1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Breaking-In" Plasma TVs - Unnecesary?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by WillC, Oct 14, 2005.

1. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in my local Panasonic shop today and I got chatting to the sales person. He was a very honest guy, I found myself trusting (and agreeing) with what he said ten times more than I would with a sales assistant in Dixons or Currys. He knew what he was talking about.

Anyway, I asked him if image retention/screen burn is a worry, and what I could do to minimise the chances of it happening. I told him about the 200 hour "breaking in" period that a lot of people on this board seem to be undertaking.

He said he has worked in the shop for over 2 years and in that time he's never told anyone to "break in" their plasma TV, and in those 2 years only 1 person has returned their plasma due to a fault (and it had nothing to do with image retention/screen burn).

He said that some of the old plasmas may have been susceptable to screen burn but none of the new models should have any problems at all. In fact, he seemed certain that I wouldn't have any problems.

Like I said, if this was a sales person in Dixons I wouldn't have believed him, but this guy seemed to know what he was talking about, and he wasn't just saying it to make me buy one of his shop's plasma TVs, because I made it clear I was getting one elsewhere for cheaper!

Thoughts?

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Plasma screens get better after 200 hours. IMHO.

3. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But do they really need to be set to low contrast (etc) during those first 200 hours?

If they do, then surely the manufacturer would make the buyer aware of this?

4. music

music

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    it's just not an issue these days. relax.

5. wrightyred

wrightyred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Originally Posted by PDP-434HDE
    Plasma screens get better after 200 hours. IMHO

Of couse they do you then turn up the colour and settings so it really does get better.............. :eek:

wrightyred.

Still out on this one......... :spam:

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I have a PHD8 - I tried to cause image retention (the fore-runner to screen burn) on my screen so as to be able to give customers good advice. On day 1, I put up a static image for an hour - absolutely no trace of image retention.

There have been reports here of the PV500 suffering from image retention but none, so far as I am aware, with the commercial panels.

The problem seems to be that nobody is prepared to say "don't worry" for fear that someone will come back and say "having read your advice my screen is burned".

The phosphors in the screen seem to need a short run-in period - they change marginally when first energised - so best to let them have this run-in. Car comparisons can be up for flaming but here goes - go back 20 years and every car manufacturer would have suggested a long run-in period, keep revs below x RPM, don't stay in too high a gear going up a hill, don't drive at a constant speed etc. Recent cars don't have such dire warnings - recent plasmas equally.

In the first 100 hours. Take it out of dynamic mode (the likely out-of-the-box mode). Contrast to under 50%. Set brightnesss to look good. Avoid static images like speedometers on games, don't watch 4:3 movies on the 16:9 screen for hours on end - but at least with the Panasonic panels don't panic - chill out and enjoy them.

If your screen gets burnt (it won't if you have read my advice), don't sue me! If it is from another manufacturer it may get burnt.

7. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would ask him if the warranty covers screen burn if they are that confident.

I don't believe it is a problem with the new Pannys, I don't think anyone on here has had screen burn yet on the new vieras or panels.

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,034
    I haven't taken any special precautions with mine. I've just set the colour etc in normal mode, to the way I like it. And thats it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I just don't think its that often, and its to easy to become paranoid.

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    WillC

There are two forms of Image Retention - Permanent and Non Permanent.

The current range of Plasma Display and PlasmaTV from the likes of Panasonic, Pioneer and Fujitsu are way more resistant to Non Permanent retention than past generations of screens and also other brands (even current models).

Take any Pioneer XDE out of its box on day one and fire it up with no Input signal and look closely - you'll see a Non Permanent square in the centre of the image with colour bars; this is the last Test pattern the factory used during a soak alignment test. It'll disappear after a few minutes of playing any video source.

The screens do hold a Non Permanent image more readily over the first couple of hundred hours of use and they do seem to 'snap' in after a couple of hundred hours too - its odd the measurements seem to indicate not much changes from new but having lived with about a Dozen 'From New' screens over the past couple of years they do seem to change after about 200 hours; or maybe it takes that long for my visual processing to 'snap' in on a new TV :)

Personally I'd say to anyone to stick their new Display or TV into Cinema mode when its new - and keep in mind lots of folk will be using theses devices with a PC so what holds for Video may not hold so well for static PC images.

Best regards

Joe

10. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read what I have read on this forum I would personally break it in. Simply for the fact that after 200hrs if screenburn does occur I won't be forever wondering if I could have prevented it.

If you loop a menu / logo free dvd around you'll crack through the 200hrs very quickly than if you do it watching normal tv (in most cases anyhow)

11. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would definately go easy on a plasma for the first 200 hrs just in case

12. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    agree i notice now that the picture on my panny viera is much improved than the first few months,took me a long time to get used to it,but after 10 months use now it just gets better and better,watching the rugby league final on sky now and the pic is stunning,really good colours and depth of view.I would break it mate

13. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am quite cetrain that my Pioneer 435 needed running in.
    It does not hurt to be careful the first two months.
    My advice. Turn contrast low and do no leave the same channel (logo) on for hours at a time.

14. adiii

adiii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    WHI T E PAPER
    Myt h b u s t i n g - Jus t t he Fac t s on P lasma TV Per f o rmance
    Sponsored by: Pioneer
    Eric Haruki Bob O’Donnell
    August 2005
    IDC OPINION

Test Methodology - ISF test technicians left a static video game (Half Life 2) menu
    image on each TV for a period of 48 hours to simulate a full weekend "burn". Post 48-
    hour observations were quantified and documented as: 1 = Not Visible, 2 = Barely
    Visible, 3 = Somewhat Visible, 4 = Easily Visible, 5 = Readily Visible and Clearly
    Defined. A subsequent 24-hour movie loop was then run in an attempt to "fix" any
    image retention caused by the static video game menu.
    Test Results – After the 48-hour test, all LCD and microdisplay rear projection
    televisions scored a "1", as there was no indication of any image retention after the
    test period. Plasma, on the other hand, did show clear signs of image retention, with
    all displays scoring a "5" after 48-hours of displaying the video game menu. However,
    after running a movie loop on each plasma display for 24 hours, ISF testers could not
    perceive the previously retained images while watching video on the plasmas after
    the 24 hour "fix". As such, plasma’s image retention score went back down to a "1".
    Key Takeaway – Central to this test is the acknowledgement that our demonstration
    was an extreme scenario that few consumers would ever experience with their
    televisions. Most potential buyers scared off by the notion of plasma "burn-in" are
    more focused on the damage caused while pausing a football game or their favorite
    show on TiVo for a few minutes while running around the house. Our tests show that
    current plasma technology can tolerate a full 48-hour session on pause, and then
    resume its original state with no permanent effects after a 24-hour video loop. Thus,
    while it is unlikely that a consumer of a current generation (or later) plasma TV will
    even notice any image retention caused by 5 or 10 or even 60 minutes on pause, it is
    most definite that any such image retention will disappear over the course of
    subsequent TV watching.

15. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    when i got my PW7 i put the settings all on zero then just notched them up untill i was happy with the pic (i believe 0 on a panel is equal to 50 on a plasma tv) so its not like you have to have the screen pitch black for the first 200 hours.just dont have contrast and brightness blazing as some of my mates CRT`s are that high in contrast dark scenes in movies are completely lost on them lol.

the third day i think it was i left my pw7 on and fell asleep after my night shift.i was playing a sky+ recording and when the programme had finished a message saying "the programme has ended" or something was displayed on the panel static for maybe 3 hours and not one bit of image retention.there was some staining on the underwear when i first woke up :rotfl:

17. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that i'm more or less sure I'll be going for a Panasonic 42PE50 within the next cuople of weeks (waiting for some home improvement to be finished) - I am definitely going to be a bit cautious with the plasma for the first 200 hrs ...

I am thinking abt zooming into the picture to get rid of the logo during this period - now does anyone know if the Zoom settings on a Panasonic Viera can be set so that everytime you switch on the tele, it will zoom in automatically ?

It would be great if I could set the plasma to zoom in by itself, so if the kids put on the plasma to watch their Cbeebies, they wouldn't have to worry about zooming in.. since this would be done automatically.. is this possible or would the zoom in have to be done manually each time?

18. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
    i too have left the end of recorded programme on screen for a good few hours on saturday nights after coming in watching recorded match of the day after having a good few beers and falling asleep!!!!!!

19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the pv500 you just leave it to the desired setting, ie 16:9 or zoom 2 etc and it will stay on that setting (everytime u switch on) for whatever input you are using that ratio on....so all you need do is check all the offending stations and make sure the logos are zoomed out of the picture....Im guessing the tv you are getting will be based on a similar system Majid

20. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's brilliant Lionheart, just what I was after.. I'm assuming this feature would be present on the 42Pe50 as well.

Would be nice if I could go for the 42PV500 (not that i'm not going to buy it because its more expensive) - but at the moment it appears there's more than a few issues with the PV500 range, from buzzing, whistling, flickering contrast, to image retention/burn-in issues.

The feedback i've had tells me that the 42PE50 doesn't suffer from any of these issues, like its big brother.. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will hopefully take the plunge. (i'm still paranoid about screen burn, but i guess its a choice between having a big screen and not having one, because i cant see myself going for a rear projection, DLP or LCD.. can't stand any of them!)

21. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    all of these issues are really nothing, i guarentee if you did a survey on all owners 99% of them would be very happy with their purchase. ive had 2 42pv500's now with no line, no whistling (never even heard of this apart from 1 person on here). no flickering contrast and certainly not a single problem with retention or screenburn.

Any plasma can have problems incl the 42pe50 you just need to treat it nice for the first 200 hours and then it plain sailing.

What you have to think about is how many people have made complaints about these various issues, maybe 10-15 at the most! Then consider this the pv500 is the no.1 selling plasma and for good reason, ITS VERY VERY GOOD!! There have been thousands sold without any problems.

I think youre worrying too much, you wont regret it when you get youre plasma.

22. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not wanting to worry you Majid but in the time you have been thinking about buying the huge variety of different sets you have been keen on I've owned 10 different tv's. 8 were LCD and 2 Plasma (see my previous posts if your interested) and they all had a variety of different faults. I'm now happy with the PHD8 I've got now but it could still go wrong. You just need to actually decide and buy something. If you notice a fault you can always send it back.....I did!

23. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with tscotsman Majid on the pv500....ive had mine for a few months now and its the best tv I have ever owned....the picture and sound are absolutely spot on, but as blackeyepurple says any tv can develop a fault.. then thats the same for anything...but from what Ive read the 42PE50 is another stunner of a tv :)

24. Johnny Blazey

Johnny Blazey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only seen screen burn with static images over extensive periods of time.

One of which was being used as a timetable in a train station and left on permanantly for days on end.

I would not worry about burn if I was a home user and I would not listen to any advice about "running in" the plasma for 200 hours etc (complete waffle)

Logo's on channels such as MTV are not present in adverts so this is not a worry.

Take it from me, I have seen and used many many plasma and it is only in extreme conditions as I have described above where you will see screen burn.

Enjoy your plasma, dot let it be a burden on your mind.

25. The Cowboy

The Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Got my 436XDE and am delighted with it. One thing I've noticed though, is that on the Sin City DVD my eye seems to catch little flashes of yellow when the image is transtioning between black and white areas at speed (which that film does all the time, obviously). This occurs whether I run RGB Scart, 720p HDMI or Component – but the effect seems to be lessening with time. Also, with other films – House of Daggers – it's not noticeable, but I can occasionally see it when white text quickly disappears on a black screen while playing Resident Evil 4 on GameCube. Thoughts? I don't think it's a big thing at all, just wondered if it was common to plasmas?

26. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill considered advice JB.... A. Why take chances over such a small amount of time and inconvenience and B. If you are wrong (which personally I think you are) anyone taking your advice is gambling with alot of money and in for some major hassle if things do go wrong just for the sake of a little bit of extra care at the beginning.

27. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,486
    Even though I took the same caution...I don't think the advice is that ill....If a break-in period was required than the manufacturer has got a duty to advice the user of such a break-in period.....As far as I am aware this is not the case with any of the manufacturers...

I am firmly in the camp of rubbish! The 200 hour thing may be the case but no manufacturer has documented it just like they do with speakers and with amps etc..., I think the effect is more inbetween the ears than anywhere else...

People stop fussing and analysing and start enjoying what you've got! The emperor is really naked ;-)

28. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then it begs the questions dejongj....Why did you take this caution?....or were you simply following the crowd?

29. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a survey a while back on the pv500, it turned out about 20% wern't happy or had issues.

I have a 37" and it's fine but one is five is a concern..............

30. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Also goes for Hitachi, too :thumbsup:

I wouldn't have a problem if my Sky box locked up for hours.
    My 7200 stays on 100% when I take the missus out just like a normal telly and I don't even think about it :thumbsup: