Bridge of Spies (27 November 2015)

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Steven Spielberg is developing to direct and will team up again Tom Hanks who is attached to playJames Donovan, a prominent American attorney enlisted by the CIA during the Cold War to slip behind the Iron Curtain and negotiate the release of Gary Powers, a pilot captured when his U-2 spy plane was shot down over Russia.

Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Joel and Ethan Coen (Fargo, The Hudsucker Proxy, The Big Lebowski) to write a new draft, previously by Matt Charman

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
image.jpg

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
As much I really to look forward to and enjoy SS's output, that synopsis didn't exactly tingle my spine ! I do wish he'd do more action/adventure and sci-fi/fantasy stuff these days !

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
- The film has a new title - Bridge of Spies (previously working title 'St. James Place')

- John Williams confirmed to score

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
As much I really to look forward to and enjoy SS's output, that synopsis didn't exactly tingle my spine ! I do wish he'd do more action/adventure and sci-fi/fantasy stuff these days !

Yeah, I haven't seen any of his movies since Indy 4, and the last time I saw one that I thought was great was War of the Worlds ten years ago!

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
- The film has a new title - Bridge of Spies

- John Williams confirmed to score

Update;

For the first time in almost 30 years John Williams will not score a film for Steven Spielberg, due to a recent health issue, which has now been corrected.

Thomas Newman ("Wall-E," "Skyfall," "The Good German") will now score Bridge of Spies (2015).

John Williams is providing the score for Steven Spielberg's upcoming The B.F.G film (2016)

jdevil

Distinguished Member
Found this extremely boring and predictable, you could literally spell out every scene before the characters open their mouth. Film felt way too long and there was no emotional attachment with any of the characters.

2/5 - one of the worst Spielberg film IMO.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Found this extremely boring and predictable, you could literally spell out every scene before the characters open their mouth. Film felt way too long and there was no emotional attachment with any of the characters.

2/5 - one of the worst Spielberg film IMO.
Seeing it on Monday. I have my suspicions my opinion may mirror yours.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Well, I bloody enjoyed it. Kept me captivated all the way through. There is a silkiness to Tom Hank's everyday man on screen persona that always fill me with such warm re-assurances. Combined with Spielberg's masterful craftsmanship for characterisation and relationships, this film simply did it for me. I hadnt a clue what the film was about going in (again, not seen any trailers) so once again, I probably benefited more than most others in enjoying the film.

The storyline was perhaps a tad predictable in the last act and there is no escaping Spielberg's tendancy for a sprinkling a little mawkishness here and there but at least he's reigned that in compared to say, War Horse which was just way too much.

But this film entertained me with wonderfully sharp dialogue, excellent cinematography and period settings, and top performances by Hanks and the actor who plays the accused Russian spy.

8/10

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
Yep I enjoyed to, it was a bit like sitting in a comfy chair with your fav slippers on for 2 hours. Certainly not anyone involved's best work, but throughly entertaining never the less.
8/10

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Well, I bloody enjoyed it. Kept me captivated all the way through. There is a silkiness to Tom Hank's everyday man on screen persona that always fill me with such warm re-assurances. Combined with Spielberg's masterful craftsmanship for characterisation and relationships, this film simply did it for me. I hadnt a clue what the film was about going in (again, not seen any trailers) so once again, I probably benefited more than most others in enjoying the film.

The storyline was perhaps a tad predictable in the last act and there is no escaping Spielberg's tendancy for a sprinkling a little mawkishness here and there but at least he's reigned that in compared to say, War Horse which was just way too much.

But this film entertained me with wonderfully sharp dialogue, excellent cinematography and period settings, and top performances by Hanks and the actor who plays the accused Russian spy.

8/10

Great, interesting subject matter, some nice humour from the russian spy. helps when good writers are on a project , like with this fllm with Joel and Ethan Coen

lawyer James B Dnovan turned out to be a Shindler type character by helping so many people in history (Cuba)

8/10

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio