Question Brightness output of VT65 plasma vs LG OLED?

gex23

After a few good years with my Panasonic 55" VT65 plasma, i'm starting to get itchy feet and want to upgrade to an OLED screen.

Now the room it's in is a bright room with bright direct sunlight for a few hours a day due to being a south facing room.

I've installed vertical blinds to provide a diffuse / non direct light as from reading on here it seems OLED sets can't cope with direct sunlight and need a bit more TLC then say Samsungs QLED screens.

So that brings me to my initial question - i've read a lot that the peak brightness of OLED panels can be underwhelming, so i'd like to know how a 55" B8 or C8 set would compare to my 55" VT65 plasma? As long as it's about equally as bright I could live with it.

(I've had a search for the NITS output of the VT65 but am unable to find the information)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
OLEDs are much brighter than plasmas, comparable to a lot of mid-range LCDs. Plasmas were around 100-150cd/m², maybe a bit more on the late models.

OLEDs are still not ideal in a well lit room and will have less contrast that a high end LCD like the Sony ZF9 or the upper end of Samsung's QLED range.

gex23

Thanks for the response.

I understand your advice re: OLED in a bright room but i've managed with a Plasma running mid luminance , below average brightness and custom settings, so surely the OLED, even in dark settings should be bright enough to view?

I have considered the Q9FN in the past, however the issues inherent with that tech put me off, plus I see OLED as the most logical upgrade from a plasma which still serves me well and gives me a good picture.

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Is it a logical upgrade? You need to be feeding any 4K tv high quality sources to get the best out of it.

So what will your sources be?

If you’re using the same sources as now then I wouldn’t be getting a 4K tv at all.

gex23

It will be HD sources via Virgin, 4k gaming via Xbox one X and Netflix 4K.

Some SD sources too but few and far between.

Mizzymooma

It will be HD sources via Virgin, 4k gaming via Xbox one X and Netflix 4K.

Some SD sources too but few and far between.

I've just got a panasonic 55fx750b, using similar sources namely xbox one x and I've got some great results. Might be worth a look and save any worries you may have with light. Not pushing just wanted to throw it out there.

arenaman

I went from VT65 to E7 and the OLED is much brighter, then again the VT65 was more than bright enough anyway

martin 39

Just changed from pioneer plasma to panasonic oled. So much brighter than the plasma Could not see why you would need anything brighter

martin 39

Thanks for the response.

I understand your advice re: OLED in a bright room but i've managed with a Plasma running mid luminance , below average brightness and custom settings, so surely the OLED, even in dark settings should be bright enough to view?

I have considered the Q9FN in the past, however the issues inherent with that tech put me off, plus I see OLED as the most logical upgrade from a plasma which still serves me well and gives me a good picture.
If you are happy with the panasonic i would definitely look at the panasonic oled so naturally looking and great with normal tv viewing

If you are happy with the panasonic i would definitely look at the panasonic oled so naturally looking and great with normal tv viewing

Can only agree as it's reason I got the panny oled in my den..although it's just for blurays full hd and 4khdr the picture very similar to plasma but more detailed and true blacks

Khazul

I find it depends on the content. I get a lot of light in our living room in the summer - for typical studio lit or outdoor factual/news or sport programs on TV, then the OLED is more than bright enough even with summer sun streaming in to create a high ambient light level - no problem for eg when the world cup was on last year.

The problems start when dealing with programmes that are produced to be theatrically dark for dramatic purposes (especially if in dolby vision), then you really do need to have some means of dropping the room lighting levels / and or consider at least semi opaque blinds.

It depends what you are watching. Before we got the OLED (LG B7V) we had already replaced all the lighting with phillips hue which is controllable from the same logitech harmony remote that controls all the AV/Hifi and TV and TBH having lighting control on the remote does make a huge difference when watching many movies or programs on Netflix for eg - its just nice to be able to conveniently drop the overall ambient light levels to match the production light level of whatever you are watching.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom