1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bright room suggestions

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by capdegat, May 17, 2004.

1. capdegat

capdegat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a large (8 x 5 m ) bright room .I recently aquired some proac future2 speakers which are absolutely brilliant but do sound overbright with present equipment. I was already thinking of upgrades to the amps so any suggestions please ? As I live in france ( hifi desert ) listening will be very difficult!

thanks
    les

sys : naim cd3.3 , linn lp12 , linn wakonda , meridian 557 power amp , pro-ac future 2 .

2. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Someone in another forum has a Lavardin amplifier with Proac Future speakers and is quite happy...

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or since you are in France, why not try a good french brand like Cairn (Ezo). The K series amps are meant to be very good indeed

ad

4. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi capdegat, room treatment might do the trick! I mean: curtains, a floor or ceiling makeover, some smartly placed tubes or other. Many of these can be done inconspicously. (sp?)

There are several topics about this subject on this forum and "tons" of material on the net. :)

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lavardin is also French... :smashin:

6. capdegat

capdegat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to french styles !etc we have tiled loors and no curtains So I do have a big problem.I might get away with a couple of tapestries on the walls but thats it. I've read up on lavardine and whilst it gets excellent reviews it is a valve amp with 40 w per channel . I have doubts as to whether this is enough as well as worrying about the valve sound as I have always gone towards a clinical sound and have read that valves aren't ( I built my first mullard 3-3 so long ago I can't remember anything about it ) I was interested to see if anybody could enlighten me on cooler sounding amps with perhaps laid back top end?

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you need to consider your room befor eyou try spending on amps..... did the old speakers sound ok in this room? With such an acoustically active room, it could be veryhard to find what you want....

ad

8. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You can let a professional company do your ceiling, spraying stuff on that looks like a regular grainy paint, but which absorbs middle/high frequencies just like a carpet would. It's the world upside down, but it works! ;)

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its not a valve amp, its transistor and utilises a circuit, which minimises the memory effect suffered by transistors, leading to a reduction in distortion. Apparently it sounds huge, dont let 40w put you off a Naim 140 power amp is rated about the same and certainly isnt short of power.

I dont think the amp change would help anyway, if you cant minimise the reflections, you could try bringing the speakers a lot closer to your listening area and move your listening position away from the back wall. A small rug and some wall hangings might help.

If thats not possible, then Im going to suggest something radical. The bright sound is caused by the higher frequencies bouncing off the hard surfaces which makes the system difficult to live with. Try disconnecting the tweeters and see what effect that has, theres still a lot of HF coming from the mid/bass units. You could supplement the speakers with a sub woofer, strangely, the more pronouced the bass is, the less you hear the HF (comparitively), you could run the system at much lower volumes and use the sub to 'fill out ' the sound.

The other alternative is to use active crossovers, which would allow you to scoop some of the troublesome frequencies out of the mix, or, if you can get hold of someone really on the ball, they can build a crossover for your present speakers that achieves the same effect.

How do I know this ? I have two very bright rooms, the first room was solved using a speaker with a very 'sucked out' upper mid range (really a mistake by the designer, but it worked in my favour).
    The second room used the nearfield design, with rugs and wall diffusers, this allowed the use of full range speakers which gave a much more detailed sound. Of course this means you dont get the ideal position from an asthetic point of view, but in my case that was acceptable.

10. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to know more about that product... :lease:

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ditto.... almost sounds like something you could coat the whole room with.....

ad

12. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I only know of a Dutch firm that does this, from a Dutch forum, but there should be several in the UK too. They usually do big halls and other public places, so you could ask there or search on the net with that in mind. It isn't cheap, but then it works wonders! :)

If anyone's interested I could post a link to the Dutch site, that includes lots of pictures.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    please do....

ad

14. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok..... i want one! :D That is a seriously good site for a personal thing, it really goes into all the detail I wanted to read!

ad