Bright Yamaha RX-V2700 and Monitor Audio Speakers

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by P1_Chris, May 3, 2007.

1. P1_Chris

P1_Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just spent weeks deciding on what speaker cable to buy and it helped me to decide by reading other peoples thoughts on here - so:

On buying a new AV system with a Yamaha RX-V2700 and Monitor Audio speakers, I had it all wired up using Cable talk 'talk3' speaker cable from my old hi-fi system.
    When I first listened to the system - to say I was a bit disappointed with it was an understatement, I really did think I had made a mistake with pairing the Yamaha with the MA speakers - not a great deal of bass and it all sounded a bit 'cluttered' at higher frequencies (if you get what I mean).
    Anyway - after much deliberation I bit the bullet and spent (what I consider - a fair amount of money) replacing my Cable talk3 cables with some new Ecosse Cs4.45 bi-wire cable (I also switched to bi-amping the fronts using the Bi-amp option on the V2700) and I am very very pleased with the sound output now.
    I am not one for explaining 'how' it sounds better but it just does, so much so that I spent a good few hours listening to CD's last night which I havn't done for ages!!
    I was initially tempted to go for QED silver XT cable (or similar) because of the good "What hi-fi reviews" etc, until reading lots of posts about silver cable being 'bright' so after much searching went for the Ecosse.
    I also got some Cs2.3 for the centre speaker and now the surround sound is stunning on it, I havn't got a subwoofer but the bass to me from the RS8's is fantastic - makes the settee tremble!! - so all in all very pleased with the amp and speakers now.

For those interested the cable cost £159 for 2 x 5.5 mtrs bi-amp/wire Cs4.45 for the fronts and £40 for a single length 4.5 mtr Cs2.3 for the centre.
    To be honest this is the first time I have spent so much on cable but worth every penny so far!!
    If you email the company and ask for quotes first they seem to do it a bit cheaper than phoning - I dealt with Elliot the MD who was a great bloke - offered lots of advice about speaker cable length but balanced with cost and return etc.
    When I get a few more pounds saved up I might replace the rear cables with Cs2.3 as well but need 12 mtrs for one of those!!
    By the way - I have no connection with Ecosse cable company just like to mention when I find a firm that is good and they are British!!!

Cheers

Chris

2. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    All down to a bit of wire a! :thumbsup:

Have you played with your IC's yet:)

3. P1_Chris

P1_Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deaf cat,

I bought a pair of IXOS digital co-ax cables for the interconnects between CD / DVD and AMP.
    Can't really comment on DVD --> AMP as that is all I have used for surround.
    The CD I really felt the digital output sounded worse than the L/R Analogue o/p's from the CD player so I resorted back to those. Will have a play in the coming weeks as I am just using a cheap analogue lead (ie free one) so will order another and report back.
    Using a profigold component cable for video from DVD to AMP and that works well with good picture quality on 720p upscaling.

Chris

4. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    :smashin:

If I'm right in thinking RCA IC's and RCA Digi coax cables both operate at 75 Ohms.
    I know I've been meaning to try my one of my IC's as a digi cable for a while now. Better check thats right, then you could try your new pair of digi coax's as an analogue IC from the cdp, just to see what sound they give :)

5. P1_Chris

P1_Chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting suggestions there - I will give it a try and see what results I get.

Chris