Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Bright white causes picture & sound stutter on SKY digital?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by GOODMAP, Mar 10, 2005.

1. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I've been experiencing a strange problem with Sky digital for quite a while now whereby the reception and picture/sound is perfect 99% of the time but whenever the broadcast picture is mostly bright white (such as with the advert breaks on E4 and E4+1 or the Homebase advert running currently) it causes the picture and sound to break-up and stutter.

I mainly watch E4, Living, and Sky1 and have noticed this on all of these channels.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just my sky box that has a problem? I'm wondering if the bright white picture is just too much for the decoder to handle and causes signal clipping or something??? Maybe there is a signal amplitude setting that can be tweaked to correct this??? Or am I just talking crap?

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you've got a Panasonic box (TU-DSB30 or TU-DSB31) this box develops this fault when watching the signal using the RGB signal. Only way around it is to switch your Sky box to PAL output.

Hope this is relevant - if not then over to someone else....

Nathan

3. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan, I think you may have hit the nail on the head as I do have a Panasonic digibox (TU-DSB31 I think). I shall change the output to PAL and see if this helps.

If this is the fault, do you know if it is repairable or would buying a new/recon digibox be more cost effective?
    Many thanks.

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As far as repair goes it probably won't be that cost effective as you can pick up a second hand digibox off ebay for a reasonable price. If you don't mind working off the PAL signal then it will work fine with no problems.

Nathan

5. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

Does this problem also affects the DSB40?
    I'm looking to replace my aging Pace digibox (I was told this might improve picture quality).