Brightness and contrast problem with Sanyo Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by logey757, Dec 30, 2006.

1. logey757

logey757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have probably had my Sanyo Z2 720p projector for a little over a year now. I also have an Xbox 360, and play games about 3 hours a day. I noticed that everything was dark and hard to see, so I bought the Avia home theater guide and followed the instructions and tweaked everything. However, the problem was worse. To eliminate the black line (for the black level test pattern) I had to decrease my brightness to around -14. My contrast ended up being +16 (the point right before the line dissappears into white.)

I believe the problem is that the settings for black level and white level are different for movies and video games. Is this true? And does anyone know what I can do to make my settings correct? It is very hard to play games like Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas when everything is so dark... I can barely see anything sometimes.

Thanks for your help!

2. logey757

logey757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

3. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have very little experience on calibration, and you using AVIA probably have more than me :D but.....

Console/PC Games and DVD would have different calibration settings.

Games would benefit from more brightness and sharpness as there are much less artifacts in the source signal. Games don't use compression (well they do on textures but its not the same thing) like DVD's so boost sharpness and brightness right up.

Has it Memory settings so you can have an XBOX setting done by eye? If it has the "sports" preset try starting from that.

Also, can you change the display settings on the XBOX to help boost from that side too?

Anim

4. JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hi

I have the same projector, (although i'm am selling it shortly if my buyer comes up with the cash soon.)

For games Its easier to simply tweak the projector to suit your tastes and room conditions, the Z2 is quite bright and vivid for games. No need to go so low on brightness at all. Set it as one of your input settings on your remote for easy access.

For movies setup I prefer to use the DVE disks instead of Avia, I found its easier for projectors with it. Use the projector calibration sticky at the top of this forum to guide you to the relevant test patterns on the disks.

You say it takes -14 brightness to "make the black line dissappear". I assumes thats the 3rd line i.e PLUGE. The other 2 are supposed to be visible, albeit one just barely.

There is a fine balance in getting the best black and white levels for film. You undoubtedly have to swop back and forth, adjusting each until you get the best levels. And you will have to make trade offs. It takes time, especially when you start adjusting the gamma on the Z2 too. If your current setting is looking too dark then continue tweaking until you get the best trade off. The grey ramps on DVE are great.
    :)

5. JamesBaby

JamesBaby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Oh.....Forgot to mention. I assume your lamp has plenty of life it it still, otherwise it could be that too.

Check your hours by holding down the power off\on button on your remote for about 40 seconds, with the projector on.

6. logey757

logey757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help. So do you think I should just keep the brightness and contrast at 0 or what? I find that with both contrast and brightness at default (0) it is quite dark. How can I increase brightness without making the picture look washed out?

7. logey757

logey757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that perhaps maybe me lamp is started to die out. When I said 1 year I was guessing...not even sure how much I've had it.