    Itv just bugger up everything, not only sport but films as well..........bbc are getting the same way as well. (breaks for news etc)

26. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,428
    that is annoying...20 min of a film left and we get a news break!

27. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,835
    I prefer Eurosport!

Plus what do the BBC and ITV offer, that Sky don't?

28. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,835
    There is something like that. As RTE in Ireland will be showing live Premiership games this season, not many, only around a dozen or so i think.

29. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,976
    Well for a start they dont offer to filch £30 + a month to watch footy.Also their minstream porogramming is 1000 times better than anything Sky can offer.

30. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,835
    Er....i wasn't talking about the cost, and their mainstream programming. We're talking about their sports coverage!!

For me, Eurosport has everything i want.