Bridge or DSLR?

somtam

Standard Member
Hello.
Can you please offer me some advice please?
Im looking for a new camera but not sure what to go for. My budget is up to £600
I want a camera which has continuous shoot so that I can select the good photos and delete the rest when my son does his sports. Ive been recommended 4k but not sure if this is good advice.
I would like something with a half decent zoom but from what I have seen from bridge cameras on you tube, in the reviews the zoom appears blurred momentarily when zooming in video mode.

Im leaning towards the Canon EOS 750D, Nikon Coolpix P900 or the Nikon D5300

Canon EOS 750D
Buy Canon EOS 750D Digital SLR with 18-55mm IS STM Lens, HD 1080p, 24.2MP, Wi-Fi, NFC, 3.0" Vari Angle LCD Screen | John Lewis

Nikon Coolpix P900
Buy Nikon COOLPIX P900 Bridge Camera, 16MP, HD 1080p, 83x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC, 3" Vari-Angle LCD Screen | John Lewis or

Nikon D5300
https://www.johnlewis.com/nikon-d53...ns-hd-1080p-24-2mp-wi-fi-3-2-screen/p1189562I
don't know what to look for as Im a total beginner but wish to learn over time.
Thank you so much

shotokan101

Banned

somtam

Standard Member
Thank you for your reply. After searching the net Im down to a shortlist of two cameras. The Canon 750D or the Canon 1300D.
I know that theres quite a price difference but Im wondering if the £200 difference is worth it as as far as I can see the differences between the two seem to be the multi angle screen and the Lenz unless Im missing something???Thank you

stearman65

I changed to bridge cameras in 2011 from DSLR's with the Panasonic FZ150, then 2 years ago the Panasonic FZ 1000. I don't have any experience with either of the cameras on your short list but a good pointer is to check the customer reviews on Amazon.

stearman65

Forgot to mention, my wife also changed from a Nikon D40 to a Fuji SL1000. Both of us have more useable images per shoot than we ever did with DSLR's.

Faldrax

Since you are interested in high frame rates, you might also want to consider something like the Sony A6000

Compare the Canon EOS 750D vs the Sony Alpha A6000

Sony Alpha A6000 vs Canon EOS 750D

At the 'entry level' there are two main downsides to opting for the Sony.
1) Smaller range of lenses
Which is only really an issue if you decide to build up an extensive range of lenses, at which point you are probably looking at changing camera anyway.
2) Shorter battery life
The batteries are small and light - you can get a pair of 3rd party batteries & charger from Amazon for < £25, which gives you plenty of battery for a days shooting.

newbie1

Distinguished Member
@sontam can you let us know what sport you want to capture? Something slow moving outside should not be a problem within budget. On the other hand side fast moving indoors with poor light is very challenging regardless of budget.

shotokan101

Banned
BTW User has been online today and still not replied...

snerkler

Distinguished Member
For sports it'd have to be a DSLR al day long for me. Yes you can get sports shots with a bridge camera but why make life more awkward than it has to be. Any reason you're leaning towards Canon over Nikon, Nikon has better sensors? I'd still recommend trying before you buy though to see which you like the feel of best.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom