1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brief q&a for a novice pls!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MNH, Jan 4, 2005.

1. MNH

MNH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hope someone can help me here, i'm thinking of buying an mp3 player and want to know how it would connect to my amp to play music off it directly? (i.e. what lead and what type of connection - do i need anything special on my amp?)

and are all players the same or are there different connections?

tks in advance

2. ste_d73

ste_d73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to your Q...Not sure...However I've just found out that rather than physically connect the MP3 to your stereo you can wirelessly send the music from your computer hard drive to your stereo.
    Think the apple version is called "airport" or something.
    Sorry if this is a not exactly what you were after, but might be worth a look?

3. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Starting at the cheapest - at the very least you can connect to the earphone mini stereo jack socket and go direct to your amp line in socket(s) with an adaptor lead (depending on your amp). This way though, the volume depends both on what volume the player is set at as well as the amp's volume.

If the player also has a line out connector you could use that. And that connector depends on the player, as proprietary connectors tend to be used. The exception (I think) is the iPod's base stand, which has line/out on a mini stereo jack, and has the advantage that the iPod is upright.

I've also tried an iTrip (a mini wireless transmitter - meant for use in-car, but usable also with a normal radio tuner) on my iPod, which means there are no wires, so you can also control the sound you hear from your lap. Other varieties of mini transmitter exist if you haven't an iPod. However, quality is restricted to inherent FM broadcast limits, and such transmitters are illegal to use in the UK - I used one when I was abroad of course....

You could do the whole thing wirelessly and legally from your computer. Apple's Airport Express is operated remotely via a computer using the iTunes (Windows or Mac). However the computer needs a wireless card too, and you have to be at the keyboard to control it. Outputs from the Airport Express are mini stereo jack and optical.

Another legal wireless method is the Squeezebox type of server (there's a few alternatives) which again is served music from a computer (Windows or Mac), but is controlled from a remote handset pointed at the Squeezebox. Again, outputs are mini stereo and optical. This is the best system I've used, although quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

4. ipodstudio

ipodstudio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That will depend on which player you buy as they don't all have the same connections.
    With the ipod you can use an RCA to mini cable from the line-out on the dock. This will give you the best results from an ipod.

With the Rio Karma dock you have RCA outs so you can actually use standard ICs.

Yesterday I connected my ipod mini hp-out to my headphone amp via Cardas Neutral Ref ICs and a 3.5mm Mini-Plug Y-Adaptor! The last method is not recommended but was fun to try. :D

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    In most cases this is all you'll need.
    http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/incon/qunex_j2p.html
    Depending on the player, it may be very good or really sh!te.

6. MNH

MNH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tks for replies everyone

7. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    MNH,

I have a JVC one of these available on this for sale thread if interested (I hope it's OK to mention this here). I always liked the quality compared to the throw away ones it's just that I never use it.