1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brighton & Hove area Denon AVC-A1SE owners?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jim Robson, Jul 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    :rolleyes: Hi! Are there any knowledgeable Denon AVC-A1SE owners in the City of Brighton & Hove? Rather than just receiving a few "YES" replies, would you be prepared to share some of this expertise, with me?

Regards

Jim :D

[ 15-07-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

2. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Jim,
    have you tried this forum

<A HREF="http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumdenonavr5800informationforum" TARGET=_blank>
    AVC-A1SE Forum</A>
    These guys will help you

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Is there a similar one for the A1D ? :)

4. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve! :p

Yes, I was aware of Spero D's Forum but although it's quite handy, I'm out of my depth most of the time. It seems soooo complicated. All I really want is for sme 'very nice person' to pop round to my hovel beside the cricket ground in Hove and say "Very nice indeed BUT you should have done this, that and the other. You've set your foo-foo valve incorrectly and the toggle shaft is out of alignment!" It all sounds fine to me but then I don't really know what I'm looking for! I've only heard one other person's system and that was severely compromised by his speaker positioning. Naturally I don't want the opinion of someone with less knowledge than myself!

Reiner, Kuala Lumpur isn't that far away you know!! AVC-A1SE owners on the HCC BB all seem to live miles away from me.

Regards

PS Duncan, I saw your post on Denon AVR-5800 & AVC-A1SE Information Forum and I'm sure someone will reply. Perhaps you might be able to ask any questions on the above forum even if there isn't a specific A1D forum. The AVC-A1SE isn't that different to the AVC-A1D and I'm sure many people had upgraded from that model. :cool: BTW Your signature came out very strangely on the AVC-A1SE Forum!

[ 14-07-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

5. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm! :rolleyes: I can't really believe that I'm the only AVC-A1SE owner in this area who reads this BB? Perhaps everyone else has Tag-McLaren equipment and isn't interested in my lowly Denon? Perhaps I'll have to lower my sights and ask if anyone who knows their stuff would be able to give me a hand to set my system up properly? I'm sure I have it at about 77% of what it could be but there are so many settings that I haven't really a clue about! If anybody would like to pop round and help (I live beside the Sussex County Cricket Ground in Hove) I'd be most grateful. Perhaps somebody could even recommend someone local who'd show me exactly what to do or give lessons on set up etc?

Regards

PS .....and no burglars either, please!! :(

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hello Jim :)

Well if you have a lowly AVC-A1SE then I'm not sure what it makes me owning an AVR-3801 ;) .
    All I can suggest, being a complete novice myself, is Sevenoaks Hifi/Sound and Vision in Hove. They installed my whole system and have been faultless ever since even with all my stupid questions.
    Up until January this year I had never even heard of DTS-ES Discrete !.
    Good Luck

7. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve! :cool:

You're lucky as it sounds as if you bought your amp/system from them too. I believe a Denon 3801 (nice amp apparently!) costs £800 but it can be found on the net for circa £550 (and probably much less now that the 3802 is on its way). That's a saving of £250 already which would probably pay for Stuart M Robinson to do a personal set-up for me including first class train travel and a night in the Grand Hotel!! I know the shop well as it's about 500 yards away. Sadly I couldn't have afforded my system if I hadn't bought the individual items very cannily (Scots word!). I must have saved myself a small fortune. I know that if you pay full whack they include the installation etc. All I'd like is for an expert and/or enthusiast to pop by and check it all out. Obviously I'm looking for someone who knows 'exactly' what he's doing.

Regards and thanks for the input, Spikey

[ 25-07-2001: Message edited by: Jim Robson ]

8. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Yep you're right about the price difference Jim, I knew that I would be paying over the odds at the time but was so unsure about setup/settings I figured the extra cost was worth it first time round. I've learnt so much since then but still not enough to help you, as much as I would like to.
    I really hope some help comes you're way.

All the best.

Steve.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Jim, so I am no expert and sometimes don't know what I am doing you may just send me a ticket and I drop buy to have a look - or we go down to the pub for a beer ...
    It's only a 13 hour flight, so I can be there before the weekend. :D

10. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK Reiner, it's a deal. A beer (or two even!) it is! When will you be over? I'm free on Saturday but will be watching the German Grand Prix on Sunday. I'm sure you'll be wanting to watch Ralfie and BMW-Williams try to beat all comers too, at Hockenheim?

Steve, it must have been interesting watching them set it all up for you. Did you watch it being done and ask pertinent questions or just sit back and enjoy things afterwards? I suppose it's a bit baffling if they just do it very quickly without explaining what's happening.

Regards

PS Oh I forgot that you wanted a return ticket, Reiner. :eek: How about popping over just as a friendly gesture and get away from all that heat and humidity for a day or two? :p

11. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Jim

I asked as many questions as possible, I guess that's just my inquisitive nature and was encouraged to help...I still remember having to help lift that Philips 36" Tv up one flight of stairs, hang on didn't I pay for somebody else to do that ??

12. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve!

I was lucky as Toshiba brought an army of men (well four!) to deliver my 56" RPTV. Fortunately I live on the ground floor but they still struggled to lift all 120 kilos :eek: of it up the five (wide) front steps. It was quite a shock to see the massive box it arrived in!

I still haven't had a rush of set up experts knocking at my door! :(

Regards

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would love to come over to Europe for a short vacation but then I heard it's pretty warm there at the moment (Germany at least) so no point, rather wait 'til autumn or winter, less hassle with my hewfever, too.

Next time then ... :)

Anybody planning a holiday here? Don't forget to gimme a call then! I am known to make a good tourist guide and claim to know the streets better than most taxi drivers do. :D

14. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, Reiner, we're having a mini heatwave here in the south of England. They even reckon it might exceed the all time record of 37 degrees Centigrade next week, somewhere inland!

Regards