breaking into home cinema ..slowly

M

martin davies

hope im directing this question on the correct forum ??

im looking to get started into the home cinema revolution, i know im probably years behind, but its taken me this long to convince the mrs....

anyway with the start up budget of about 250 quid ( got american keyboard, so didnt want to use $ symbol) !!!!!

im looking to buy dvd player first , then when she releases more funds get an av/amp & speakers.etc etc

so my question is , when looking for a dvd player , with the intention of buying an av/amp later on , is there anything i should be bearing in mind, ie :are connections on dvds pretty much standard connections on av/amps , and what are the best connections to go for ????

Originally posted by martin davies
so my question is , when looking for a dvd player , with the intention of buying an av/amp later on , is there anything i should be bearing in mind, ie :are connections on dvds pretty much standard connections on av/amps , and what are the best connections to go for ????

Since you're buying the DVD player first, without knowing which AV receiver/amp you're ultimately going to match it up with, you need to make sure that the DVD player has maximum connection flexibility. Therefore, go for one which has both optical and coaxial digital audio out connections. Might also want to consider how many scart connections you need. If your TV only has one RGB enabled scart socket, then if you want to have both the DVD and a STB connected via RGB then two scarts on the DVD can be very useful. The second scart on the DVD player can be used to pass-through the signal from the STB to the TV.

These are probably the most important concerns for you for the time being. RGB scart is the standard connection for hooking a DVD to a TV. Other connection types, such as component, become more relevant when you start thinking about moving on to plasmas and projectors.

Only exception would be if you currently have a Toshiba TV. The most modern models are often fitted with component connections, for matching up with a suitably equipped DVD (which of course includes Toshiba players). Whether component connection in this situation gives better results than RGB via scart is something for the experts on the forum to debate. If you're not a Tosh TV person, then don't worry about.

HTH

Go for a multi region Toshiba SD220. Excellent player at a bargain price (can be had for £130ish quid) with all the connections you'll ever want.

thanks for the response, do you have any personal preferences to what player ???

cheers

I have a 210 (the earlier model) and am perfectly happy with it (for now).

Having read various posts, and read articles online how would you rate either the marantz dv4200 or pioneer dv 646 ???
both i think in the mid 200 bracket

Check out Amazon who are doing Pioneer/panasonic/Toshiba players for £120 inc free delivery.

The links are in the special offers section of the board.

matt

Originally posted by martin davies

anyway with the start up budget of about 250 quid ( got american keyboard, so didnt want to use $ symbol) !!!!!

change the keyboard settings in Regional Setting in control panel

ive already tried the regional settings, but seem to get rid of this dam $$$$$$$$$$$$ sign !!!!!

unless im doing it wrong??

In control panel/regional settings, you need to first add UK keyboard. Then remove US keyboard. Then restart. Sorted.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom