1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brilliant Idea or Stupid ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by builder, Nov 30, 2004.

1. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Whilst musing in the bath the other night I had a Eureka moment.

I've just about finished my kitchen extension and need another project. I've decided I could knock a hole through a cavity wall that is now internal and seperates my living from a workshop. By creating a false wall thus keeping the workshop seperate I could...

Inset my 36" Tosh CRT into the the new cavity and have the screen flush with the living room wall and so creating the best of both worlds ( in fact it would be even less intrusive than a plasma). I would build a nice frame around the opening, sort out the ventilation from the back and have a sliding base system to allow for easy access.

This would also free up the the living room floor space and create a totally clean look.

What do you think? Has anybody done this before? Am a nutter ?

Regards

builder
    :clap:

2. lambonl

lambonl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Builder,
    I have just completed a project where I removed my chimney (which was in the center of my house) and used the space to create an AV center. I have an old 29" sony, which is BIG, and freed up 2-3 feet of living room space. WAF went through the roof!!! :rotfl:

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Well, I usually play with my rubber duck in the bath...

( but that's :offtopic: and definately :censored: )

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Builder,

That sounds like quite a good idea.

The only snag that comes to mind is if you ever move house.

The next people might not be too keen on a gaping hole, so you may have to donate the tv to them.

4. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I thought about the same thing in my old house, putting the TV under the stairs. I guess it wouldn't be too much hassle to block the hole back up if necessary. Or, sell the TV with the house and let the buyer pay stamp duty on it!

5. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I built a partition wall around my Panasonic 47" rear projection and it looked great and worked fine too. Separated my lounge and dining room. Cleared a huge amount of floor space. Worth doing, although do bear in mind that if/when you move house you'll either need to donate the tv as mentioned above, or fill in the hole. Of course the new owners may want the hole themselves so I figured I'd cross that bridge when I came to it.

6. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoooraahhh,

I'm not mad!!! I just need to concoct a way of extolling the virtues to my non paying cinema goer. ( Wifey ).

I suspect the constructional issues will be far easier to deal with.

Good point about the exit strategy I never got that far as the water went cold !!!

regards

builder

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oh Builder, I don't think you've thought about the audio.

The visual impact would have plenty of 'Oomph' but at the expense of 'Woof' since the speaker is in the back of the tv cabinet. Is this a ploy to get your wife to buy you a home cinema sound package for Christmas perhaps ? - Regards, yt.

8. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I had a similar idea but for the bathroom, can anyone comment on if it's a workable idea or not? (Pleeease read the details before saying "No it's stupid"!)

We're getting our bathroom done, my idea is to knock a hole in the wall above one end of the bath big enough to fit a 26-30" lcd screen in. Seal the hole on the bathroom side with a semi-silvered mirror so it just looks like a mirror when the TV is off. When the TV is on due to the fact that it's enclosed on the other side the TV will be bright enough to show through the mirror glass.

Since it's a semi silvered mirror no light from the bathroom can get out (i.e. you can't see in!) and when the TV's off it just looks like a mirror.

You then fit in-ceiling bathroom speakers and hey-presto have AV in the bathroom. As far as I can figure it shouldn't cost that much as the only structural work is a hole in the wall and sealing the mirror reliably to the wall. I was planning on wiring in speakers anyway to have music in there. Can anyone think of any other large costs this might incur (apart from the TV etc, I'm talking about building work).

9. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    P.s. Mods, any chance of moving or copying this thread in the DIY forum where I was planning on posting this question?

10. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi red16v,

Good point, I'm Ok for the DVD content as I use an Elac Cinema 3XL speakers system with a Kenwood Krvf??? £400 pound jobbie with my Harman Kardon DVD25. I only use the inbuilt sound for normal TV viewing. I need to think then about using the extrnal stuff for all watching all, although it would interesting to try it and see how much the sound gets degraded.

Regards

builder

11. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lambonl,

Great news, the hole that WAF made when she went through the roof would be great for access to the chimney stack to fit that super duper high gain aerial you need.

Has she come back down yet.

builder