1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bright line at top of 2.35:1 aspect films

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by reckless, Sep 17, 2004.

1. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My mate's pio 434 when showing a 2.35 film has, slightly below the first line of the screen image below the black bar, a line that appears brighter than the image line above and below.

Anyone else notice this or is is possible that it's faulty? He's tried knocking off all the picture enhancements etc in case they're introducing the fault.

Best way I can describe is to say that the first line of an image is the correct intensity, the second line is brighter, the third and all remaining images are then correctly lit. The line is no lighter than the others on normal images etc so it's not a fault in the entire line of pixels. I had a similar problem when I ran an s-vid pic to my sony w/s set when it looked like someone had placed a white line between the black border and the image. Never happened on rgb though.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have noticed on a few films this with my PW6, its at both top and bottom between as you say the black pannels and the main picture, but not on all films. I think the one which i have noticed this on were copied to DVD-R's though so maybe something in the copying process which is why i havent been to bothered.
    Quattro

3. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had a pw6 myself but it didn't do that. However, I wasn't playing anything other than originals so as you say, it might have had something to do with the copy rather than the screen. Just seems a bit odd to me.

I assumed that it would be one of the "enhancements" that the pio is doing to the image and that by messing with the settings to "off" would cure the issue and then, by a process of elimination, work out what was causing the issue.

I'll get him to check the lead just in case although I would have thought that if it was that then it would show up even when a normal aspect ratio film was displayed.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,982
    I suspect that this is an artefact of the (excessive) edge-enhancement that's applied to far too many DVDs when they are mastered.

Try and see if

a) the effect is more marked on films where other objects with contrast (eg a silhouette against a bright sky etc) have a thin halo around them

b) the effect is much less maked on Star Wars Ep2 (which is one title I know to have very litte EE).

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I doubt its EE. The EE gets added when the film is telecined and only gets applied to the what will be the active picture area. Having seen this before I reckon its light reflecting off the telecine gate and resolving as a brightenng of the first one or two lines immediately after the gate. Having seen this on video rushes of films its the only conclusion I can come to.

My theory for it only being on some dvds and not others is down to differing telecine tolerances at differing mastering houses.

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If it was on the dvd though, wouldn't it have shown up on my pw6? I don't still have it but that particular dvd I saw on it and I never had any issue like that with it.

I'll get him to try some other dvds to see if it's better or worse on some than others.

Cheers for the info and thoughts

7. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Tried a few more dvds now. It appears on all that I've tried when there is a light scene next to the black border. It does not appear when black is against the border.

I've tried playing with the picture settings and the only one that made it better was lowering the sharpness on the screen. When it got to -5 it was difficult to see although I still felt it was there. As you will appreciate though, -5 is not an ideal sharpness setting for the screen. Setting the sharpness positive made the line appear brighter.

Anyone else with a 434 notice this?