1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking In Panasonic, Black Bars ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jimmyidle, Jun 11, 2005.

1. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Got my new plasma on monday so is still breaking it in. I've set it to cinema mode to keep the brightness and contrast down for the first 100 hours or so but my question is.... I've heard you should keep away from showing 4.3 mode to avoid screen burn from the bars at the side of the screen, but is it ok to watch a dvd that shows the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Or should I be using the zoom to get rid of the bars?? I dont like using the zoom as you loose some of the picture and it looks far better in panasonic auto.
    Thanks
    Jim

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    You should be OK on the new sets, as long as you watch full screen every so often.
    You will be OK to watch a DVD for, say, 3 hours, but then watch somehin full screen for a bit.
    I am not worried about it, I think they are pretty bullet-proof.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you should be able to set the black bars to grey in screen saver options for additional safety

4. Moleshome

Moleshome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pardon my ignorance but how do you get screen burn with black? Surely black is the absence of signal, if anything I would have expected grey to be worse for screen burn.

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I think with 4:3 mode it's a question of the picture part of the display wearing more quickly than the black bars section. Might be wrong though but I'm sure I've read that somewhere.

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Screen burn is a misleading term. If you have two portions of the screen, one displaying black and the other displaying white or bright colours then the phosphors of the two different sections of screen will age at different rates. The white section will become dull and the black section remain bright.

Image retention is where you can perceive an after image but it will fade quickly over a short time.

Screen burn refers to where the damage is permanent and the after image is permanently visiible and does not fade.

I believe the PV500 has a setting where you can set grey boarders as opposed to black when viewing 4:3 material in order to minimise the effect. However, because when viewing DVD the top and bottom bars are part of the signal there is not much you can do with the TV settings other than zoom the picture.

As posted above if you make sure that you watch a mix of signals rather than exclusively watch movie DVD's then you should be okay. The latest Panny models are virtually bullet proof as far as screen burn is concerned but not totally immune if watching the same signal 24/7.

S.

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Nothing is bullet proof not even the Panny's in this respect. But they have proven to be more resilient than others.

All screens suffer from screen burn apart from LCD. CRT's are not immune and Plasma are the most susceptible to it. The uneven burn caused by channel logos is more apparent that's all but the whole screen is actually ageing as you watch it.

Sensible viewing in the first 200 hrs with sparing use of contrast and brightness and you should be alright from there on in.

8. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks All. My plasma is a th42pe50b, cant find any options in the menu for changing the colour of the bars, also cant find a screen saver option, any clues?????

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Put the telly temporarily into 4:3 aspect to view the desired changes

Menu

Set Up

Side panel > Toggle between the 4 settings

10. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, will go and give it a go.