Brexit Party - Anti-Islam Tweets

Yes, one from fifteen. How odd you'd pick out that one example.

Why are the Guardian using a call for free speech as an example of islamophobia?

You dont think they have an agenda?.. :rotfl:

Did you actually read the link - one of the examples of 'islamopohobia' was some guy criticizing Tommy Robinson being banned by Facebook!

So if it is islamopohobic to believe in free speech count me in.. :rolleyes:
Oh come on. There is no defence for what has happened here. I simply don’t understand why they’ve been reinstated. There is no point and no need to entertain people like that in any party.

Oh come on. There is no defence for what has happened here. I simply don’t understand why they’ve been reinstated. There is no point and no need to entertain people like that in any party.

Its rather absurd to suggest that you should only be in favor of free speech for people that you agree with. I dont agree with a lot of what Robinson says but I do disagree with attempts to silence him from expressing a point of view.

For example I disagreed with Thatchers attempt to silence the IRA - that didnt mean that I supported blowing people to bits or associating with the likes of Jeremy Corbyn. But apparently I would have been, in the Guardians eyes, an islamophobist.. :facepalm:

No you wouldn't as the IRA weren't Islamophobic :rolleyes: In your analogy they would have labelled you an IRA Sympathiser

Its rather absurd to suggest that you should only be in favor of free speech for people that you agree with. I dont agree with a lot of what Robinson says but I do disagree with attempts to silence him from expressing a point of view.

For example I disagreed with Thatchers attempt to silence the IRA - that didnt mean that I supported blowing people to bits or associating with the likes of Jeremy Corbyn. But apparently I would have been, in the Guardians eyes, an islamophobist.. :facepalm:
To me the point was more of a general one. The facts are that members were reinstated who aren’t fit and proper to be representatives. If they like that vile creature so much then they should be part of his party.

Don't feed him, as @rancidpunk mentioned, he cherry picked 1 out of 15. The remaining 14 racists obviously don't fit his free speech angle quite as well.

Indeed. No problem with the racists, just those who try to stop racists from spreading it online.

Did you actually read the link - one of the examples of 'islamopohobia' was some guy criticizing Tommy Robinson being banned by Facebook!

So if it is islamopohobic to believe in free speech count me in.. :rolleyes:

Can we count you in if it's anti-semitic to believe in free speech as well? After all, in for a penny and all that... :rolleyes:

Christ, it's only Monday and we've hit rock bottom already.

Can we count you in if it's anti-semitic to believe in free speech as well? After all, in for a penny and all that... :rolleyes:
Probably yes if it's the Tories, but no if anyone to their left.

To me the point was more of a general one. The facts are that members were reinstated who aren’t fit and proper to be representatives. If they like that vile creature so much then they should be part of his party.

But he didnt express support for Robinson - he supported his right to free speech.

Do you see the difference?

That depends on what you use your right to free speech for.

Methinks you dont quite understand the concept of free speech.

But he didnt express support for Robinson
Yep because retweeting a post describing Yaxley-Lennon as a patriot is totally about standing up for free speech. Not an ounce of support there :rolleyes:.

The prick made that shit up and the party swallowed it.

Yep because retweeting a post describing Yaxley-Lennon as a patriot is totally about standing up for free speech. Not an ounce of support there :rolleyes:.

The prick made that sh*t up and the party swallowed it.

I see the concept of free speech went straight over your head.. :rotfl:

Just like it went straight over Tommy’s......

There’s free speech and then there’s the dangerous, vindictive bile that he comes out with. Facebook were absolutely right to ban him.

There’s free speech and then there’s the dangerous, vindictive bile that he comes out with. Facebook were absolutely right to ban him.

Especially since Facebook is a company providing services to it's customers, not speakers corner, it's subject to the markets which many on the right support as the best moderator of right and wrong rather than state interference.
It makes the right wing complaining about a lack of free speech in a company open to market forces rather ironic.

That depends on what you use your right to free speech for.

Methinks you dont quite understand the concept of free speech.

Given that we don't have a right to free speech in the UK, perhaps you need to research what the law in the UK allows.

Methinks you are spending too much time in the USA and muddling up First Amendment rights with UK law.

you've tried that response on a few here now :facepalm:, go forth and multiply troll

And you are entitled to your view - but freedom of speech means that other people are allowed to hold different views.

Given that we don't have a right to free speech in the UK, perhaps you need to research what the law in the UK allows.

Methinks you are spending too much time in the USA and muddling up First Amendment rights with UK law.

Sorry - you are totally confused. Human Rights Act 1998 Article 10, “everyone has the right to freedom of expression” in the UK

Sorry - you are totally confused. Human Rights Act 1998 Article 10, “everyone has the right to freedom of expression” in the UK

Is that the same as freedom of speech?

Under Article 10 of the Human Rights Act 1998, “everyone has the right to freedom of expression” in the UK. But the law states that this freedom “may be subject to formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society”.

Those restrictions may be “in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary”.

A number of different UK laws outlaw hate speech. Among them is Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 (POA), which makes it an offence for a person to use “threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour that causes, or is likely to cause, another person harassment, alarm or distress”. This law has been revised over the years to include language that is deemed to incite “racial and religious hatred”, as well as “hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation” and language that “encourages terrorism”.

Hate speech vs. free speech: what are the UK laws?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom