Brian Matthews

Garrett

Reaction score
Brian Matthews radio DJ has sadly died age 88.
Only last week the BBC mistakenly reported his death.

Late last year he had a short spell in hospital and was replaced at the time by Tim Rice on The Sound of the Sixties, although Brian said he was fit for work and last month the job was given to Tony Blackburn. Brian did get to do one final show before switch over and instead of his usual sign out 'This is your old mate Brian Matthews saying 'that's your lot for this week, see you next week', changed it to 'That record by Billy Fury brings me to the end of my reign as presenter of Sound of the Sixties and must say I enjoyed every minute of it of my 27 years in this chair, and saddened to leave but will be back on on Radio 2 in the near future with something new, so keep your eyes out for information' Then 'This is your old mate Brian Matthews saying that's your lot for this week, see you soon'.
Sadly it was not to be. And like Brian I had enjoyed every minute of his reign, and end of an era for me, and my Saturday mornings will never be the same.

I'm quite upset at this news I been listening to the show for about 30 years and I believe Brian joined it in 1990 and have enjoyed it every week, and started the weekend of right, which will never be the same again for me.

BBC radio presenter Brian Matthew confirmed to have died aged 88

My thoughts and best wishes to his family, friends and fans of SOTS.

R.I.P. Brian Born 17 September 1928: Died 8 April 2017

Brian.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom