• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Brexit Negotiations - Now Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 293381

David Davis and his team have arrived in Brussels and started the discussions. Apparently, so far, the talks are setting out the structure for initial negotiations.

We are now in the next stage of Brexit: the negotiations with the EU leading up to the final stage of leaving the EU by the end of March 2019.

Marv

Distinguished Member
It's going to be hilarious watching month by month the UK giving into EU demands all for a trade deal. What a mess.

>Implying this will happen
>Implying that we won't walk away and dine on the delicious tears of the EU

Enki

Banned
Davis already looks exhausted. Its Uk capitulation in the left press, big concessions in the right press. As expected.

IronGiant

Let's try and keep this one civil gents.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
I'm impressed with the EU's Michel Barnier.

Our team will hopefully ask him for fully audited EU accounts, as part of this first stage "divorce bill".

How can we agree on any figures, unless they are audited?

D

Deleted member 27989

Davis already looks exhausted. Its Uk capitulation in the left press, big concessions in the right press. As expected.
Really? Did you watch the press conference?

It's all about the joint benefits at the moment. Classic early public stages with a lot of back patting.

Perhaps irrational but I'm a little concern about the lack of English comprehension with their lead negotiators. I think that is going to be quite tough when it comes to the finer details and nuances.

Faust

Shouldn't you have called this thread - capitulation? I commented in the other thread that even as late as Friday our two brexit departments couldn't agree as to whether they were giving in to EU demands or insisting on parallel talks.

After watching that docu/drama about Theresa and Boris it hardly inspires confidence. What a shower of backstabbing *********s they truly are.

Last edited:

Faust

Our team will hopefully ask him for fully audited EU accounts, as part of this first stage "divorce bill".

How can we agree on any figures, unless they are audited?

Oh I'm quite confident they will work out a set of figures audited or not which our lot will try to spin as a 'victory' which of course it won't be.

Synchro

Distinguished Member
In terms of numbers the ECB balance sheet is roughly 43% of the Eurozone’s GDP, though with Draghi’s ongoing asset purchase program this will blow out further.

I think they should focus on this, during the negotiations.

Last edited:

m4rky_m4rk

Mr Barnier said “We have to commit ourselves now mutually to guarantee rights to citizens on either side of the Channel so they can continue their lives as in the past,”

Barnier is more concerned for my rights as an expat than my own government. I never before had so little trust in the conservative party.

Enki

Banned
Really? Did you watch the press conference?

It's all about the joint benefits at the moment. Classic early public stages with a lot of back patting.

Perhaps irrational but I'm a little concern about the lack of English comprehension with their lead negotiators. I think that is going to be quite tough when it comes to the finer details and nuances.

Yes I did, reading several articles from the left and right, had my echo chamber subsequently unchallenged and my original confirmation bias reinforced and still conclude UK Brexit is now like flaccid areflexia, thus pretty much going to plan.

Faust

Mr Barnier said “We have to commit ourselves now mutually to guarantee rights to citizens on either side of the Channel so they can continue their lives as in the past,”

Barnier is more concerned for my rights as an expat than my own government. I never before had so little trust in the conservative party.

I'm afraid in this post-brexit world you won't count as far as the UK are concerned.

Faust

Yes I did, reading several articles from the left and right, had my echo chamber subsequently unchallenged and my original confirmation bias reinforced and still conclude UK Brexit is now like flaccid areflexia, thus pretty much going to plan.

Didn't you pick up on David Davis claiming this would be the best deal ever for the UK? :laugh:

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Barnier is more concerned for my rights as an expat than my own government.

Make your mind up! :laugh:

If you're an expat, then 'your own government' is the one running the country you have chosen to now be a citizen of.

You'll get there eventually, it just takes a while. :)

D

Deleted member 27989

If you're an expat, then 'your own government' is the one running the country you have chosen to now be a citizen of.

Slight correction but a significant one; resident not citizen.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
early morning typo :)

Enki

Banned
Didn't you pick up on David Davis claiming this would be the best deal ever for the UK? :laugh:

Have lot of time for David Davis at his best when working alongside Shami Chakrabarti on Civil liberties or taking Prime Minister to the European Court of Justice and over internet surveillance and winning. However, he has the penchant to be a bit 'Swiss tony from the fast show', Europe and Brexit being a good example.

m4rky_m4rk

early morning typo :)

Early morning sarcastic attitude too or just always sarcastic piss taker.

You are wrong....I vote in the UK referendums and elections. I vote for whom I want to be in government. I am British but happen to be living and working in the EU.

Expatriate definition >>> a person who lives outside their native country.

Made your mind up now or still not there yet?

Faust

Me thinks you need to look at resident as opposed to citizen rights as someone else has commented on. As such your last sentence leaves you with egg on your face. :)

Faust

Have lot of time for David Davis at his best when working alongside Shami Chakrabarti on Civil liberties or taking Prime Minister to the European Court of Justice and over internet surveillance and winning. However, he has the penchant to be a bit 'Swiss tony from the fast show', Europe and Brexit being a good example.

You're absolutely correct, on civil liberties there are few better people. He's also a very able politician and although he has a good grasp of EU legislation he's not the one pulling the strings.

D

Deleted member 13294

Really?

Can you find a statement from any government minister saying anything other than they see settling the status of citizens on both sides as a priority?

Theresa May offered this to Angela Merkel last year but was rebuffed.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Early morning sarcastic attitude too or just always sarcastic piss taker.

You are wrong....I vote in the UK referendums and elections. I vote for whom I want to be in government. I am British but happen to be living and working in the EU.

Expatriate definition >>> a person who lives outside their native country.

Made your mind up now or still not there yet?

Where do you pay your taxes?

What number do you call in an emergency?

Who empties your bins?

Why should securing your rights to live and work in Austria be a concern for the UK government, when it's too busy trying to secure the rights of EU nationals living and working here?

As the beneficiary of your economic contribution shouldn't it be the Austrian government fighting for your rights? or is Austria just your 'bit on the side' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom