Bright white causes picture & sound stutter on SKY digital?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by GOODMAP, Mar 10, 2005.

1. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I've been experiencing a strange problem with Sky digital for quite a while now whereby the reception and picture/sound is perfect 99% of the time but whenever the broadcast picture is mostly bright white (such as with the advert breaks on E4 and E4+1 or the Homebase advert running currently) it causes the picture and sound to break-up and stutter.

I mainly watch E4, Living, and Sky1 and have noticed this on all of these channels.

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just my sky box that has a problem? I'm wondering if the bright white picture is just too much for the decoder to handle and causes signal clipping or something??? Maybe there is a signal amplitude setting that can be tweaked to correct this??? Or am I just talking crap?

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you've got a Panasonic box (TU-DSB30 or TU-DSB31) this box develops this fault when watching the signal using the RGB signal. Only way around it is to switch your Sky box to PAL output.

Hope this is relevant - if not then over to someone else....

Nathan

3. GOODMAP

GOODMAP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan, I think you may have hit the nail on the head as I do have a Panasonic digibox (TU-DSB31 I think). I shall change the output to PAL and see if this helps.

If this is the fault, do you know if it is repairable or would buying a new/recon digibox be more cost effective?
    Many thanks.

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As far as repair goes it probably won't be that cost effective as you can pick up a second hand digibox off ebay for a reasonable price. If you don't mind working off the PAL signal then it will work fine with no problems.

Nathan

5. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi all. :)

Does this problem also affects the DSB40?
    I'm looking to replace my aging Pace digibox (I was told this might improve picture quality).