Breaking News: OPPO Digital to cease development of new products

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Phil Hinton, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
      Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,131
    2. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,055
      this sucks! Proves that the digital world will be taking over before we know it. Glad I've got one already!

3. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,657
      Why couldn't this have been posted yesterday? :(

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    4. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,806
      Not surprised, they're a niche manufacturer in a niche market , when they're trying to sell players at twice the price of everyone else there was always a danger this would happen. Doesn't bother me in the slightest cos I've always thought they were overpriced and buggier than other brands, I can understand why some people might be upset but they were a very small fish in a very big pond , not a scenario for long term financial viability unfortunately.

5. HenryHonda

HenryHonda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      Oh-err..! Just reserved a UDP-203 at Richer Sounds today - supposed to be collecting it tomorrow...

This, after getting very positive response from Oppo USA tech support yesterday re future firmware update delivering HDR10+.

Will go for it anyway I think - after having good experience with BDP-83, then BDP-103 and Sonica DAC, and good firmware and excellent tech support.

Terrible shame, but I suspect that these products will become classics for some time to come...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    6. SteveeJ

SteveeJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +476
      Shame but not enough folks prepared to pay inflated prices.

7. StanleyKubrick

StanleyKubrick

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +149
      Great and I bought mines 6 weeks ago...Bootsale soon then...New buyer...Panasonic with their new OPPO Killer out this year, break open the Saki!!! You Frucked Oppo!!

8. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +962
      I wonder why this decision has been made? We heard no indication that sales of current Oppo products were flagging. Prices for second-hand Oppo products will hold up very well now. So now the field will be left to the still-unreleased Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K Blu-ray player, which was aimed between the Oppo 203 and the 205. Ah well, looks like I'll now be hanging on to my ancient Oppo 95 for a long time!

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,674
      The feedback I had was that Oppo is choosing to concentrate on their phone business which is doing serious numbers.

While I appreciate that from a forum perspective, the 4K players will be the talking point, the two products I'll miss will be the HA-2SE and the PM-1, both of which remain exceptional combinations of design, features and performance and- less affected by obsolescence- will probably continue to do so for quite a while.

10. Ajaans

Ajaans
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      I've always heard that they were head and shoulders above the others, but I could never afford one. I have a Samsung 4k player I bought for under $200 and it's awesome if you ask me. Still kind of sad. I hope streaming doesn't take over, its nowhere near the quality of a physical disk IMO.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    11. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +119
      Although the 93/95 are quite old now the last f/w was Oct 2014. Recently on AVS I've seen links apparently from Oppo US to download a version (not EU) to fix a HDCP 2.2 incompatibility.

This fix didn't even make beta on the website, or a EU release, so it would be nice if there was a final release made for the last few generations of player.

12. jakimp

jakimp

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +850
      bummer but I suspect I wont be buying another player for several years anyway - if at all if streaming is the end game?

13. jwsg

jwsg

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +119
      How does this impact upon the Cambridge Audio player?

14. StanleyKubrick

StanleyKubrick

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +149
      Sorry to double dip..
      Physical discs are dying we know that, but for people like myself (and yes I'm thinking about myself again) who have a maximum 9mbps internet speed and I pay dearly for that, streaming is just not an option, so physical discs are my only way to watch true high quality, so to hear this is just absolutely a kick up the ging gangs.
      It's a terrible shame to see this happen, as OPPO are one of the last true bastions of av who showed the big boys a thing or three. :facepalm: Goodbye OPPO, and thanks for all the fish.

• Like Like x 10
      • Agree Agree x 8
      • List
    15. SonOfSJ

SonOfSJ

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +962
      @Ed Selley Thank you for your post #9, Mr Selley! And, for your sake, I'm sorry about the incipient demises of the HA-2SE and the PM-1, not that I'm quite sure what they are ...

16. HenryHonda

HenryHonda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      I can agree with you that they were relatively niche, but they were almost unique in the versatility and configurability of their products. I regularly used the 'extras' - such as Tidal streaming, streaming from my NAS, SACD & DVD-Audio etc. Not overpriced, if you actually wanted all those features. Buggy? - not in my personal experience. Have not really experienced any significant problems, except the odd minor one which was quickly fixed by a firmware update. Great, speedy and polite tech service support.

See above - not inflated prices if you used all the features and valued good tech support.

- and a strong vote from me for the Sonica DAC! Top quality ESS Sabre dacs, totally transformed my hifi system, and added Tidal and local network streaming at the same time.

17. HenryHonda

HenryHonda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      Yep, the new Panny player looks suspiciously like a poorly disguised Oppo UDP... :confused:

18. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +648
      The Oppo 203 can be purchased in the USA for the equivalent for £395 at current exchange rates which is £250 LESS than it's available over here in the UK. Perhaps if Oppo aligned prices a little better it may be more affordable and may be in more households? I had a Sony X800, sold it got an Oppo 203, sold it and got the X800 again. Apart from perhaps build quality (and the Sony is good) I didn't find the Oppo offered me anymore (in fact it offered less). In a world where we are getting digital delivery it's one thing that I think Oppo dropped a ball on by not including it - although I'm sure lots would disagree. Very sad though and does signify that we are heading in a direction which is more for accessibility rather than quality. I'll be buying my disks until the bitter end - I like having something which is mine and not something that can be taken away from me if someone goes bust!

19. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,390
      Except inside...

Sad news though, especially for those who will loose their jobs in the UK and USA. Loss of competition is usually not good news for consumers.

