• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bricked my iphone?

nstokes

i upgraded to ios 4 i didnt like it so tryed going back down to 3.1.3 and pressed **** and then restore, choose the 3.1.3 fw it came up with an error afterwards so tryed agaian then the phone just went to a blank screen and stayed there for ages, so i unplugged the phone from usb and had to alt+ctl+del itunes and now the phone comes up with the itunes and usb cable icon and itunes wont see the phone. the pc makes the noise to say plugged in and unpluuged. i have tryed the dfu thing and just comes to this screen no matter what i do itunes will not see the phone. What can i do to fix this? is it now 100% dead? is it bricked?

nstokes

its out of warrenty i got it as a recon from o2 last april, is it worth trying on another machine?

Last edited:

nstokes

jerryq7777

You can't brick an iPhone. Dfu mode will work, you will be timing it wrong.

I think you will find you can brick it.The phone goes into a reboot loop and nothing works to restore it.

nstokes

i keep trying dfu and thae screen ive discribes is all im getting, what should i get for dfu mode? whats the timings? jerryq its not in a rebooting loop (thank god). Normally i no how to do all sorts with the phone but this is the only thing i cant do with it at mo (getting it to work) i realy hope i havent bricked it

jerryq7777

Apart from the fixes that are all over the web. You can't brick an iPhone, there is always a way out.

irecovery or ibricker i tried both and they still didnt fix my phone.

nstokes

i still cnat get it working, im holding the buttons in, it comes up with the apple logo, then goes to itines and usb cable icon and then the screen flases white and goes blank (im guessing it tured off) i then let go the power/wake button and holding in the home button, still a blank screen and no pop up on itunes

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Try reinstalling iTunes, restarting the PC and then plugging it in.

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Where are you sticking the usb cable into?

If its the front try using the back usb ports into the computer...or vice versa

Could be dodgy or messed up ports

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
i still cnat get it working, im holding the buttons in, it comes up with the apple logo, then goes to itines and usb cable icon and then the screen flases white and goes blank (im guessing it tured off) i then let go the power/wake button and holding in the home button, still a blank screen and no pop up on itunes

Ok

Is your phone going on and you can use it?
What messages are you getting on the screen?
Is it iTunes that isn't working or the phone?

Have you updated iTunes?
Try a different usb port
Try reinstalling iTunes

I had problems like this, how many people use the computer to connect to iTunes?
It doesn't seem like the phone is bricked, it's like the computer isn't recognizing the phone is connected even though you hear the noise

Last edited:

scudder

or try another PC altogether, often the PC gets minced with too many attempts. If using a different USB doesn't work, try using a fresh PC if you have access to one. DFU and restore or RecBoot should sort your brick out.

nstokes

below are the answres to your questions

Is your phone going on and you can use it? - Going on and off but cant use it
What messages are you getting on the screen? - No messgaes just the itunes and usb cable icon on phone screen
Is it iTunes that isn't working or the phone? - Could be both
Have you updated iTunes? - Yes im using 9.2
Try a different usb port - Tryed front and back
Try reinstalling iTunes - I have done but i will try again just in case
I had problems like this, how many people use the computer to connect to iTunes? - None just me
It doesn't seem like the phone is bricked, it's like the computer isn't recognizing the phone is connected even though you hear the noise - I will try another compute

nstokes

or try another PC altogether, often the PC gets minced with too many attempts. If using a different USB doesn't work, try using a fresh PC if you have access to one. DFU and restore or RecBoot should sort your brick out.

going to try another computer later on

Saxo Appeal

Distinguished Member
Are you all up to date with your Anti virus etc? Could be a corrupt file that isn't allowing your iTunes to run correctly even though your reinstalling

Fizzy12

Standard Member
Have you tried opening itunes with phone unplugged, holding down the home button whist connecting to the computer and holding till a message comes up about restoring?
This worked with my phone, but wouldn't work on my computer, had to do it on my friends, which unlocked it then just had to do a restore on mine.
HTH

akki007

Have you tried opening itunes with phone unplugged, holding down the home button whist connecting to the computer and holding till a message comes up about restoring?
This worked with my phone, but wouldn't work on my computer, had to do it on my friends, which unlocked it then just had to do a restore on mine.
HTH

Yeah, I think this should do it too.

nstokes

HTH

i didnt try this but i have just tryed it and same thing. tryed doing it on 22 diffrent us ports (1 front and 1 back) my av is up to date. it it helps it takes about 5-6 secs from the apple logo to get to the itunes and cable icon. that seems quick?

Fizzy12

Standard Member
i didnt try this but i have just tryed it and same thing. tryed doing it on 22 diffrent us ports (1 front and 1 back) my av is up to date. it it helps it takes about 5-6 secs from the apple logo to get to the itunes and cable icon. that seems quick?

Like I said it won't work on my PC for some reason no matter which usb port I use but did work on my friends so try it on a different computer :)

nstokes

going to the old mans later so i will try it then and will report my findings as they say. Thanks for the help guys and like i say oill post what happened later on (after the england game of course ;))

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom