Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Brian Eno..........

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Nello, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Until now I only knew he used to be in Roxy Music and I therefore assumed I wouldn't like it. But having heard one song 'here come the warm jets', I think I was wrong, as it is brilliant.

Anyone recommend some albums....I'll probably get 'Here Come The Warm Jets' but dunno about any others. What I DON'T want is anything that sounds too much like Bryan Ferry (if that's possible). Does Eno do lots of instrumental stuff? Or only instrumental stuff? Muchos advice needed....

Cheers

2. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've not heard (to my shame) the 'Here Come The Warm Jets' album but I do have 'Another Green World' which is often recommended as the perfect introduction to the ambient side of Eno. 15 or so tracks, each a short soundscape -- I don't think any of the tracks are longer than about 4 minutes (seems unusual given the length of today's ambient workouts) which does leave you wishing some of them were longer but does give a varied listening experience.

Also worth checking out is 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts', his album with Talking Heads' David Byrne. Considered ground breaking for the time for its extensive use of sampling, electronica, african percussion etc. It often sounds like everything's been thrown into the melting pot but it works to great effect.

'Here Come The Warm Jets' is supposedly a reference to, er, urination. :)

Let us know what you decide to pick up.

3. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ...and don't forget to check out his producer credits, if you're not familiar with them. That's a separate thread in itself.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Another Green World and Music for Airports both are excellent albums, the first one is the best.

Eno is known best for being a non-musician, he has collaborated on loads of albums most notable being U2s Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree also on Bowie, Talking Heads, Devo and John Cale.

His music is all about soundscapes, nothing like Bryan Ferry, who is, after all, only a moderate Nightclub singer (sorry Brian).

5. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ..but that's not to dismiss the first 2 (or 3) Roxy Music albums (before Ferry discovered supermodels) which have Eno's influence stamped all over them (in 4 ft platforms, no doubt)

6. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice chaps.
    I've downloaded a couple of tracks with John Cale, which I quite liked. I'll defo track down the album with David Byrne.
    Of the tracks I've heard so far nothing beats 'here come the warm jets', but I'm looking forward to finding some other crackers.

Funny, I'd assumed 'Warm Jet' to be similar to 'Pearl Jam', but obviously I picked the wrong liquid :D

7. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh no! The same thing happened to me about 10 years ago! Before you know it you'll be buying King Crimson, Captain Beefheart, Hawkwind, Frank Zappa...and none of your mates will want to listen to your albums!

Perhaps I need new mates...

8. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the warning, I'll keep my Eno CD's hidden away in a secret compartment and only listen to them on headphones!

9. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Check out "Discrete Music" for the ambient stuff and try "Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy" and "Before And After Science" for more 'conventional' stuff (by Eno's standards at any rate!)

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I know what you mean..............Fast and bolbous, a squid in a ............:D

11. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    "For your Pleasure" brilliant, think I might have to add that to the recommended list. Can you remember when Roxy Music first appeared......totally different to anything that had gone before.

12. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Steady on -- I'm not that old.

13. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,743
    Eno's a genius.
    See the trailers for 28 Days that had that bit of music lifted from the end of Traffic with Michael Douglas at the rehab centre meeting thing? Eno did that piece on his album of soundscapes for the Apollo space missions - it's called "ascent".
    Most of his stuffs available dirt cheap these days

14. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw something in NME about Roxy Music doing a gig in town soon (Laaandan town), with a support act I was surprised about (tho' I can't remember who it was). Oh, it's Hyde Park July 16th 2003. Just in case anyone is interested....

15. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'll second that. The Apollo soundtrack CD is fantastic, as is the film it was written for, "For All Mankind". Used all over the place - Trainspotting springs to mind.

Oh - and the stuff he did with Harold Budd is pretty cool too.

Cheers, Carl.

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    I remember Roxy Music in the begining which is why I can't listen to any of the later albums. For Yor Pleasure is a classic. They re-released the Roxy Music catalogue a little while ago - remastered on CD and they come in a cardboard "LP style" sleeve without the crappy jewel casing which always breaks in the post !

17. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talking Heads (my favourite band) would not be what they are today (ok they split up many years ago) if it hadn't been for Eno. You can here several of their songs before and after Eno arrived and what an amazing difference he made. Infact Brian Eno is referenced as the 5th member of talking heads because he did so much for the band.