But if Pansonic, and reputedly Pioneer, can introduce new models at the £1k mark it's hard to see why the decision was made. Those two obviously expect to sell enough units to cover their R&D and tooling costs. Oppo Digital has already done that setup side, so even if they continued just to sell the 203/205 for several years some money could still have been made (unless they were manufacturing at a loss).

If the recently announced Panasonic UB9000 gets pulled and never appears it may be an indication that the blu-ray/UHD physical media market could be in trouble.
      Oppo Digital is/was a different division to the phone one. I would have thought it better to be a big fish in a small pond (players) with few other fish; than one of many fish, most much larger in a very, very big pond (Phones). Or even better, a fish in several ponds...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    20. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,847
      Well obviously Oppo thought differently. Presumably if they thought Oppo Digital was likely to be a continuing money spinner then they wouldn’t have canned it.

21. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,390
      Obviously.
      Although retrenchment to core market areas is often a sign that things are not going well overall with a company. Oppo Q4 2017 sales figures show a downturn to 27.4 million phones from 31.6 million phones in Q4 2016. And that quarter covers the all important Black Friday and Christmas period. Sales figures for 2018 will show if that was just a blip or something more.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    22. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,847
      I haven’t seen their figures nor don’t know anything about the 4th quarter 2017 phone market. Perhaps it was just a blip. Presumably they are better placed to understand where future profits are likely to arise and how sustainable their non core activities are. It is their business after all.

Whatever the case my 203 goes back tomorrow since the main reason for paying inflated Oppo prices was for ongoing development and new features over years.

23. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,390
      Although OPPO note "existing products will continue to be supported, warranties will still be valid, and both in-warranty and out-of-warranty repair services will continue to be available. Firmware will continue to be maintained and updates released from time to time"
      Basically all that seems to have changed in the short term of this and next year is they aren't going to be made any more. No one promised you 'new features' over years. That's what new models are for...

24. mtenga

mtenga

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,847
      That’s what they say now but there is no guarantee and why would they continue expending revenue on development of a product they don’t make anymore? What is sure is that they are closing the doors on the UK support, establishing some office in Europe and outsourcing support to a third party.

Historically Oppo has supported their bluray players years after release, not just with firmware updates but continued development. That was one of the major selling points and to some extent justified their prices.

25. popelife

popelife

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +86
      I bought a new 203 only last week... and I love it (after owning a Samsung 8500 for a year - solid player, but poor ergonomics - and a Sony X800 which was all kinds of awful and got returned immediately).

I now don’t understand why I didn’t buy a 203 before.

No way will I be returning my oppo just because the company is winding up. I have really enjoyed using it for the last few days, and I fully expect to go on enjoying it.

Sad news. Time will tell if the Panasonic 9000 can hold a candle to the 203/205. But if you don’t have a 203, I’d rush out and get one while you can.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    26. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,004

^^^This!

When I first started coming over to the far-east regularly, I got quite excited to see signs for Oppo everywhere; I was hoping to see and hear their range of disc spinners - only to find that every store was selling their phones (which do look nice) and I still haven’t seen any of their AV stuff, even at the AV stores over here (in KL at the moment)!

....and not to forget that the UK is rapidly becoming an irrelevance on the world stage. We are simply not a big enough market to have a say in what gets developed and/or sold in the UK, these decisions are taken elsewhere. Whether we like it or not, products will be shaped by demand in other, far more populous, and technologically advanced countries, than ours - and I don’t mean the States!

I can certainly see why Oppo choose to concentrate on their mobile division, mobile technology is huge over here. Plenty of money available for aspirational buyers - everybody has/wants/needs a mobile phone, the market in just one country probably dwarfs the worldwide market for exclusive disc spinners.

Sad news, but sadly not surprising.

27. doug56hl

doug56hl
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,390
      I'll pass on that thanks, although if Panasonic hadn't included DV playback in new models I'd have probably jumped on an Oppo by now as my DV disc numbers are growing. Although closing down often goes along with fire sales to get rid of stock...

Not wanting to kick someone when they are down but much cheaper players have held a candle to the Oppo in the all important play discs all the way through without a glitch area for some time. Which is another thing I've been wating for over 15 months for Oppo to improve on. All the other Oppo features may be nice but if I can't be certain a player won't skip or freeze I'm not interested, although I could be if the price was right...;)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    28. Cold blooded

Cold blooded

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +82
      .... for me this is like when Pioneer quit at the Kuro, Tag Mclaren audio folded (audiolab /iag acquisition never continued the aspirational development path)... Oppo have been a true product for those in the know... It's a shame.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    29. HenryHonda

HenryHonda

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +112
      So you reckon I'd be making a mistake going for one now? I've held off for quite some time, admittedly not paying as much attention to the threads as I possibly should have...

I was getting the impression (perhaps wrongly) that the firmware update cycles would have dealt with any significant issues by now - but you appear to think not?

I wonder where that leaves the Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which appears to be based on the 203 - albeit as a transport, without DACs?

Tricky decision later today - do I walk away from my reserved 203 or not :thumbsdow

30. Cold blooded

Cold blooded

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +82
      I wouldn't want to influence you either way... But it's a fair financial commitment for a fair performing unit.... How many bluray players do you think you'll buy/own beyond your next one? Perhaps this will be the last! ... Seems Oppo leave the game at the top.... But will Panasonic (for instance )take the game higher later this year without Oppo competition .. .. I'm glad I don't have your decision to make...