1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brightness of Domino 30H

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by romazicon, Feb 14, 2005.

1. romazicon

romazicon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No where do I see brightness ratings for Sim2 projectors and I am curious why?

I was looking to purchase an InFocus 7205 for my non-dedicated home theater because of its reputation as a bright projector (1100 ANSI lumens at D65 calibration). In my theater, I can control light 90% of the time and I will be projecting onto a large Stewart Firehawk 110" diagonal (8' wide) screen so light output from the projector is of some concern. The projector will be ceiling mounted and fed either a component or HDMI/DVI signal via a Denon 2910 DVD player or DirecTV HD satellite receiver. My dealer, who sells both InFocus and Sim2 is attempting to sway me towards the Domino 30H as he feels it is a better quality projector (ie better optics, less light leakage, quieter, better aesthetics) although he has some concerns about brightness or "punch" of the Domino 30H in my situation. I'm guessing that the low wattage bulb used in the Domino 30H is partially responsible for its long rated life of 6000 hrs but is this at the expense of brightness?

I am not able to do an A/B comparison between the 2 projectors in my theater room and I must make a decision between these 2 projectors this week. Does anyone with good knowledge of these projectors have any concerns about the 30H in my situation? Also, why are brightness ratings, either in ANSI lumens or foot-Lamberts, not provided for any Sim2 projectors? This seems to be a standard offering by every other manufacturer.

I am a new member to this site and if this issue has already been addressed, I apologize.

Thanks,
    Romazicon

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    the 7205 will be much brighter but will not offer the same level of contrast as a sim2 PJ
    (7205 calibrated CR was like 1400:1)
    The 7205 is an OK projector if you do have problems with ambient light but its image just dosent compete with the sim2 model you mention.

The sim if i remember rightly is 800 ANSI which is a fair bit less than than 1100 ansi but i would take the sim2(if you can control ambient light)

the sim2 offers less brightness for a more filmic image. I came from a brighter image but less accurate to the sim2. the sim2 colours are excellent.

3. romazicon

romazicon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the opinion. I was leaning in the direction of the Domino 30H. I believe this is the direction I will be taking for sure.

4. simon40

simon40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello Romazicon,

I saw the 7205 just after Xmas, and the 30H with Jeff at Horsham this week. I was very disappointed with the 7205's picture quality; it was not very clear - lots of (for want of a better word) 'noise'. Now it could have been (and I assume this was part of the problem) the way the 7205 was set-up by the dealer. Quite off-putting; the wife hated the projector.

Jeff's demonstration of the 30H was completly the opposite. The picture quality looked superb. No noise and very smooth. Extremely impressive and a credit to Jeff and his expertise. Many thanks to Jeff for the demonstration.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Hi Simon,

I think you will find this 'noise' common in many bright projectors, especialy HD2s which seem to be able to retrieve more detail (and noise). Sim2 have got it right IMHO. Jeff knows how to set up a projector and show it at it's best. It's a pity that most dealers can't do that.

I had similar misgivings with noise and my Optoma H77, but was able to tame it with a lens filter fortunatley. Brighter isn't always better unless you have ambient light IMHO.

Gary.

6. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +802
    I have had the Sim for a few weeks now, so have got over the (WOW) factor, althogh i am still in seventh heaven with the Sim, i have came across a few things that i should bring to light.

I have noticed with quite a lot DVD'S that noise is a problem, i have never ever noticed this before with my LCD Sony, if i run some DVD'S from my Arcam DV88 (which i regard as an exellent DVD player) with good quality component cables, i see a lot of noise in the picture, but when running the same DVD through P.C going from DVI to HDMI using ffdshow the noise is gone, it produces one of the best pictures i have ever seen. So i reckon it must be down to the source, i even think its just so good a projector it shows poorly encoded DVD'S up, this is just a personel point of view. :thumbsup:

As for brightness, i thought this projector could only be used in a dedicated Home Cinema room, i was wrong, the picture is great even with lights half on, in a light painted room in the middle of the afternoon (much better than viewing my Sony VPL11HT in the same conditions) my thoughts are. anyone contemplating buying this projector for brightness, then i think you will not have any problems at all in normal living conditions, if you have a dedicated room with total light control, then i think you will never change from a Sim again. :thumbsup:

The only problem that i can find with the Sim is that the fan is a bit noisy, i have it mounted about 2 metres, behind me, and can still here it. it dosent bother me at all, but might bother some people due to theyre viewing restrictions!! ;) :thumbsdow

7. romazicon

romazicon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate everyone's input, especially Sea Surfer's. I hate to make this large a purchase without knowing for sure that this is the best product for my situation. I feel more confident in this decision now.

This projector seems so good that any differences advertised between the Domino 30H and their Grand Cinema line (including their Evolution series) seems difficult to justify given the large price difference. I suppose if money were no object...

8. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 30H over the weekend and installed it with an 8 foot screen. I'm just amazed at the picture and i am still using an old (although good in its day) £100 DVD player. I've noticed noise on older DVDs, but newer ones (like Star Wars) are just amazing. I was thinking of upgrading my DVD player, but I might wait for HD DVD now. Even Sky is very good. Fan noise is a bit high, but i got used to it quite quickly. Brightness - I think you do need a dark room. On sat there was bright sunshine and even with the curtains pulled it was difficult to see the picture. In the summer it will be worse so I need to sort that out at some point.

I also bought mine through Jeff over the phone after lots of emailing. Ordered it on Thurs morning and it arrived on Friday! He has been great and I would recommend him.