1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bridging my Krell

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dmurfet, Apr 18, 2005.

1. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I go active, I may keep my Krell and demote SFs to the rear. With only two channels being used, I could do two things - add two more for a full 7.1 - but more likely bridge two more channels to give a whopping (and balanced) 375 wpc into my SFs. :eek:

How do I do this?

David

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The manual I've just read doesn't mention anything about bridging, so one would assume it's not a user option. An alternative, however, would be to bi-amp the SF's, though that assumes they have more than one set of binding posts.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd give Krell an email,but as far as I know,this isn't an option.

Biamping will give you most of the possible advantages,but with none of the problems.

4. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly the SFs only have one set of binding posts......in fact most SFs only have one set....I was surprised that even the amati homage - a 12k speaker - has only one set!

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Interestingly,a number of manufacturers catering to the higher end markets have either not gone down the biwiring route,or moved away from it,and amongst the true high end Wilson Audio are notable for this,although someof their designs do have separate LF and HF crossovers.

6. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bi-wiring of speakers is not without controversy. It’s right up there with interconnect cabling and speaker wires in general.

7. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sent an enquiry to Krell. Assuming I can't bridge, I don't think 7.1 is on the cards either since SWMBO won't buy it.........drat and double drat.......

8. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Bi-amping is different to bi-wiring.

And I am reading with interest (and shaking my head in disbelief) that you would need/require 375W of power. :eek:

9. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Two issues here.

Firstly - more power equals more grip on the speaker - it asks the loudspeaker to change direction and doesn't take no for an answer.

Secondly - yes it will go louder *but with control*. The SFs are rated up to 300 watts so yes I could blow them with it fully cranked, but I suspect I'd never get there. I did get the Yamaha to clip when I was using it a power amplifier, but suspect since it was driving 4 speakers at the time, it wasn't really putting out 4*100W.

10. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I got an official reply from Krell.

Baically I can't do it with a Showcase. It is only possible with two channels phyisically next to each other on the Home Theatre Standard product (HTS / HTS2)

Bahh!

:mad:

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

Of course the two are different,but the benefits can often be quite similar,in terms of detail and control,if not power and headroom.

As to the power issues,as you know,given a speaker of a predetermined sensitivity,the difference in SPL at 200W as opposed to 100W input is only 3dB,and so on......with some insensitive,or difficult speakers(in terms of reactivity or impedance),having a large power reserve can be very important.
    My own experience of that when trying the Linn Keltiks I previously owned with what was billed as 400W worth of Linn amps,Vs 300W worth of Krells was quite interesting....the dynamic range of the Krells was vastly superior,despite having on paper,a lower rated power output,and the same point was made again when buying my current B&W 805's which had a TAG 100x5 amp struggling,whereas the similarly rated Krells,with admittedly much greater reserve had no problems.

In response to dmurfet's points in the post above.....more power doesnt always equal more grip on the speaker,as a number of very powerful but utterly awful amps from Japan and the US in the 80's proved beyond doubt,but given a well designed amp with a very good power supply,the point is true.
    Krells in general have very stiff power supplies which dont drop voltage under load,and more obviously so as the load impedance decreases(this is particularly true of the older KMA/KSA series amps,which would run 1 ohm loads happily).

I think that with most of the Krell amps,and certainly the KSA/KMA/FPB series,bridging just isn't a necessity.

12. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Agree. The power supply of the amp is very important. And Krell is one of the best.

I didn’t mean to get dmurfet into a defensive position to justify his reasoning or rational. I was just thinking that 375W for what essentially is the rear speakers seemed a lot of “serious” power and control.

If you are in the situation to do it, then my head is shaking in awe (and jealousy) rather than anything else.

13. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My system has always been dubious in the surround areas, since the processor decides at an arbitary level (usually) whether to pass any informatyion at all to the rears. So sometuimes there is sound at a normal level - usually special effects or music - but if I play a TV programme at a certain level the rear channel drops in and out a lot. I'm hoping this should be much improved with the 861.

As it stands, you're right and I'm overkilling the rears as it is, but watch this space....muchly upgrades planned still!

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A really good processor,such as the Meridian should help the rear channel steering etc a lot....it was one of the things I noticed most about my Tag when I bought it,just how much better the imaging and rear channels were....should compliment your Krell very nicely.