Brexiteers wanted!

LivB

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hiya, I’m Liv from Warrington and I’m currently doing some research for my bachelor’s thesis on why people voted for Brexit and would love to interview anyone who was willing to talk a bit about yourself, why you voted for Brexit, and why it was important to you. I’m looking at it in terms of how Big Data from Facebook has been used to influence democracy and democratic processes but more specifically I want to look at why targeted ads in the Brexit referendum were so effective. I want to see why maybe you wanted to Take Back Control, how you might have previously felt unheard, and how Brexit may have also been chance for you to have a voice. Because of this, it would be great if anyone interested was also using Facebook at the time. I’m hoping for an informal chat, purely for my own research, and would love for anyone interested to get in touch by replying to this thread.

Can I say, I voted for Brexit but regretted it even before polling day (postal voter).

Can I say, I voted for Brexit but regretted it even before polling day (postal voter).
Kudos for admitting regret at how you voted👍

I am a Brexiteer and I am happy to answer your questions, send me the question form and I will fill it in for you and if you are really lucky I will keep out all the naughty words :)

EDIT: I do have FB but use it very sporadically now.

I am a Brexiteer and I am happy to answer your questions, send me the question form and I will fill it in for you and if you are really lucky I will keep out all the naughty words :)
Found your crayons then😉

If you had asked me a year before the referendum I would have told you i wanted to leave the EU, even though i never thought it would actually happen. I even voted for UKIP in the council elections. I enjoyed watching Farage giving it to the EU in the European parliament.

Then the ref happened so i actually looked into what the EU is and does and realised it would be a economic disaster to leave, and I voted to remain with a somewhat heavy heart. Even then I still knew nothing about what the EU really did for us, a position i suspect many brexiteers are still in.

I was completely shocked when leave actually won and i never in a million years thought we would end up with the rock hard brexit we did. I assumed there would be some sort of fudge and we would stay in the CU/SM at least.

Now i know a great deal about how the EU works and what it does. I hate brexit with every fibre of my being. I feel so sad about what it has done to my country and how its made my life and the future lives of my children so much worse. It is by far the worst thing to happen to the UK in my lifetime.

Now i know a great deal about how the EU works and what it does. I hate brexit with every fibre of my being. I feel so sad about what it has done to my country and how its made my life and the future lives of my children so much worse. It is by far the worst thing to happen to the UK in my lifetime.
You must have had a pretty harsh four months to feel that way already.

I agree with VG, It’s been a personal disaster for me and I cant see a single positive for the country either. I keep asking brexiteers how they have personally benefitted and I’ve yet to find a single person who can give a single example.

I agree with VG, It’s been a personal disaster for me and I cant see a single positive for the country either. I keep asking brexiteers how they have personally benefitted and I’ve yet to find a single person who can give a single example.
Seriously? In four months during a lockdown pandemic and you are panicking about Brexit? Entertain yourself and follow Liz Truss.

The decline started way back in 2016. That referendum broke the UK.

The catastrophe of the last 4 months has mainly been for UK businesses. A lot of other damage was already done. There is plenty more to come though.

The decline started way back in 2016. That referendum broke the UK.

The catastrophe of the last 4 months has mainly been for UK businesses. A lot of other damage was already done. There is plenty more to come though.
I hope your carers are taking away the razor blades and pills from you.

I think his is old enough to take a wee dig but @VastGirth you have my apologies if my last remark hurt you in any way, shape or form.

No worries. I can take a joke, albeit a bad one :). Be a little careful though as there are some fragile individuals out there and advising suicide is never the best idea.

Of course a valid counter argument of why the last 5 years haven't been absolutely awful and the future isn't bleak would be nice too. ;)

Seriously? In four months during a lockdown pandemic and you are panicking about Brexit? Entertain yourself and follow Liz Truss.
Seriously, very seriously. My mother who was a Spanish resident died just after the end of the transition period and as third country nationals we were not allowed the same freedom as EU residents to enter Spain on compassionate grounds to be with her when she died nor attend her funeral. I couldn’t enter to care for her myself so had to remotely hire private carers. It is now costing us a fortune in legal fees having to give power of attorney to allow someone else to sort out her estate until we can travel there. We can’t bring any of her personal property back to the uk without paying huge customs duties on it (items that started off in the UK anyway!). I have inherited a property I can longer retire to as I don’t meet the criteria for a visa to be resident in Spain. It has royally screwed up my plans for the future as well as depriving me of the opportunity to say goodbye to my mother, whose ashes now sit in a Spanish funeral home. And there are thousands like me! Had we still been in the EU none of things would have happened, even with COVID.

No worries. I can take a joke, albeit a bad one :). Be a little careful though as there are some fragile individuals out there and advising suicide is never the best idea.

Of course a valid counter argument of why the last 5 years haven't been absolutely awful and the future isn't bleak would be nice too. ;)
The last 5 years have been awful, it is not dignified for a country to sell itself against a vote to try and get a deal.

(I didn't advocate the other thing by the way, been there before).

Seriously, very seriously. My mother who was a Spanish resident died just after the end of the transition period and as third country nationals we were not allowed the same freedom as EU residents to enter Spain on compassionate grounds to be with her when she died nor attend her funeral. I couldn’t enter to care for her myself so had to remotely hire private carers. It is now costing us a fortune in legal fees having to give power of attorney to allow someone else to sort out her estate until we can travel there. We can’t bring any of her personal property back to the uk without paying huge customs duties on it (items that started off in the UK anyway!). I have inherited a property I can longer retire to as I don’t meet the criteria for a visa to be resident in Spain. It has royally screwed up my plans for the future as well as depriving me of the opportunity to say goodbye to my mother, whose ashes now sit in a Spanish funeral home. And there are thousands like me! Had we still been in the EU none of things would have happened, even with COVID.
I am sincerely sorry to hear of your mothers departure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom