Brexit - Events leading up to triggering Article 50

• Thread starter Deleted member 293381
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is - is this bad journalism because of Brexit or is it despite Brexit ?

The last thing we need round here is an outbreak of 'entente cordiale'.......

I notice the Rt Hon Boris Johnson, current Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, is again in the news:

Boris Johnson denies telling ambassadors he supports free movement of people

Is this another foo-paa by Boris, or are the ambassadors telling porkies?
My bet is that whatever he said at the lunch meeting was misinterpreted. I can't see Boris saying he supports freedom of movement to such a group (even if he privately does - Chatham House Rules or not), and nor can I see four ambassadors all lying. IMHO, of course. :cool:

Not sure what that has to do with brexit

1. Despite all the doom and gloom about higher prices and the fall of sterling the BBC says Christmas will be cheap.

2. I thought you scoured through links? The BBC links it to Brexit.

"But with widespread warnings about the increased cost of importing food, many shoppers may not find prices so cheap next year.

The warnings follow the decline in the value of sterling, as a result of the European referendum in June."

Need any more help?

Indeed I did hence why i asked what relevance it had, the article is quite clear the fall in prices is due to Aldi and Lidl.
? see post above. The BBC makes a link, take it up with them.

The "warning" is that prices will be more expensive next year, so nothing to do with this Christmas then

The article states that this Christmas may be the cheapest ever, possibly due to the increased prominence of Aldi and Lidl but warns that this trend may well reverse next year as the rising food prices caused by the falling pound (as a consequence of Brexit) begin to bite.

Conclusion: Brexit hasn't had an effect on this year's Christmas.

Conclusion: Brexit hasn't had an effect on this year's Christmas.

I'm not so sure, do we get to exercise a veto on Turkey or not? I quite fancy goose this year.

I'm not so sure, do we get to exercise a veto on Turkey or not? I quite fancy goose this year.
There has always been a veto on Turkey. Anyway Turkeys are in abundance this year and they're all voting for Christmas! :)

Its ruined mine
Well then
happy-new-year.jpg

I was talking about the claim "Brexit puts the future of the world’s largest nuclear fusion reactor, based in Oxfordshire, in doubt", which is obviously nonsense. I haven't particularly looked into Euratom, which the article speculates we "might" leave.

JET = The Joint European Torus. However given it's been a crucial part of the ITER project, I doubt they will stop operating it. Other countries involved in ITER may well step in if the EU withdraws funding. Purely because the ITER Project is behind schedule and MIT, Lockhead Martin (and other US Military Industrial Complex involved companies) etc are all gunning for Nuclear Fusion.

If we ditched HS2 and Trident, we probably could fund a Nuclear Fusion Project. But pigs will fly first before a Government makes that kind of serious R&D investment without much in the way of guarantees something useful will be produced at the end of it.

I see net migration to June was near record levels at 335k & that a record number or EU citizens came to the UK at least 284k, sustainable, not.

I see net migration to June was near record levels at 335k & that a record number or EU citizens came to the UK at least 284k, sustainable, not.
...and yet unemployment is down. The secret truth is we need these immigrants to come here as they are an importang catalyst for our economy. They make us richer financially and culturally.

...and yet unemployment is down. The secret truth is we need these immigrants to come here as they are an importang catalyst for our economy. They make us richer financially and culturally.

Its not the truth at all, they drive down wages, push house prices up, put extra strain on schools, the NHS amongst others.

Also keep prices low, not sure how they push up houses prices if their wages are lower than "indigenous" workers, school pressure maybe but investment sorts that, nhs pressure is more older people than immigrants

Also keep prices low, not sure how they push up houses prices if their wages are lower than "indigenous" workers, school pressure maybe but investment sorts that, nhs pressure is more older people than immigrants

Do they? There's plenty evidence they drive house prices up, its easy when they live 8 - 10 or more to a house. Where's the money going to come from for more investment in schools? That old chestnut, the great majority of those old people have paid into the system for many years unlike migrants.

Do you have some of that evidence ?

An old chestnut is still a chestnut

Do they? There's plenty evidence they drive house prices up, its easy when they live 8 - 10 or more to a house. Where's the money going to come from for more investment in schools? That old chestnut, the great majority of those old people have paid into the system for many years unlike migrants.

Ah yes, and don't forget those old people have to pay tax on their pensions so they have essentially spent nearly their entire lives paying into a system that doesn't really help them anymore, yet it falls over backwards to help the immigrant that's just turned up on our shores!

The fact that they have paid In doesn't detract from it's unfortunately they who are putting the strain on the NHS . Maybe all governments over many generations should have put that money away for them.

yes, and don't forget those old people have to pay tax on their pensions so they have essentially spent nearly their entire lives paying into a system that doesn't really help them anymore, yet it falls over backwards to help the immigrant that's just turned up on our shores!

In what way does it "fall over backwards" to help immigrants .

Yes, they've decided where their priorities lie.

My uncle paid into the system all his life, took out a private pension like he was told and grafted every hour god sent to build a life for his family.

He lives in a rural area, and his knees have packed in and his lower spin is crumbling, apparently due to the decades he spent kneeling down working as a self employed plumber - He has real trouble walking he's been told he will be in a wheel chair in the next 12 months.

He is 67 years old and his wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers last year and now needs 24 hour attention. His pension was with Equitable Life, and despite the promises of government, has not had a penny in compensation for all the money he lost when those crooks had trousered all that money.

Last year some clown in a Range Rover hit them overtaking and they spent most of the next 3 month in and out of hospital

He has just been told that he can go and get a job, and had his disability revoked and his motability car taken away. Who's going to watch his wife - well the powers that be aren't too sure about that - they are suggesting she may need to go into care.

They are now housebound in the middle of nowhere, where there is the occasional bus service.

90k per person per year eh ? - Seems like there is plenty of money to spend when they want to.

It is precisely the fact that the government and certain parts of the media have been scapegoating and demonising certain sections of society that has led to a significant proportion of the public to support and give a mandate for cuts to benefits and services.

The public voted for austerity and the government has run with it by changing the culture at the DWP to one of minimising the number of people who receive benefits by restricting the criteria of what and who qualifies.

Many people in the media and on these forums supported the cuts, often using the qualification "genuine" to imply that it would only effect those that were swinging the lead, over selling their problems or just plain and simply faking it.
However, many illnesses, problems and the effects on individuals lives are subjective, as it what people consider a disability or not. "I had a bad back, but I managed to get up and out to work", or similar phrases have been oft been parroted as an argument to indicate people are just taking the Michael.

The problem is that reality and this theoretical world where "genuine" people get what they need and the cheats and shirkers get a kick up the backside are quite different.

I see Zac Goldsmith has lost the Richmond Park by-election:
Richmond Park by-election: Lib Dems' Sarah Olney defeats Zac Goldsmith

Lib Dems oust Zac Goldsmith in Richmond Park by-election - BBC News

Lib Dems unseat Zac Goldsmith in Richmond Park byelection

"The people of Richmond Park and North Kingston have sent a shockwave through this Conservative Brexit government, and our message is clear: we do not want a hard Brexit. We do not want to be pulled out of the single market, and we will not let intolerance, division and fear win."

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom