Brexit Party 'Fastest growing Political Force'

It's ridiculous hyperbole, but at the end of the day it is just hyperbole.

Surely nobody seriously believes they think we should sink foreign boats as if we were at war?
Having seen what many on the far right and left are saying these days I'd rather not presume it's hyperbole to be honest. They're elected officials. We shouldn't have to read between any lines and make presumptions. There are plenty out there who believe in outrageous solutions to problems.

Like throwing milkshake over people who have a different view to them?
Yep. Exactly that. If someone told me they were going to do that to a politician they disagreed with I'd presume it was hyperbole. Sadly not in this day and age.

Having seen what many on the far right and left are saying these days I'd rather not presume it's hyperbole to be honest. They're elected officials. We shouldn't have to read between any lines and make presumptions. There are plenty out there who believe in outrageous solutions to problems.
You too?

You honestly think we will be torpedoing fishing boats? Shall we start with it being a war crime and go from there or what?

It's just hyperbole.

From the same article.

Contacted by the Guardian, Rowland said: “It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. A bit of bravado made in solidarity with Brexit party MEP June Mummery, who had just been physically fronted by a Lib Dem MEP for standing up for British fishermen.”

It's just hyperbole.

From the same article.

Contacted by the Guardian, Rowland said: “It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. A bit of bravado made in solidarity with Brexit party MEP June Mummery, who had just been physically fronted by a Lib Dem MEP for standing up for British fishermen.”

Yes. I 99% believe that. But I'd rather my politicians didn't invoke military hyperbole like that. Inappropriate and unnecessary. But it panders to a certain element of society I suppose.

Control the language, if thought corrupts language, language can also corrupt thought.

Oh sorry. Quoting 1984.

All these scumbag Labour Party antisemites need to turn around and say it's just hyperbole then maybe they wouldn't get such a hard time.

It was a joke. When you give me that look, it's a joke.

Quoting The Simpsons.

Yes. I 99% believe that. But I'd rather my politicians didn't invoke military hyperbole like that. Inappropriate and unnecessary. But it panders to a certain element of society I suppose.

What element does the EU pander to when they say there is a 'special place in hell' for those that believe in Brexit?

What element does the EU pander to when they say there is a 'special place in hell' for those that believe in Brexit?

Wasn’t the actual tweet from Tusk;

“I've been wondering what that special place in hell looks like, for those who promoted #Brexit, without even a sketch of a plan how to carry it out safely.”

In reference to the speech he gave.

Redirect Notice

It appeared to be aimed specifically at those responsible for campaigning for it, rather than simply those who simply, ‘believe in Brexit’ (which could be anyone who voted to Leave).

It appeared to be aimed specifically at those responsible for campaigning for it, rather than simply those who simply, ‘believe in Brexit’ (which could be anyone who voted to Leave).

Seems a bit vague - lots of people campaigned for it, you could even include those who signed petitions in favour of Brexit.

But then he did also say: “According to our Pope, hell is still empty. It means there is a lot of space.” :D

Seems a bit vague - lots of people campaigned for it, you could even include those who signed petitions in favour of Brexit.

But then he did also say: “According to our Pope, hell is still empty. It means there is a lot of space.” :D

And would those people who signed petitions be responsible for actually delivering Brexit?

It doesn’t seem vague at all, he was aiming it specifically at those who promoted Brexit without actually having a plan to deliver it.

No - but they were campaigning for it which is what you suggested Tusk meant.

...those responsible for campaigning for it, rather than simply those who simply, ‘believe in Brexit’ (which could be anyone who voted to Leave).

I think, to anyone who isn’t trying to twist a quote, it’s pretty clear who it was aimed at :smashin:

No - but they were campaigning for it which is what you suggested Tusk meant.

An pedantic argument accusing someone based not on what the they said, but pedantically over the meaning of a phrase that a second party used in an attempt to explain what they thought he meant ... which they already stated is not in the way you are trying to imply.

... sure sounds like a clean cut case you have there.

An pedantic argument accusing someone based not on what the they said, but pedantically over the meaning of a phrase that a second party used in an attempt to explain what they thought he meant ... which they already stated is not in the way you are trying to imply.

... sure sounds like a clean cut case you have there.

was all that worth the time it took to type?

Well you wern't clear so perhaps its not as much as you think? :hiya:

I’d suggest it’s more wilful ignorance on your part, seeing as the quote is much more ‘shocking’ when written as if it’s aimed at all people who voted Leave.

I refer m'lud to the previous...."It appeared to be aimed specifically at those responsible for campaigning for it"

Seems that now it appears not.. :D

I refer m'lud to the previous...."It appeared to be aimed specifically at those responsible for campaigning for it"

Seems that now it appears not.. :D

And who do you think most people would say ‘campaigned’ for Brexit. Someone who signed a petition, or someone who toured round on the bus and urged people to vote for it?

And who do you think most people would say ‘campaigned’ for Brexit. Someone who signed a petition, or someone who toured round on the bus and urged people to vote for it?

If you sign a petition, go on a march, attend a rally etc are you not now campaigning for what you want to achieve?

I would kindly suggest that you are stretching the English language well past its breaking point.

If you sign a petition, go on a march, attend a rally etc are you not now campaigning for what you want to achieve?

I would kindly suggest that you are stretching the English language well past its breaking point.

I would suggest that you’re trying to make the quote fit your narrative, when to most people it’s pretty clear who was being targeted.

If you go on a march to support the Conservative Party in a GE, are you supporting their manifesto (and therefore their plans to implement it) or are you expecting to go to Parliament yourself and deliver it?

If he he only meant a handful of people or just Boris, was it a nice thing to say? Please try and be objective and not let your personal feelings about Boris cloud your judgement. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom