• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Brexit: The Week Ahead!

What Brexit settlement(s) would you be content with?

• The current deal (May's deal)

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Revoking Article 50

Votes: 30 34.9%
  • Holding a second referendum (Specify options)

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • The current deal (May's deal) with continued membership of the Customs Union

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • The current deal (May's deal) with continued membership of the Customs Union & the Single Market

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • A Free Trade Agreement (including EFTA membership)

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • No-deal Brexit

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Managed no-deal (i.e. a delay before a new exit 'no deal' date)

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • A long delay for a national consultation/debate

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Following last week's votes in Westminster, the current trajectory for Brexit is either to accept May's deal or a very long delay whilst the Government/Parliament/Country tries to figure out a new strategy.

Dislike of May's deal has been expressed in many areas and, my personal view, is it is a bad deal for the country that leaves us weaker. However, the country also voted for Brexit and that vote must, to an extent, be honoured. May's deal offers us a chance to be the least damaged.

Parliament will vote again on May's deal next week and, if it doesn't pass, will probably come back again (and again?). The Government is currently wooing the DUP and ERG to get them onboard. In the meantime, which path would you choose?

Sonic67

Banned
You missed out, "EU vetoes any delay."

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
You missed out, "EU vetoes any delay."
That is not within the power of the UK parliament and won’t even be an issue until AFTER the decision on type of Brexit has been made. Nor is it likely to happen IMHO.

Sonic67

Banned
That is not within the power of the UK parliament. Nor is it likely to happen.
You know the will of 27 countries? Wow.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
You know the will of 27 countries? Wow.
I know it won’t be decided until after the decision aped in this thread is made. The EU will consider the extension once we have articulated what type of delay we want.

Sonic67

Banned
I know it won’t be decided until after the decision aped in this thread is made. The EU will consider the extension once we have articulated what type of delay we want.
What if May's deal is rejected again (very likely) and it isn't a long delay to Brexit? I can't see that choice? In fact what is meant by "long delay?" Weeks? Months? Years?

Isn't this being couched as you don't like the results of your own polls?

Whilst this sub-forum is leave heavy, for obvious reasons,

Yep! Representative of the populace!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
What if May's deal is rejected again (very likely) and it isn't a long delay to Brexit?
Considering you live and breathe Brexit, it is without question the monkey on your back, I am surprised you haven't read and/or understood the latest Government motion. The position is to determine whether May's deal can be accepted, in which case the Government will request a Brexit delay to 30 June 2019, or if it is rejected in which case the Government will seek an extended delay for Parliament to find a new way. Those are the TWO options the Government is putting to MPs next week (and possibly also the week after) and what I have mirrored in this poll. It is a difficult question for both leavers and remainers but the choice at this specific instance is binary.

what is meant by "long delay?" Weeks? Months? Years?
The Government hasn't specified but the suggestion is years.

Isn't this being couched as you don't like the results of your own polls?
:confused: Erm, its a forum and a snapshot poll is an interesting way to incite debate. Especially one that mirrors the decision parliament is making next week. There are no right and wrong answers and a week from now the ground may have shifted anyway.

Last edited:

Sonic67

Banned
Considering you live and breathe Brexit, it is without question the monkey on your back,
But it's never been something that bothers you...
I am surprised you haven't read and/or understood the latest Government motion.
Both.
The position is to determine whether May's deal can be accepted, in which case the Government will request a Brexit delay to 30 June 2019, or if it is rejected in which case the Government will seek an extended delay for Parliament to find a new way.
Yep. So right there is another option for your poll.
Those are the TWO options the Government is putting to MPs next week (and possibly also the week after) and what I have mirrored in this poll.
June is "a very long delay?"
It is a difficult question for both leavers and remainers but the choice at this specific instance is binary.
Nope. If you want a binary choice perhaps the poll should be May's Deal/Delay. "Very long delay" is loaded.
The Government hasn't specified but the suggestion is years.
You are ignoring that some changes could be made to May's deal which might make it acceptable to Parliament. It might not be acceptable to the EU but then you've said you are eliminating the EU from this. And as you say, "suggestion is years." So vague.
:confused: Erm, its a forum and a snapshot poll is an interesting way to incite debate.
Yep. It's a forum. :confused: And you aren't so keen when people give "the wrong answers."

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Yep. So right there is another option for your poll.
I am really not sure you do understand. The 30 June 2019 is tied to May's deal. She is changing the legislation in order to give her until that time to get her deal through Parliament along with the appropriate SIs. If she can't pass her deal, then she will seek a longer extension and we will hold European elections.

June is "a very long delay?"
30 June 2019 is linked to the first option!

"Very long delay" is loaded.
Very long delay is the terminology the Government is putting to the ERG and DUP...

You are ignoring that some changes could be made to May's deal which might make it acceptable to Parliament.
No I'm not. If you think that will happen before Meaningful Vote 3, vote for option 1.

Pacifico

Banned
I'd rather a delay and then see what happens when we have to take part in the Euro elections - I believe the other thread is showing about 2/3rds in favor of brexit parties.

We could take advantage of any delay to have Mrs May and Olly Robbins tried for treason at the Old Bailey - will provide some entertainment for the masses.

Sonic67

Banned
I am really not sure you do understand. The 30 June 2019 is tied to May's deal. She is changing the legislation in order to give her until that time to get her deal through Parliament along with the appropriate SIs. If she can't pass her deal, then she will seek a longer extension and we will hold European elections.
And that's assuming Bercow even allows further votes.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
And that's assuming Bercow even allows further votes.
Hence why the question was framed "Which Brexit path should Parliament take next week?". Bercow refusing to allow the matter back before the Commons would be option 2 :)

Sonic67

Banned
Hence why the question was framed "Which Brexit path should Parliament take next week?". Bercow refusing to allow the matter back before the Commons would be option 2 :)
Parliament doesn't listen to their own electorate. I'm sure they aren't waiting on the result of the poll. :)

Sonic67

Banned
Nor is it likely to happen IMHO.
Your other predictions were the SNP would be finished after the UK Independence vote and that we'd never vote to leave the EU.

Will EU leaders agree to extending Brexit?

So will they or won't they agree to an extension? What conditions could they demand and how long would Brexit be delayed by?

Like so many things to do with Brexit - the answer is: we're not 100% certain.

Note.
1. If we are still in and we vote in the EU elections I think there will be large support for antiEU parties. I have a feeling the EU might also think that. Do they want more years of Farage and an antiEU UK?
2. The EU might be looking at years of the UK arguing and being in the EU. And at the end, still no answer. I'm not sure they want that. Their own businesses and planning needs some certainty.
3. It only takes one veto. Out of all of them.
4. There needs to be a good reason to grant a delay for the UK. What will be that reason?

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Your other predictions were the SNP would be finished after the UK Independence vote and that we'd never vote to leave the EU.
Well, as I have been posting of the forum for 17 odd years, I think one or two errors is acceptable. Which country do you think will block the extension?

Sonic67

Banned
Well, as I have been posting of the forum for 17 odd years, I think one or two errors is acceptable.
Pretty major errors. Entirely getting the mood of nations wrong.
Which country do you think will block the extension?
Who cares? But if any do I'll send them a thank you.

Sonic67

Banned
Are you confused?

I want the EU to not give us a delay. I'd love the EU to deliver the UK's Brexit.

Hence here.

I hope they tell us "where to go."

upload_2019-3-16_16-18-29.png

D

Deleted member 13294

I think the EU might offer an extension to the end of 2020 which effectively brings in Mays deal by the back door.

The EU get most of the £39bn, we get a transition period and keep the status quo for now.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I think the EU might offer an extension to the end of 2020 which effectively brings in Mays deal by the back door.

The EU get most of the £39bn, we get a transition period and keep the status quo for now.
Yes, I think that is a fairly reasonable assessment. I suspect we are going to have at least several more attempts to get May's deal through Parliament first though.

D

Deleted member 27989

You've left out 'Other...' from the options. This poll is seriously flawed and setup as a biased projection of your own views...

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
You've left out 'Other...' from the options. This poll is seriously flawed and setup as a biased projection of your own views...
The poll is meant to represent the choice of Parliament next week (i.e. voting on the Government motion) which is why it closes a few hours before meaningful vote 3. We can always have other polls when the choices after that become apparent...

If you are aware of another Government motion to be tabled next Tuesday, I am all ears. However, just because you don't like the options on the table, doesn't mean they are biased. I suspect very few people are happy with either option being voted next week - which is why, of course, the poll results will be so interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom