Question Brightest bulb @ 6.5w...from a B22 fitting (happy to convert!)

goonergaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't quite sure how to put this...but essentially we have a downstairs toilet where (when fitted) the guy did something weird with the electrics and has the extractor and light connected together to the point that I can only have a 6.5w LED bulb...anything else and the extractor and/or light won't work.

It's a standard fitting (B22) and therefore easy to change to a different fitting, so my question is - other than paying through the nose for a leccy to inspect and re-wire to fix the issue, is there another solution I should consider? Could I change the B22 to something else or am I always going to be stuck with the same limitations in the end?

FWIW the current bulb is 470 lumens and a bit dim, looking around the best 'swap' I could find was 520 lumens.

As ever, thanks in advance for any input/advice :)

Personally I'd want to know why it's not working. Wiring a fan to a light is a relatively simple concept so I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it operates like you describe so I'd be concerned the wiring is properly fudgeed up

No, it sounds dangerous to me! The extractor should be wired into the light ring in a slightly different way (you need to be able to isolate the fan via a physical switch). From there the switched live output from the pull cord goes to the trigger for the fan. So, no loads on either the light fitting or fan affect each other, except of course they load the ring a little bit more.

My advice is to get it checked out. And where does the 6.5w (0.027 amps!) come from?

Personally I'd want to know why it's not working. Wiring a fan to a light is a relatively simple concept so I'm struggling to think of a scenario where it operates like you describe so I'd be concerned the wiring is properly fudgeed up

No, it sounds dangerous to me! The extractor should be wired into the light ring in a slightly different way (you need to be able to isolate the fan via a physical switch). From there the switched live output from the pull cord goes to the trigger for the fan. So, no loads on either the light fitting or fan affect each other, except of course they load the ring a little bit more.

My advice is to get it checked out. And where does the 6.5w (0.027 amps!) come from?

Thanks, I will get it checked out...couldn't figure how to remove the extractor - need to do some digging, but it sounds like he's sharing the cable (ie did a lazy job!).

@Chester The 6.5w is the LED bulb in the B22.

One theory I have is it may be wired in series with the light. Does the fan work if the bulb is removed?

In series? If that's so and they're registered with NICEIC, report them!

Good test though.

NICEIC pah bunch of stuffy gits, Elecsa is the registration authority for the hip and happening Spark about town

Joking aside it sounds like a bodge job. Being wired in series might explain why it's variable wether the fan or light stops working, as the voltage across the fan drops further it will reach a threshold where it will no longer work. Just a theory but it needs diagnosing and fixing I'd suggest.

If it was professionally done getting him back to sort it might be an option

NICEIC pah bunch of stuffy gits, Elecsa is the registration authority for the hip and happening Spark about town

Joking aside it sounds like a bodge job. Being wired in series might explain why it's variable wether the fan or light stops working, as the voltage across the fan drops further it will reach a threshold where it will no longer work. Just a theory but it needs diagnosing and fixing I'd suggest.

If it was professionally done getting him back to sort it might be an option

No, the fan doesn't work when the bulb is removed. No chance in getting the guy back, it was 13/14 years ago lol

Oh, oh! I see. Yeah, that needs rewiring!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom